Ratings Plummet For 'Duck Dynasty' Season Premiere After Star's Gay-Bashing Interview

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Ratings Plummet For 'Duck Dynasty' Season Premiere After Star's Gay-Bashing Interview

It turns out that a national controversy sparked by racist and homophobic remarks doesn't necessarily result in a ratings boost for a television show.

Many speculated that "Duck Dynasty," A&E's hit reality series about a family of swamp millionaires who made their fortune off duck calls, would draw even more viewers after one of the show's stars, Phil Robertson, made headlines last month for railing against "homosexual offenders," "Shintos" and "Islamists" in a wild interview with GQ.

But rather than a ratings spike, viewership for the show's season five premiere actually dipped considerably. Wednesday's premiere

Freak shows and carnivals only have a limited appeal in America.

My wife finally watched it. She said "god, it's so boring." I say "what problem were they trying to solve in the show" She says, "they were just in some christmas pageant and then they sat abound the store and talked."

I said, you just decribed a perfect day for their viewers. DD is their dream. LOL

I don't watch Duck Dynasty because it's a very stupid show. My not watching it doesn't have anything to do with his remarks about queers. It's just a stupid show and not worth my time.

So the viewers are materially punishing the Duck Dynasty cast just over something one of its members said?

lol, let's all remember the famous thread where Foxfyre et al said that such an action should be illegal.

I'd venture that some number of people who had previously watched the show no longer did because they had strong feelings about those comments.

I'd also venture that some number of people who had not previously watched the show tried it out of curiosity.

And that more people didn't watch because they thought they'd somehow be punishing A&E for their bullying.

At the end of the day one hand washes the other and the reality is that the show never was that great and the ratings naturally fade as people start questioning (for any reason) why they bothered with it at all. Then there's the "what's on against it" factor - but what might be in that position I have no idea.

Totally stupid for any side of the debate to claim victory.

I don't watch Duck Dynasty because it's a very stupid show. My not watching it doesn't have anything to do with his remarks about queers. It's just a stupid show and not worth my time.

The season opener was really slow and stupid. If that continues, I won't be watching new eps. I can watch only two 30 minute ( 22 minutes sans commercials, ) episodes of the show. When I first watched DD, after hearing so much of it, several months ago, it left me puzzled as to how it was so successful. Then after continued good reviews, I revisited DD and got into the interaction of the characters and became a fan, if nothing else was on..:lol:

It has been aptly described as a cross between The Beverly Hillbillies and The Waltons. I like the sense of family, it portrays.

There is really no need to hurry up and catch the first showing since it will be rerun a million times.

The left has nothing to say about the non-white daughter???? That silence is interesting.

It turns out that a national controversy sparked by racist and homophobic remarks doesn't necessarily result in a ratings boost for a television show.

Many speculated that "Duck Dynasty," A&E's hit reality series about a family of swamp millionaires who made their fortune off duck calls, would draw even more viewers after one of the show's stars, Phil Robertson, made headlines last month for railing against "homosexual offenders," "Shintos" and "Islamists" in a wild interview with GQ.

But rather than a ratings spike, viewership for the show's season five premiere actually dipped considerably. Wednesday's premiere

This is news? Other than the typical brain dead, prime time TV viewer, who the fuck cares?

Oh, you're a typical brain dead, prime time TV viewer...... Now I understand. :thup:

There are many reality shows in the US that are total shit. I wonder how many of them even get made. I haven't seen this show but it sounds boring as shit.

This would be even funnier if we knew for sure that the whole 'scandal' was a publicity stunt.

I love how posters like this are ready and eager to post negative news about those they hate so much. Sad when one learned Duck Dynasty's viewership is exploding as more and more "real" Americans tune in to see a real, devout, Christian family.

Make you want to cry?

:eusa_whistle:

The "hate" was revealed by The Duck, not anyone else.

He was rightfully called out for being an ignorant hater.

The "hate" was revealed by The Duck, not anyone else.

He was rightfully called out for being an ignorant hater.

You give us one link to where he ever said a single word about "hating gays"?

If anyone hates, it's you and your ilk who have no tolerance for anyone espousing beliefs other than your own. :evil:

Forum List

Back