Quote Of The Day

upload_2017-8-24_22-29-16.jpeg

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

Noam Chomsky, The Common Good
Does he mean, for example, keeping us fighting over stupid issues while the real shit goes unnoticed or does he mean publicly crucifying anyone who dares to talk facts when it comes to "diversity" in the workplace (a la Google dude)?

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

Does he mean, for example, keeping us fighting over stupid issues while the real shit goes unnoticed or does he mean publicly crucifying anyone who dares to talk facts when it comes to "diversity" in the workplace (a la Google dude)?
Actually, i suspect he means both.

You have to admit --- it does seem to be the left's mantra these days.

pretty sure its "My feelings beat Facts 100% of the time because my will alone can change the shape the world."
Jokes aside does he ever go in depth about what he meant by this?

pretty sure its "My feelings beat Facts 100% of the time because my will alone can change the shape the world."
Jokes aside does he ever go in depth about what he meant by this?

For clarity, the remainder of that paragraph is " ....[spectrum] – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.

in his book, The Common Good, Chomsky talks about identifying emotional issues that fire up the people, and then focusing on that, while advancing unpopular issues in the background.

It's kind of like what is going on now ... you'll notice how Russia suddenly isn't even being discussed. The left has recognized that this is a losing proposition, and its leaders are backing away from it. Of course, in order to cover their retreat (which they will never admit - after all, they are just waiting for the investigation to play out) you now hear the manufactured crises over Trump's moral equivalency of BLM and KKK, and the attack on his "psychological fitness to serve" - neither of which has any substance.

I think you'll find today's quote from Chomsky interesting, too .... (by the way, he's not the only contributor - I just happened to find the new one while looking at the first one)

Quote of the Day - 8/25/2017

Norm Chomsky, The Common Good

The big transnationals want to reduce freedom by undermining the democratic functioning of the states in which they’re based, while at the same time ensuring the government will be powerful enough to protect and support them.

Given the left's push for greater government control and increased restrictions on our freedoms, isn't a safe assumption to say that the left supports those "big transnationals" they rail against? Could this be more of the "noise and clutter" defined by the first quote?

This is interesting.
I believe that most the time when it comes to politicians and media its usually asininity not nefarity (being dumb not evil)
For your idea to be true it requires them to make the plan of avoiding their fault with a minor story when its entirely possible that they are not that smart and evil and instead truly believe in the dumb things they tell and happen to do something that's good for them in the process.

Quote of the Day - 8/26/2017 -

One last one from Chomsky

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

Think we should get the word to the left?

Quote of the Day - 8/27/2016

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken

do you post quotes you agree with or just find interesting?
Ones I find interesting - and have applicability to today's environment.

It's safe to say I am NOT a Chomsky fan ... in fact, I think his quotes show just how far afield the left can, and will, go.

If you have a quote you think applicable to today's political environment, by all means, post it!!!

A similar one to the above

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by people who don't have it." - G.B. Shaw

Quote of the Day - 8/28/2017

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A. Heinlein

It's certainly the President's modus operandi

A similar one to the above

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

The effect of tax cuts in the economy being a prime example. And yet Republicans are getting set to do it again.

New Topics

Forum List

Back