Real Time with Bill Maher: Middle Class Economics

suplex3000

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2014
Georgia

It took a financial meltdown and decades of the middle class getting repeatedly pummeled but it looks like "free market" economics days are numbered. More and more people are waking up to the reality that trickled on economics works great for the top 1%, perhaps even moderately well for the top 10 or 20%, but doesn't work for anyone else and results in crony Capitalism. The true believers still swear their big paycheck is coming, if only we'd cut the <100B in welfare going to the "moochers". But irrespective of red herrings, Reaganomics doesn't work for the middle class and especially not for the lower classes. It's time for a paradigm shift. We shrugged off Keynesian economics in the 70's and went far right into "free" markets. Now its time to swing back to the left and build another middle class the whole world will envy.

It took a financial meltdown and decades of the middle class getting repeatedly pummeled but it looks like "free market" economics days are numbered. More and more people are waking up to the reality that trickled on economics works great for the top 1%, perhaps even moderately well for the top 10 or 20%, but doesn't work for anyone else and results in crony Capitalism. The true believers still swear their big paycheck is coming, if only we'd cut the <100B in welfare going to the "moochers". But irrespective of red herrings, Reaganomics doesn't work for the middle class and especially not for the lower classes. It's time for a paradigm shift. We shrugged off Keynesian economics in the 70's and went far right into "free" markets. Now its time to swing back to the left and build another middle class the whole world will envy.

How do we do that? How can we build the Middle Class back to where it once was? What would you do to accomplish that?

I don't know therefore I wanted to ask participants of the forum.
Put America back to work, producing what America uses and consumes. Severely penalize the off-shore out-sourcing of jobs, severely penalize importing labor, and severely penalize anyone hiring or assisting an illegal immigrant. Re-write our unfair, unjust, and one sided foreign trade agreements and policies, so that they become fair, equal, and balance foreign trade agreements and policies. End our dependency on cheap foreign imports. Stop sacrificing our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. Put the "Made In U.S.A." label back on store shelves.

Elect pro-America representatives to serve in government. Stop electing and re-electing professional politicians to run this country. Rewind the clock to the 50's and 60's when our plants and factories provided living wage jobs that covered all education and skill levels.

The above will create a strong Middle Class, and provide self-supporting opportunities across the board. As it stands now, we're consumers and not producers. This has created a poor and dependent society, living off of government assistance programs and unemployment checks. The above steps will reverse that trend.

Put America back to work, producing what America uses and consumes. Severely penalize the off-shore out-sourcing of jobs, severely penalize importing labor, and severely penalize anyone hiring or assisting an illegal immigrant. Re-write our unfair, unjust, and one sided foreign trade agreements and policies, so that they become fair, equal, and balance foreign trade agreements and policies. End our dependency on cheap foreign imports. Stop sacrificing our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. Put the "Made In U.S.A." label back on store shelves.

Elect pro-America representatives to serve in government. Stop electing and re-electing professional politicians to run this country. Rewind the clock to the 50's and 60's when our plants and factories provided living wage jobs that covered all education and skill levels.

The above will create a strong Middle Class, and provide self-supporting opportunities across the board. As it stands now, we're consumers and not producers. This has created a poor and dependent society, living off of government assistance programs and unemployment checks. The above steps will reverse that trend.
[/QUOTE]

Well that would be good. But I'm afraid we are too far gone. It's because of this Government and both parties we are in this position.

Well that would be good. But I'm afraid we are too far gone. It's because of this Government and both parties we are in this position.[/QUOTE]
It's because voters continue to elect and to re-elect professional politicians to run this country. Yet, they expect a different result each election cycle.

Thank you for your opinion.

The middle class has been pummeled for decades? You actually buy that crap? The middle class has been pummeled for the last 6 years. Thanks to Democrats' stupid policies. See my thread on Obamanomics.

The middle class has been pummeled for decades? You actually buy that crap? The middle class has been pummeled for the last 6 years. Thanks to Democrats' stupid policies. See my thread on Obamanomics.
The Middle Class has been under pressure since the 60's. The extent of the damage wasn't fully realized until 2008. The foundation to our declining Middle Class started crumbling in the 60's, and steadily progressed to the point we're at today. It was in the 60's when we started closing our plants and factories, thus taking away self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels. We started by closing the steel factories, then we lost the electronics industry ( when was the last America made TV produced? ), then those were soon followed by the textile mills, furniture and appliances, tools, farm equipment, automotive parts, toys, housewares, etc. etc.

Back in the 50's and early 60's, the men went to work and the women stayed home and raised the kids. One income was enough to live the good life. The Middle Class was doing great. Then, as plants and factories closed, the women entered the work force, and their numbers have been growing every since. And, now, two incomes aren't enough to support families in many cases. Steadily, over time, government assistance programs became a necessity in order to supply families with basic needs and necessities.

Once we started closing our plants and factories, taking away the self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels, the Middle Class was basically doomed. The proof to that statement makes daily headlines. We have 50% of our children living at or below the poverty line. We have 48 million citizens receiving food stamps. We have a growing homeless population. We have shameful unemployment, and employment consist of part-time jobs, temporary jobs, low paying jobs, and jobs with reduced company paid benefits. We have created a poor and dependent society. And, as I have stated, the foundation was laid back in the 60's with the closings of our plants and factories that supported the Middle Class.

Over the past 50 plus years, we've sacrificed our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. And, the Middle Class has paid the highest price. Our socioeconomic woes didn't start 6 years ago, they just became front and center 6 years ago. They became more pronounced and damaging. They opened our eyes to the fact that we'd been sold out by the very ones that we entrusted with our well-being. Trace the roots of our economic decline and see what you find. I think that you'll be surprised.

Last edited:
The Middle Class has been under pressure since the 60's. The extent of the damage wasn't fully realized until 2008. The foundation to our declining Middle Class started crumbling in the 60's, and steadily progressed to the point we're at today. It was in the 60's when we started closing our plants and factories, thus taking away self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels. We started by closing the steel factories, then we lost the electronics industry ( when was the last America made TV produced? ), then those were soon followed by the textile mills, furniture and appliances, tools, farm equipment, automotive parts, toys, housewares, etc. etc.

Back in the 50's and early 60's, the men went to work and the women stayed home and raised the kids. One income was enough to live the good life. The Middle Class was doing great. Then, as plants and factories closed, the women entered the work force, and their numbers have been growing every since. And, now, two incomes aren't enough to support families in many cases. Steadily, over time, government assistance programs became a necessity in order to supply families with basic needs and necessities.

Once we started closing our plants and factories, taking away the self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels, the Middle Class was basically doomed. The proof to that statement makes daily headlines. We have 50% of our children living at or below the poverty line. We have 48 million citizens receiving food stamps. We have a growing homeless population. We have shameful unemployment, and employment consist of part-time jobs, temporary jobs, low paying jobs, and jobs with reduced company paid benefits. We have created a poor and dependent society. And, as I have stated, the foundation was laid back in the 60's with the closings of our plants and factories that supported the Middle Class.

Over the past 50 plus years, we've sacrificed our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. And, the Middle Class has paid the highest price. Our socioeconomic woes didn't start 6 years ago, they just became front and center 6 years ago. They became more pronounced and damaging. They opened our eyes to the fact that we'd been sold out by the very ones that we entrusted with our well-being. Trace the roots of our economic decline as see what you find. I think that you'll be surprised.
This is why I have you on Ignore. Late night boredom kicked in though.
Middle class people do not work in factories. Working class people work in factories. The decline of manufacturing coincided with rising incomes anyway.
What changed was the massive inflation of the 1970s. In 1960 a person could get a job at $9000/yr. He could buy a new car for 1500. Buy a house for 25k, etc. Now multiple all those prices by 10, which is about right. But no one, or very few, are finishing college and getting jobs at 90k. The second income was needed to off set the effects of inflation.
The worst has been the past 6 years with a stagnating economy.

How do we do that? How can we build the Middle Class back to where it once was? What would you do to accomplish that?

Your OP certainly condemns a more free market (more free market, since there is no such thing), so you must have some opinions on how to increase prosperity from the middle out.

No ideas?

Over the past 50 plus years, we've sacrificed our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. And, the Middle Class has paid the highest price. Our socioeconomic woes didn't start 6 years ago, they just became front and center 6 years ago. They became more pronounced and damaging. They opened our eyes to the fact that we'd been sold out by the very ones that we entrusted with our well-being. Trace the roots of our economic decline as see what you find. I think that you'll be surprised.
Middle class people do not work in factories. Working class people work in factories. The decline of manufacturing coincided with rising incomes anyway.
What changed was the massive inflation of the 1970s. In 1960 a person could get a job at $9000/yr. He could buy a new car for 1500. Buy a house for 25k, etc. Now multiple all those prices by 10, which is about right. But no one, or very few, are finishing college and getting jobs at 90k. The second income was needed to off set the effects of inflation.

Oh! I see it all clearly now! The worst has been the last 6 years. Thanks Obama!

Continue ignoring me. You and I are a million miles apart in reasoning and understanding. We'll never agree, nor have pleasant civil conversations. Past experience has proven that. Please, continue to ignore me. Thanks.

Only thing I get out of this video is that, once again, Bill Maher is a liberal tool.
The Middle Class are getting the shaft today more than EVER.
Got that Bill, you lying moron?
He didn't mention of course that the wealthy are doing better now than ever before. That the top 7% have been bathing in a 33% earnings increase since 2009, while the MIDDLE CLASS have suffered a 5% DECLINE.
No, of course he doesn't talk about this.
He is a tool. and anyone who watches the show is a fool.

bill-maher-crazy-fool.jpg

Forum List

Back