Reassement of the oceans as a CO2 sink

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Climate Change: The Next Generation: Tas van Ommen: Warmer oceans release CO2 faster than thought

Warmer oceans release CO2 faster than thought
by Wendy Zukerman, New Scientist, April 25, 2011As the world's oceans warm, their massive stores of dissolved carbon dioxide may be quick to bubble back out into the atmosphere and amplify the greenhouse effect, according to a new study.
The oceans capture around 30% of human carbon dioxide emissions and hide it in their depths. This slows the march of global warming somewhat. But climate records from the end of the last ice age show that as temperatures climb, the trend reverses and the oceans emit CO2, which exacerbates warming.
Previous studies have suggested that it takes between 400 and 1,300 years for this to happen. But now the most precise analysis to date has whittled that figure down.
................................................................................................................

Worse warming?
And while more precise than the others, the team's study also comes with significant uncertainty: plus or minus 200 years, meaning there could actually be no lag time between rising temperatures and gases being released from the atmosphere.
"They've nailed it," says Paul Fraser, a greenhouse gas researcher at Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO). He adds that despite the uncertainty, "this is a really good data set that they've got."
Van Ommen says climate modelling will be needed before we can speculate how the results relate to current warming.
The work was presented at the Greenhouse 2011 conference in Cairns earlier this month.
Warmer oceans release CO2 faster than thought - environment - 25 April 2011 - New Scientist

Granny says, "Dat's right, it's the end times - purt soon the oceans gonna be extinct, an' den we all gonna die...
:eek:
Scientists voice extinction fears over acidic oceans
Fri, Oct 04, 2013 - The oceans are more acidic now than they have been for at least 300 million years, due to carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels, and a mass extinction of key species may already be on its way as a result, leading marine scientists warned on Wednesday.
An international audit of the health of the oceans has found that overfishing and pollution are also contributing to the crisis, in a combination of destructive forces that are imperilling marine life, on which billions of people depend for their nutrition and livelihood. In the starkest warning yet of the threat to ocean health, the International Program on the State of the Ocean (IPSO) said: “This [acidification] is unprecedented in the Earth’s known history. We are entering an unknown territory of marine ecosystem change, and exposing organisms to intolerable evolutionary pressure. The next mass extinction may have already begun.” It published its findings in the State of the Oceans report, collated every two years from global monitoring and other research studies.

Oxford University professor of biology Alex Rogers said: “The health of the ocean is spiraling downwards far more rapidly than we had thought. We are seeing greater change, happening faster, and the effects are more imminent than previously anticipated.” Coral is particularly at risk. Increased acidity dissolves the calcium carbonate skeletons that form the structure of reefs, and rising temperatures lead to bleaching where the corals lose symbiotic algae that they rely on. The report says that world governments’ current pledges to curb carbon emissions would not go far enough or fast enough to save many reefs. There is a timelag of several decades between the carbon being emitted and the effects on seas, meaning further acidification and warming of the oceans are inevitable.

Corals are vital to the health of fisheries, because they act as nurseries to young fish and smaller species that provide food for bigger ones. Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is absorbed by the seas and makes them more acidic. IPSO found the situation was even more dire than that laid out by top climate scientists in their landmark report last week. In absorbing carbon and heat from the atmosphere, the world’s oceans have shielded humans from the worst effects of global warming, the marine scientists said. This has slowed the rate of climate change on land, but its profound effects on marine life are only now being understood.

Current rates of carbon release into the oceans are 10 times faster than those before the last major species extinction, which was the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum extinction, about 55 million years ago. The IPSO scientists can tell that the current ocean acidification is the highest for 300 million years from geological records. They called for strong action by governments to limit carbon concentrations in the atmosphere to no more than 450 parts per million of carbon dioxide equivalent. That would require urgent and deep reductions in fossil fuel use.

Scientists voice extinction fears over acidic oceans - Taipei Times

Does anyone here seriously believe that, even should every denier go to his room and lock the door, the human species will take sufficient and sufficiently timely action?

I'm beginning to think that it may well be time to shift our emphasis to adaptation. Our grandchildren are going to be SO screwed.

I really want the names and the writings of the loudest deniers preserved somewhere so when people are pushing grocery carts down the road, living on rats and cockroaches and drinking from puddles in the road, they'll know who's to blame.

Climate Change: The Next Generation: Tas van Ommen: Warmer oceans release CO2 faster than thought

Warmer oceans release CO2 faster than thought
by Wendy Zukerman, New Scientist, April 25, 2011As the world's oceans warm, their massive stores of dissolved carbon dioxide may be quick to bubble back out into the atmosphere and amplify the greenhouse effect, according to a new study.
The oceans capture around 30% of human carbon dioxide emissions and hide it in their depths. This slows the march of global warming somewhat. But climate records from the end of the last ice age show that as temperatures climb, the trend reverses and the oceans emit CO2, which exacerbates warming.
Previous studies have suggested that it takes between 400 and 1,300 years for this to happen. But now the most precise analysis to date has whittled that figure down.
................................................................................................................

Worse warming?
And while more precise than the others, the team's study also comes with significant uncertainty: plus or minus 200 years, meaning there could actually be no lag time between rising temperatures and gases being released from the atmosphere.
"They've nailed it," says Paul Fraser, a greenhouse gas researcher at Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO). He adds that despite the uncertainty, "this is a really good data set that they've got."
Van Ommen says climate modelling will be needed before we can speculate how the results relate to current warming.
The work was presented at the Greenhouse 2011 conference in Cairns earlier this month.
Warmer oceans release CO2 faster than thought - environment - 25 April 2011 - New Scientist

Wow.

There's not a single "Fact" about AGW that's not totally malleable

Last year it was "It's not warmer because the oceans are eating twice the CO2 we thought they were"

Skooks, my AGW model is predicting that it's going to be warmer in some areas and cooler in other.

Does anyone here seriously believe that, even should every denier go to his room and lock the door, the human species will take sufficient and sufficiently timely action?

I'm beginning to think that it may well be time to shift our emphasis to adaptation. Our grandchildren are going to be SO screwed.

I really want the names and the writings of the loudest deniers preserved somewhere so when people are pushing grocery carts down the road, living on rats and cockroaches and drinking from puddles in the road, they'll know who's to blame.

That scenario is what will happen if ignorant savages like you are put in charge of running this nation. Unfortunately, to a much to great of an extent, you already are. Hence the decline of America.

That scenario is what will happen if ignorant savages like you are put in charge of running this nation. Unfortunately, to a much to great of an extent, you already are. Hence the decline of America.

OK. You see a declining America. I see one in a cleansing flux, where ignorant people like you have far less influence. Those that are continually educating themselves are the ones that are going to determine the future of this great nation, not the willfully ignorant.

OK. You see a declining America. I see one in a cleansing flux, where ignorant people like you have far less influence. Those that are continually educating themselves are the ones that are going to determine the future of this great nation, not the willfully ignorant.

No one with a brain has failed to notice that the more Democrat endorsed policies we implement, the slower our economy grows, the longer recessions last, the higher permanent unemployment goes, the more people we have on food stamps and "disability" and the faster the national debt climbs. This country is headed for a collapse as the result of boobs like you who believe themselves to be "educated." The problem is that everything you know is wrong.

Stupid people do seem to breed more chillens.

Influence?

Ray.......we're going into the shitter and it doesn't matter if its the DUMS or the GOP running things. And Geeez......only took me 35 years to extricate myself from the ruse of the struggle between ideologies.:lol::lol: For the last 40+ years, we're being run into a ditch in very methodical fashion be it Bush, Obama or any number of other phonies. Anybody who thinks there is going to be an ideological win is stuck so deep in the matrix its not real. The Big Boys run things now......and nothing and nobody is stopping them. Each ideology will be kept just happy enough!! But for sure, every swinging dick in this forum is going to be mighty fucking pissed when the gig is up and the dollar collapses. People aren't paying attention but all the pieces have been being put into place for some time now!!! But most people......they don't want to know because well.......feeling all good and fuzzy about things is what its all about!!!

>>>

The Dangers of an All-powerful Federal Reserve | Washington's Blog

http://www.stopthecrime.net/docs/nasa-thefutureof-war.pdf

Two conversations with two insiders: ?Expect the unexpected?

5 Years After the Financial Crisis, The Big Banks Are Still Committing Massive Crimes | Washington's Blog

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/metadata_equals.html

The Armageddon Looting Machine: The Looming Mass Destruction from Derivatives | Washington's Blog

Not one person on this message board gets what Dodd/Frank Sec. 716 means for the country next time the derivitives bubble bursts!!!

The Dodd-Frank Act

The wheels come completely off......while lunkheads listen to Rush Limbaugh, Chris Matthews, Bill Orielly and Rachel Maddow thinking one side or the other is going to win!!!!:2up::2up::2up::funnyface: Its gonna be fucking awesome!!!

Last edited:
I'd get back to you on that Skooks, if only I could see what it was you wrote. All I get is "This message is hidden because skookerasbil is on your ignore list". Go figger.

Forum List

Back