Racist symbols

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
We all know displaying a Nazi swaztika is a sign of some sort of racist thought, but what about the 'Rebel flag?' Just saw a neighbor's when he invited me recently and I like the guy. If he's racist it'll be quite a shock to me. Is there then any benign non-racist motive to flying that flag?

Displaying the swatstika is not always a sign of some sort of racist thought... but you did say the "Nazi swatstika" so I assume you meant the red background with the white filled circle around it. Then yeah, that design is almost always a sign of some sort of racist thought.

Last edited:
We all know displaying a Nazi swaztika is a sign of some sort of racist thought, but what about the 'Rebel flag?' Just saw a neighbor's when he invited me recently and I like the guy. If he's racist it'll be quite a shock to me. Is there then any benign non-racist motive to flying that flag?

It's a southern heritage thing. I know many people both black and white that fly the confederate battle flag aka the rebel flag.

But...

I have great respect for Hitler... not so much all the Nazis who followed him but Hitler himself. On occasion I've used the Nazi swastika to reflect that... and I am the furthest thing from a "racist".

I have a profound love for every race.

To the mainstream, the rebel flag is nothing but a piece of cloth, not even as meaningful as a dinner napkin.

The Civil War decided that fact long ago.

Maybe it is a historically interesting item to him?

Why not ask him directly what the flag means to him?

Displaying the swatstika is not always a sign of some sort of racist thought... but you did say the "Nazi swatstika" so I assume you meant the red background with the white filled circle around it. Then yeah, that design is almost always a sign of some sort of racist thought.

Specified Nazi swaztika since, being an educated person, know they co-opted it from some previous usage religion or whatever. :)

It's a southern heritage thing. I know many people both black and white that fly the confederate battle flag aka the rebel flag.

What I wondered. Could be proud of some ancestor even on the Confederate side while not endorsing every little position he may have held.

50023.jpg

Based upon its use in this forum, this one seems to be one of the very worst.

People can bs all they want about how the flag doesn't really mean what people think it means but ya, it's racist. That said, go ahead and put that sucker in your windows as curtains. Wear it proudly as a belt buckle. Put the sticker on the back of the truck. :thup:

To the mainstream, the rebel flag is nothing but a piece of cloth, not even as meaningful as a dinner napkin.

Asking him makes a bad reason a potential sore point for both of us. If I don't ask, I simply wonder. If I ask, my concern may prove founded. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Bottom line he's never given me reason to suspect he's racist. If anything he's an exemplorary father and that's how I came to notice and befriend him. Of course I tend to get tunnel-vision and a bit obsessive when questions arise chewing on them until they're answered. :) So what I decide tomorrow may differ from where I am today. :) Today I don't care.

Asking him makes a bad reason a potential sore point for both of us. If I don't ask, I simply wonder. If I ask, my concern may prove founded. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Bottom line he's never given me reason to suspect he's racist. If anything he's an exemplorary father and that's how I came to notice and befriend him. Of course I tend to get tunnel-vision and a bit obsessive when questions arise chewing on them until they're answered. :) So what I decide tomorrow may differ from where I am today. :) Today I don't care.

And I agree with your approach. If he is your neighbor, it is probably best not to sow any seeds of alienation.

I have been neighbors with some admitted racists, some for many years, who actually told me:

"You're different", at which I laughed to myself, and said "yeah, right".

At the end of the day, that neighbor, racist or not, could end up being the guy who helps you in a crisis, simply because he is nearby.

Let him fly his flag and think as he pleases. It's just a piece of cloth.

And I agree with your approach. If he is your neighbor, it is probably best not to sow any seeds of alienation.

I have been neighbors with some admitted racists, some for many years, who actually told me:

At the end of the day, that neighbor, racist or not, could end up being the guy who helps you in a crisis, simply because he is nearby.

Like every other 'piece of cloth' it's a symbol and people kill and die with smiles on their faces for symbols. It's not nothin'.

I could understand a person interested in collecting stuff----
collect a Dixie flag.------if he runs it up a flag pole in front of his
house------he is a nut

Like every other 'piece of cloth' it's a symbol and people kill and die with smiles on their faces for symbols. It's not nothin'.

That is correct, but if he has displayed no signs of being a fanatic of that sort, then it shoud be all good. If he does not try to influence your thoughts based on whatever "his flag" means to him, I would not invest any energy in being concerned one way or another.

I don't think
I don't think that flag is is racist. And I'm from Ohio.

In fact there was two rebel flag bumper stickers on my '76 Chevy pickup truck when I bought it about 25 years ago. If I thought they were racist symbols I would have scraped them off or sprayed some primer over them or something. I didn't consciously remove them. They've just been worn off over time. It's just a dependable old straitght 6 3-speed beater work truck that's always been parked outdoors and has been backed into many piles of stone over the years.

A flag is supposed to do a few specific things. It will mark the flyer of the flag as citizen of a particular nation or state I can rally troops on the field of battle. It can be a statement of a political or cultural ideology. In short, a flag is supposed to inspire.

With that in mind, one must wonder why anyone would embrace the Confederate flag given the aspirations of the Confederates.

The tasteless display of Confederate flags by white trash idiots is one of my pet peeves.

Most of the assholes that defile the flag with their idiocy couldn't tell you who their grand-daddy was, much less document any Confederate heritage.

What I wondered. Could be proud of some ancestor even on the Confederate side while not endorsing every little position he may have held.
Hey, I have all sorts of Confederate ancestors on both sides of the family.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they agreed with.

And, the Confederacy certainly didn't invent slavery.

Do you see the confederate flag as a racist symbol, or a piece of heritage as some claim? What is your background?
as for me I agree there has to be some non white people who love it. I have never met them but I has to be possible.
confederate-flag_663655.jpg

Forum List

Back