Regarding Court Packing

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California
The court packing plan won't work until the Dems make DC and Puerto Rico into states. That will be difficult because lots of existing states don't want them in the union.

Last edited:
The court packing plan won't work until the Dems make DC and Puerto Rico into states. That will be difficult because most Puerto Ricans don't want to be a state and lots of existing states don't want them, either.

Congress can increase the number of positions on the Supreme Court any time it wants to. No need to add more states.

The court packing plan won't work until the Dems make DC and Puerto Rico into states. That will be difficult because most Puerto Ricans don't want to be a state and lots of existing states don't want them, either.

Congress can increase the number of positions on the Supreme Court any time it wants to. No need to add more states.
PSSSST! The dumbocrats want control of the Senate so they can control which judges are approved for the Supreme Ct. The Constitution allows only 2 senators per state. The Dumbos need 4 more Democratic senators to get control. That means they need 2 more Democratic states. If the number of justices is increased and the added seats are filled with Conservative Republicans, they won't get what they want.Is that too complex for you?

Last edited:

First off D.C. can not become a State because the Capital of this Country can not reside in a State...

Next Puerto Rico held a vote on Statehood and it was approved a few years back in 2017 and vote on it again this year on November 3rd, so I do not know where you get the majority of Puerto Rican’s are against Statehood.

Also Democrats will gain control of the Senate this election after Trump loses to Biden this November 3rd, so Democrats will pack the court if they want...

I hope they do not do it because then it will become a new game for both sides that will lead to the Court becoming a bigger joke than it has become!

PSSSST! The dumbocrats want control of the Senate so they can control which judges are approved for the Supreme Ct. The Constitution allows only 2 senators per state. That means the Dumbos need 4 more Democratic senators to get control. That means they need 2 more Democratic states. Is that too complex for you?

No dumb ass.

The U.S. Constitution established the Supreme Court but left it to Congress to decide how many justices should make up the court. The Judiciary Act of 1789 set the number at six: a chief justice and five associate justices. In 1807, Congress increased the number of justices to seven; in 1837, the number was bumped up to nine; and in 1863, it rose to 10. In 1866, Congress passed the Judicial Circuits Act, which shrank the number of justices back down to seven and prevented President Andrew Johnson from appointing anyone new to the court. Three years later, in 1869, Congress raised the number of justices to nine, where it has stood ever since. In 1937, in an effort to create a court more friendly to his New Deal programs, President Franklin Roosevelt attempted to convince Congress to pass legislation that would allow a new justice to be added to the court—for a total of up to 15 members—for every justice over 70 who opted not to retire. Congress didn’t go for FDR’s plan.

PSSSST! The dumbocrats want control of the Senate so they can control which judges are approved for the Supreme Ct. The Constitution allows only 2 senators per state. The Dumbos need 4 more Democratic senators to get control. That means they need 2 more Democratic states. If the number of justices is increased and the added seats are filled with Conservative Republicans, they won't get what they want.Is that too complex for you?
I think what is to complex... for you that is, is that every couple of years there is a chance the make up of the senate changes. At that point doesn’t matter when the Dems will have a chance to change the number of SCOTUS judges. All without the need to add states.

Having said that they probably should considering the fact that the GOP "majority" represents only 48 percent of the populace.

I'll tell you this. Time is not on the GOP's side and pretty soon demographics will make it impossible to rig the system enough to allow for minority rule. At that point I think the GOP will lament having taken of all the guardrails that facilitate compromise.

First off D.C. can not become a State because the Capital of this Country can not reside in a State...

Next Puerto Rico held a vote on Statehood and it was approved a few years back in 2017 and vote on it again this year on November 3rd, so I do not know where you get the majority of Puerto Rican’s are against Statehood.

Also Democrats will gain control of the Senate this election after Trump loses to Biden this November 3rd, so Democrats will pack the court if they want...

I hope they do not do it because then it will become a new game for both sides that will lead to the Court becoming a bigger joke than it has become!
ROTFL! The Democrats say they want to make DC a state. Go argue with them. Packing the court requires majority approval of both houses of Congress and some people will vote against it. Congress voted down FDR's packing plan in 1937. Senate seats have NOTHING to do with who is the President, so that is pure bullshit, What you gave me is baseless bullshit.

I think what is to complex... for you that is, is that every couple of years there is a chance the make up of the senate changes. At that point doesn’t matter when the Dems will have a chance to change the number of SCOTUS judges. All without the need to add states.

Having said that they probably should considering the fact that the GOP "majority" represents only 48 percent of the populace.

I'll tell you this. Time is not on the GOP's side and pretty soon demographics will make it impossible to rig the system enough to allow for minority rule. At that point I think the GOP will lament having taken of all the guardrails that facilitate compromise.
Right now, the GOP controls 197 seats in the House of Representatives, 53 seats in the US Senate, 26 state governorships and 52% of the state legislative seats. Keep dreaming.

PSSSST! The dumbocrats want control of the Senate so they can control which judges are approved for the Supreme Ct. The Constitution allows only 2 senators per state. That means the Dumbos need 4 more Democratic senators to get control. That means they need 2 more Democratic states. Is that too complex for you?

No dumb ass.

The U.S. Constitution established the Supreme Court but left it to Congress to decide how many justices should make up the court. The Judiciary Act of 1789 set the number at six: a chief justice and five associate justices. In 1807, Congress increased the number of justices to seven; in 1837, the number was bumped up to nine; and in 1863, it rose to 10. In 1866, Congress passed the Judicial Circuits Act, which shrank the number of justices back down to seven and prevented President Andrew Johnson from appointing anyone new to the court. Three years later, in 1869, Congress raised the number of justices to nine, where it has stood ever since. In 1937, in an effort to create a court more friendly to his New Deal programs, President Franklin Roosevelt attempted to convince Congress to pass legislation that would allow a new justice to be added to the court—for a total of up to 15 members—for every justice over 70 who opted not to retire. Congress didn’t go for FDR’s plan.
I am tired of wasting time on your endless bullshit. I will ignore anything else you post.

Right now, the GOP controls 197 seats in the House of Representatives, 53 seats in the US Senate, 26 state governorships and 52% of the state legislative seats. Keep dreaming.

That will change in 1 week.

ROTFL! The Democrats say they want to make DC a state. Go argue with them. Packing the court requires majority approval of both houses of Congress and some people will vote against it. Congress voted down FDR's packing plan in 1937. Senate seats have NOTHING to do with who is the President, so that is pure bullshit, What you gave me is baseless bullshit.

You are a true blue moron!

First off the Senate will turn Democrat this November because many will vote straight ticket, so the GOP will lose seats which will turn the Senate Blue and to deny this is your own stupidity!

Second, you are the idiot that wrote about D.C. becoming a State so go educate yourself about why it can not and Democrats should also do the same damn thing!

The idea that the Democrats would actually move forward with any plan to add DC and PR as states in order to gain a more decisive advantage in senate seats is plain silly, as that advantage would eventually flip back in favor of the other party (as these things always do), but it would set in motion an absurd series of political maneuvers every time the other party had the majority. For instance, the Republicans in Congress and in certain red states could then split those red states into multiple states, and gain 2 senators for each of the "new" states. Then the Dems do the same thing next time around. And so on, and so forth. See how that starts down a very slippery slope? Once states start being added solely for political gain, it will become a feature of both state and federal political campaigns, and an expected occurrence among citizens of politically valuable states.

The idea that the Democrats would actually move forward with any plan to add DC and PR as states in order to gain a more decisive advantage in senate seats is plain silly, as that advantage would eventually flip back in favor of the other party (as these things always do), but it would set in motion an absurd series of political maneuvers every time the other party had the majority. For instance, the Republicans in Congress and in certain red states could then split those red states into multiple states, and gain 2 senators for each of the "new" states. Then the Dems do the same thing next time around. And so on, and so forth. See how that starts down a very slippery slope? Once states start being added solely for political gain, it will become a feature of both state and federal political campaigns, and an expected occurrence among citizens of politically valuable states.

I agree it is a stupid move that always backfires on the Democrats!

Nuclear option and they were warned about it usage and yet they did it and now blame the right for their stupidity!

Also D.C. can not become a State, so anyone suggesting it failed their U.S. Government course in grade school!

First off the Senate will turn Democrat this November because many will vote straight ticket, so the GOP will lose seats which will turn the Senate Blue and to deny this is your own stupidity!

Second, you are the idiot that wrote about D.C. becoming a State so go educate yourself about why it can not and Democrats should also do the same damn thing!

"Second, you are the idiot that wrote about D.C. becoming a State so go educate yourself about why it can not and Democrats should also do the same damn thing!"

Actually, it technically can become a state, it would just require extra steps. While you are correct that the Constitution establishes a federal district for the nation's Capital which shall not reside in a state, the Constitution says nothing about the federal district's size. And the size has previously been changed several times throughout our nation's history, including being made smaller. Consistent with that history, the federal district could theoretically be reduced in size to just the few city blocks where the federal government resides, with the rest of the geographic territory that is currently Washington, D.C. eligible to become the State of Washington, D.C. (or whatever they might decide to call it).

"Second, you are the idiot that wrote about D.C. becoming a State so go educate yourself about why it can not and Democrats should also do the same damn thing!"

Actually, it technically can become a state, it would just require extra steps. While you are correct that the Constitution establishes a federal district for the nation's Capital which shall not reside in a state, the Constitution says nothing about the federal district's size. And the size has previously been changed several times throughout our nation's history, including being made smaller. Consistent with that history, the federal district could certainly be reduced in size to just the few city blocks where the federal government resides, with the rest of the geographic territory that is currently Washington, D.C. eligible to become the State of Washington, D.C. (or whatever they might decide to call it).

True, but what the Democrats would attempt to do is put the Capital within the State then claim they did not know they couldn’t do it...

I do not see D.C. becoming a State and either Maryland or Virginia would just reclaim the land which they should if those people want Statehood and not add another State to the Union...

Democrats aren’t going to pack the court but they are going to depoliticize it by having 2 terms expire in each presidency.

Democrats aren’t going to pack the court but they are going to depoliticize it by having 2 terms expire in each presidency.

Not happening!
Are you running for senate? Otherwise STFU.

Make me tough guy!

Explain to the board how you would implement such a idea when most Constitutional Scholars state it would take a Constitutional Amendment to do what you are suggesting!?!

If not then why don’t you Shut the Fuck up about your delusional wishes that will never come true!

This why the Left wants to destroy the Independent Judiciary

BREAKING: Gavin Newsom's Abuse of Power Declared Unconstitutional; Permanent Injunction Issued.

The Judge issued a permanent injunction restraining the Governor from issuing further unconstitutional orders.

In the 9-page ruling, the Court found that the California Emergency Services Act (CESA) does not “delegate to the Governor the power to legislate”; that Newsom’s Executive Order N-67-20 regarding the November 2020 general election was not authorized by CESA because it amended sections of the Elections Code.

Regarding the CESA, the Court had this to say:

The CESA does not delegate to the Governor the power to legislate. Article Three of the CESA (Gov’t Code $8565 -8574) enumerates the powers of the Governor during a declared state of emergency.​

The Court found that Sections 8567 and 8571 of CESA limits the Governor’s power, only allowing him to “make, amend, and rescind orders and regulations” and to “suspend any regulatory statute, or statute prescribing the procedure for conduct of state business, or the orders, rules or regulations of any state agency.”

The ruling continues:
“The Governor does not have the power or authority to assume the Legislature’s role of creating legislative policy and enactments. Because Executive Order N-67-20 amended sections of the Elections Code it exceeds the Governor’s authority under CESA and renders Executive Order N-67-20 invalid.”
The Court granted declaratory relief,

The CESA does not give the Governor the power or authority to amend statutory law or create new statutory law even during a state of emergency.​

Noting that “it is reasonably probable the Governor will continue issuing executive orders which amend statutory law…violating the California Constitution…and giving rise to a multiplicity of judicial proceedings,” the Court issued a permanent injunction against Newsom:
Gavin Newsom, in his official capacity as Governor of the State of California is enjoined and prohibited from exercising any power under the California Emergency Services Act…which amends, alters, or changes existing statutory law or makes new statutory law or legislative policy.
This is a victory for separation of powers. The Governor has continued to create and change state law without public input and without the deliberative process provided by the Legislature. Today the judicial branch again gave him the check that was needed and that the Constitution requires.
“Nobody disputes that there are actions that should be taken to keep people safe during an emergency. But that doesn’t mean that we put our Constitution and free society on hold by centralizing all power in the hands of one man.”
In the days following the election, Gavin Newsom can expect there to be legal challenges to a number of his Executive Orders that are improper legislation by executive fiat.

Forum List

Back