Radioactive waste from Estonia may soon be coming to San Juan County mill

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Silmet rare metals processing plant in Estonia is more than 5,000 miles from San Juan County, but the White Mesa Mill south of Blanding could soon be receiving radioactive waste from the eastern European facility.
In April 2019, Energy Fuels Resources, which owns and operates the White Mesa Mill, requested to modify its radioactive materials license with the state of Utah in order to accept its first waste shipment from overseas, and a hearing on the proposal was conducted Wednesday over video chat by the Utah Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control.

Because it is a waste disposal business.

The Silmet rare metals processing plant in Estonia is more than 5,000 miles from San Juan County, but the White Mesa Mill south of Blanding could soon be receiving radioactive waste from the eastern European facility.
In April 2019, Energy Fuels Resources, which owns and operates the White Mesa Mill, requested to modify its radioactive materials license with the state of Utah in order to accept its first waste shipment from overseas, and a hearing on the proposal was conducted Wednesday over video chat by the Utah Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control.

This is VERY "low level" nuclear waste.. It's the byproduct of refining tantalum and niobium and only 1% of it is UNREFINED radioactive material.. There are places in America that are NATURALLY more radioactive than this material.. In fact -- I'd wager that our nuclear medicine waste is hotter radioactively than THIS stuff...

Better than the Estonians hiring a boat and surrepticiously dumping it in the ocean when no one is looking...

Most mining operations have a radioactive byproduct to them because radioactive materials are so common in the Earth's crust.. GRANITE is pretty radioactive --- but now everyone WANTS a granite kitchen counter.

This is VERY "low level" nuclear waste.. It's the byproduct of refining tantalum and niobium and only 1% of it is UNREFINED radioactive material.. There are places in America that are NATURALLY more radioactive than this material.. In fact -- I'd wager that our nuclear medicine waste is hotter radioactively than THIS stuff...

Better than the Estonians hiring a boat and surrepticiously dumping it in the ocean when no one is looking...

Most mining operations have a radioactive byproduct to them because radioactive materials are so common in the Earth's crust.. GRANITE is pretty radioactive --- but now everyone WANTS a granite kitchen counter.
I had no idea about granite countertops. Geesh.

It's not DANGEROUS levels.. It's just part of the normal "background radiation" that we live in.. You get much more exposure flying for a couple hours than a year in your kitchen...,

If it's nothing then the Estonians have nothing to worry about and can take care of that over there. The US........one big waste dump site.

You get radiation from nearly everything.

Flying in an airplane will subject you to radiation. The atmosphere absorbs most of the Sun's radiation. When you fly at high altittude, you have less atmosphere above you, thus more radiation.

The Grand Central Station, and the Capital Building, gives off so much radiation, that neither site could a license by the department of energy. Too much radio activity.

By the way, sleeping next to someone for 8 hours, gives you 2 rems of radiation. Potassium in the body, is radioactive.

If it's nothing then the Estonians have nothing to worry about and can take care of that over there. The US........one big waste dump site.

They dont have the tech to neutralize it.. Usually, the 1% radioactive stuff is sorted out and ENCASED in leaded glass.. Good for thousands of years.

But the FRENCH invented this.. And since they LOVE nuclear power, maybe their supply chain is too busy to take such a SMALL load of it.,..

Disir Not that I want to change the topic, but we have some pretty serious "low level" waste problems right here in the US... This is PROBABLY what that Utah company does.. And MAYBE,, someone EAST of Mississippi should be disposing of it safely...

I imagine it's all but impossible to get licensed to "neutralize" that kind of waste.,...

You get radiation from nearly everything.

Flying in an airplane will subject you to radiation. The atmosphere absorbs most of the Sun's radiation. When you fly at high altittude, you have less atmosphere above you, thus more radiation.

The Grand Central Station, and the Capital Building, gives off so much radiation, that neither site could a license by the department of energy. Too much radio activity.

By the way, sleeping next to someone for 8 hours, gives you 2 rems of radiation. Potassium in the body, is radioactive.

Yeah.. All that granite and marble in the Capitol building was MORE radioactive than the open air emission standards they tried to set on the now "postponed" Yucca Mtn disposal site...

mental midgets making law.....

Disir Not that I want to change the topic, but we have some pretty serious "low level" waste problems right here in the US... This is PROBABLY what that Utah company does.. And MAYBE,, someone EAST of Mississippi should be disposing of it safely...

I imagine it's all but impossible to get licensed to "neutralize" that kind of waste.,...

Probably is what they do but with all of this why do we need some other countries crap.

Energy Fuels Resources is rated as a "weak buy" at $1.62 per share ... so it appears burying nuclear waste in that stinking desert carries a little profit ... you're welcome ...

Got the wrong company there.. Energy Solutions (in the OP) is not a mining company.. It processes mostly low level waste and encapsulate it.. You got an issue with SAFER disposal than burying it ??

Says it's an "international" company.. My guess is it's French.. Since THEY are the masters in neutralizing and encapsulating nuclear waste.. Didn't see a stock ticker.. For me personally, I've always held some "nuclear" sector stuff on conviction...

Treatment technologies include macro encapsulation of radioactive lead solids and hazardous debris, stabilization of heavy metals, neutralization and solidification of contaminated liquids, thermal treatment of waste containing organic solvents, amalgamation of elemental mercury, and treatment of other unique waste streams.

EnergySolutions mission is to safely treat and dispose of these radioactive wastes to ensure the protection of the environment and public.

Note -- there's virtually no distinction between DISPOSING of "radioactive" waste and "heavy metals".. NON radioactive stuff is also toxic as hell and DOES NOT HAVE 'a half life'..,. It's toxic FOREVER...

And how much of that are we using in battery cars and solar panels and wind turbines?

I would say that Estonia doesn't have the resources to take care of it.

I think handling a small amount of low level waste, is good for the entire world. Certainly better than Estonia letting it get sold off to perhaps some terrorists who could use it for a dirty bomb.

I would certainly prefer it being encased in containment glass, than blown all over the NYC subway.

Forum List

Back