Radio-Controlled Toy Helicopters:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I recently watched someone flying one of these and it looks like fun. I'd like to get one but I know absolutely nothing about them. So I'll be interested in advice from anyone who is familiar with these interesting toys.

I have one of those little ones that were popular a few years ago. It's somewhat easy to maneuver, but keep a lid on your fish aquarium.

Last edited:
I recently watched someone flying one of these and it looks like fun. I'd like to get one but I know absolutely nothing about them. So I'll be interested in advice from anyone who is familiar with these interesting toys.

I bought my grandson one for Christmas and mailed it to him. It is a Casbro. Remote control with the lights so you can fly it at night too. Then I bought one for myself as it looked like alot of fun and my son thought it was very neat so I gave it to him for Christmas. They take a little while to learn to use but they are definitely fun.

It depends if they are I.R. controlled or use a radio frequency. The indoor ones are around $20 and will be broken in a month because it takes that long to learn how to fly indoors and they pick up hair and the blades need replacement so you need to find a place that sells replacement blades for the replacement helicopter. The number of channels you have is a factor.

The problem with helicopters being outside is thrust to fly against the wind.

EXCLUSIVE: Arrest made after small helicopter drone crash lands on New York city street | 7online.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3a-94mfYk]Brooklyn Man Flies Camera equiped Drone Over Manhattan Gets Arrested - YouTube[/ame]

The other thing you can do is get a USB helicopter simulator for use with a computer:

E-Sky 4 CH Flight Simulator Training Kit For Airplanes and Helicopters w/ USB Port

It is only $20 and it won't get damaged as much as a real helicopter when you make mistakes.

There was a story in the news last year about a kid who killed himself with his toy helicopter:

'Minute Mechanical Error' May Have Led to Teen's Remote-Control Helicopter Death, Expert Says - ABC News

At some point you have to determine when it is no longer a toy but a helicopter.

I have one of those little ones that were popular a few years ago. It's somewhat easy to maneuver, but keep a lid on your fish aquarium.
I'd thought they were something very new because I've never seen or heard of them before. And I'm surprised they aren't more common if they've been around for years.

I bought my grandson one for Christmas and mailed it to him. It is a Casbro. Remote control with the lights so you can fly it at night too. Then I bought one for myself as it looked like alot of fun and my son thought it was very neat so I gave it to him for Christmas. They take a little while to learn to use but they are definitely fun.
So I'm not the only one who is turned onto what was intended as a child's toy. These little flying helicopters are very seductive. I've already spent a few hours researching them on the Internet and I will be buying one soon.

I'd thought they were something very new because I've never seen or heard of them before. And I'm surprised they aren't more common if they've been around for years.

It depends on how well responsive and calibrated the Helicopter controls are.

We had a two channel I.R. remote with helicopter. It basically has controls for left, right, up and down. There is no forward or backwards which makes it difficult to maneuver without experience.

It depends if they are I.R. controlled or use a radio frequency. The indoor ones are around $20 and will be broken in a month because it takes that long to learn how to fly indoors and they pick up hair and the blades need replacement so you need to find a place that sells replacement blades for the replacement helicopter. The number of channels you have is a factor.

EXCLUSIVE: Arrest made after small helicopter drone crash lands on New York city street | 7online.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3a-94mfYk]Brooklyn Man Flies Camera equiped Drone Over Manhattan Gets Arrested - YouTube[/ame]
Wow! Five hundred bucks. That must be a relatively sophisticated model so I'm surprised it wasn't more controllable -- unless this fellow is just reckless.

My wife bought me one for Christmas about five years ago. Our pastor got one then, too.

Brookstone was selling them.

The other thing you can do is get a USB helicopter simulator for use with a computer:

E-Sky 4 CH Flight Simulator Training Kit For Airplanes and Helicopters w/ USB Port

It is only $20 and it won't get damaged as much as a real helicopter when you make mistakes.

There was a story in the news last year about a kid who killed himself with his toy helicopter:

'Minute Mechanical Error' May Have Led to Teen's Remote-Control Helicopter Death, Expert Says - ABC News

At some point you have to determine when it is no longer a toy but a helicopter.
Thanks!

Wow! Five hundred bucks. That must be a relatively sophisticated model so I'm surprised it wasn't more controllable -- unless this fellow is just reckless.

That Quadcopter is probably GPS controlled without a human. Wind is pretty powerful and real pilots with flight experience get a weather report and if it is too windy, the real pilots don't fly. The problem is wind current and small helicopters cannot generate enough thrust to fly through the wind. We had an inside toy helicopter and the wind just takes the helicopter where it wants and it landed where we didn't want it to land. In New York, wind is redirected off of some of the buildings and you probably can't predict how to fly it and you have a lack of instruments or wind sock to show you which direction the wind is blowing.

A real helicopter should have a gyroscope and more powerful motors.

My wife bought me one for Christmas about five years ago. Our pastor got one then, too.

Look at this one -- it squirts water!

Water Squirting METAL Air Soaker 3.5CH RTR RC Helicopter

We used to get one for our hubbies years and years and years ago when the kids were little. My sister and myself would get two. One for each hubby cuz they get bored xmas day but they aren't if they have a toy! No remote cars or trucks. Nope. HELICOPTERS. Ours were so long ago I don't remember the name of them, but they were gas powered and a pain in the ass to get going but once they did...ZOOOOOM all up and down the street...then of course the "playing chicken" came into play...where both got zapped for good. Which was fine cuz xmas was over, it was getting dark and time to eat. And they new the next year they could do it all over again.:lol:

Last edited:

Look at this one -- it squirts water!

Water Squirting METAL Air Soaker 3.5CH RTR RC Helicopter

Well, I guess I know what to get hubby next year. That one!:lol:

So I'm not the only one who is turned onto what was intended as a child's toy. These little flying helicopters are very seductive. I've already spent a few hours researching them on the Internet and I will be buying one soon.

I bought mine at BJ's. It is called a Cobra. ( the salesman was doing a special demo - I got both helicopters for a little over $30.00 each and they retail for over $80.00 he told me) They fly inside or outside and are quite sturdy. Mine came with an extra set of helicopter blades and some other parts. I am going to buy another one in black. ( to replace the one I gave to my son ) They have the decals you can put on it too. You will love it, Mike. They are a blast!

Here you go, Mike. I bought two of the blue ones. They show it on here and also in red and yellow - the mid size military ones look like fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back