Quote alerts from unwatched threads

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
OK I stopped watching a few threads I posted in but I am still getting alerts about a quote being posted even though the quote tree is hundreds of branches long and my post was near the very top even though I am no longer watching the thread

Yup ... if you're post is quoted ... it will keep showing up ...
I try to eliminate as much of the quote tree as possible when I reply ... simple manners ...
But we're dealing with folks who have to be taught how to wash their hands ... with soap and water ...

OK I stopped watching a few threads I posted in but I am still getting alerts about a quote being posted even though the quote tree is hundreds of branches long and my post was near the very top even though I am no longer watching the thread

Hasn't happened to me with new software/format, but previously sometimes I would get them for threads I wasn't even involved in at all. I assume it was a quirk like someone started to quote me but didn't and then went to another thread and quoted someone else or had multiple windows open or something weird like that.

Just ask nicely those engaged in the slap fight to not quote you anymore and start a new chain.

I haven't posted in Writing for probably four years. I still get a stray email now and then alerting me to a new post on one of the threads.

That's mildly annoying I agree. We've asked if we can limit "quote depth", but it does not seem it's an option..

Folks need to start using "selective quoting"... That's when you highlight the bit you're interested in responding to and up pops an option to drop it into your reply editor.. You can even use selective quoting to grab MULTIPLE quotes from multiple past posts..

If folks we using this, the "alert alarm bell" wouldn't be goin off as much...

Note;; There's 2 options for highlight marking specific material and adding them to a response.. There is "+quote" and "reply".. Use REPLY option to stash quotes in your reply editor. It's much more straight forward..

If you just double left tap (or click if yo uhave a mouse) on the text of the message you're responding, it brings up a couple of floating tabs that allow yo uto quote or reply.

Done that way, it automatically removes all of the nested postings and only responds to the posting contaiing the text that you double tapped on.

Like this...

0sw2gHO.jpg

That's mildly annoying I agree. We've asked if we can limit "quote depth", but it does not seem it's an option..

Folks need to start using "selective quoting"... That's when you highlight the bit you're interested in responding to and up pops an option to drop it into your reply editor.. You can even use selective quoting to grab MULTIPLE quotes from multiple past posts..

If folks we using this, the "alert alarm bell" wouldn't be goin off as much...
More than mildly annoying

I had 37 alerts and at least 30 of them are for a single thread which I stopped watching

In the old format if you stopped watching a thread all alerts to that thread stopped

Forum List

Back