Raiders bench Derek Carr: Answering questions on Vegas' QB future

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019
HENDERSON, Nev. -- The Las Vegas Raiders announced Wednesday that they were sitting Derek Carr, who has been the team's starting quarterback since they selected him in the second round of the 2014 draft, and starting Jarrett Stidham for their final two games, with Chase Garbers as his backup.

"None of us is happy with where we're at, but we think it's an opportunity to evaluate a younger player who hasn't had much time to play," said first-year coach Josh McDaniels. "Derek was great. He understands the scenario that we're in and the situation and is very supportive of the two young guys.

"He'll do anything he can to help them."

The move no doubt elicits questions, and we have answers ...

Why did the Raiders bench Carr now?​

EDITOR'S PICKS​

Call it an insurance policy, of sorts, because while the Raiders' new regime did sign Carr to that three-year, $121.5 million extension this past spring, which included a no-trade clause, Las Vegas gave itself a three-day window after the Super Bowl to cut Carr for a relatively minimal salary-cap hit of a little more than $5 million. And if Carr were to get injured in these last two games, his $32.9 million salary for next season and $7.5 million of his salary for 2024 would become guaranteed. So putting Carr in bubble wrap for the last two games at least keeps that guarantee-for-injury factor at bay.

I get it but it's still horse shyte.

Wow, they were smart to have an opt out clause written in, and to make sure he don't get hurt, they keep him off the field. It sure aint Carr's fault, but the team has to look at the bigger picture, I guess. The problem lies with their horrible defense, not Carr.

Carr always said he will retire as a Raider. However, these results are not acceptable.

From what I've seen this year, the system seems to be set up to exploit marginal advantages the Raiders may hold instead of dictating the game to the opponent. Hue Jackson (former coach of the Raiders) had the right mindset....he said they wanted to "Build a Bully."

I think Josh McDaniels is outsmarting himself most of the time instead of relying on playmakers to make the difference.

Raiders had a chance to be contenders before the PC mob forced Gruden out.

They have been pretty committed to that over the last 2 decades or so....

I was a fan for many years, when they moved to Los Angeles even more so as I lived just north of L.A. so I got to go to more games.

Then Al Davis started fucking around, threatening to move back to Oakland, which he eventually did, screwing the fans in SoCal just like he did the ones in NoCal. That's when they lost me. Nowadays, my team is so bad (Texans, I was an Oilers fan) my only joy in the NFL comes when The Raiders or The Cowboys lose...

I was a fan for many years, when they moved to Los Angeles even more so as I lived just north of L.A. so I got to go to more games.

Then Al Davis started fucking around, threatening to move back to Oakland, which he eventually did, screwing the fans in SoCal just like he did the ones in NoCal. That's when they lost me. Nowadays, my team is so bad (Texans, I was an Oilers fan) my only joy in the NFL comes when The Raiders or The Cowboys lose...
RFFL. (Raider Fan For Life).

Forum List

Back