Quoting Scripture

Iridescence

Rookie
Apr 1, 2011
US
While I am not a preacher... or a priest, from what I have come to know from merely studying scriptures... Only certain individuals are endowed with the ability(ies) to effectively quote scripture for another's benefit and not damn him/herself accordingly to the same scripture.

Levels of ability(ies) are not the same and they cannot be revoked by mere man. Also, according to the laws listed in the old testament, which is not meant to be discredited with/by the new testament but better understood, the depths of devotion are intentionally meant to divide the levels and depths of Holy Servants.

I am obviously not a biblical scholar, but some post scripture and/or use it without regard to what it means for them personally and it is another one of those things that I cringe at.

Does anyone else?

There are those who misquote scripture. But the beauty of the Gospel is that all of us can study the scriptures and be taught by the Spirit.

• Banned
There are those who misquote scripture. But the beauty of the Gospel is that all of us can study the scriptures and be taught by the Spirit.

Exactly. *hearts*

Many, however, sometimes make the mistake of quoting scripture toward those who do not share the same faith let alone the same levels of faith.

Is there logic in quoting scripture in such a way?

While I am not a preacher... or a priest, from what I have come to know from merely studying scriptures... Only certain individuals are endowed with the ability(ies) to effectively quote scripture for another's benefit and not damn him/herself accordingly to the same scripture.

Levels of ability(ies) are not the same and they cannot be revoked by mere man. Also, according to the laws listed in the old testament, which is not meant to be discredited with/by the new testament but better understood, the depths of devotion are intentionally meant to divide the levels and depths of Holy Servants.

I am obviously not a biblical scholar, but some post scripture and/or use it without regard to what it means for them personally and it is another one of those things that I cringe at.

Does anyone else?
If God wants you to know what He wants then why make it so complicated? Why are only certain people able to "understand" the "word of God"?

• Banned
The obvious answer is the level of obedience one attains.

It isnt that God rejects people, it is that people reject God. Sometimes even the more devoted individuals also have levels of slack, resistance, and such... and those things do interfere with the depths of one's fellowship, communion, with God.

Isn't this where Martin Luther and The Reformation came in?

• Banned
ugh... I don't understand so much that I 'know' much.

I just find it interesting that the scripture, itself, is slung around by many people without regard to it's depth.

It seems that many things should be obvious, then yet, those are sometimes the least understood.

Just the basic principle of not quoting scripture that isn't as much for one quoting as it is for the hearer(s) is part of what Jesus was referring to when he said, "He who hath not sinned may cast the first stone." There is much, much more, of course... but keeping it basic.

Does anyone else?
If God wants you to know what He wants then why make it so complicated? Why are only certain people able to "understand" the "word of God"?

Who says only certain people are able to?

Does anyone else?

I can link you to a sermon you may find interesting. I cant post it because they threatened to sue me if I did, but I can link it.

Forum List

Back