Quietly Apple changes their wording on iPhones for allowing apps to steal all of your data.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Use to be "Do not allow app to access your data"
Now it is "Ask app not to access your data"

BIG difference obviously.
Have you ever actually read what almost every game and other apps wants to have access to?
Everything.
All of your contacts.
All of your social media accounts/posts and views
All of your purchases
All of your viewing history on the internet
What all other apps you have, and what you do on them
Where you are, and how long you stay there.
Etc. etc.

Apple changes the wording to essentially mean "trust me"... just ask... wink wink.

Most people will trade their privacy for convenience no matter what they may believe this invasion of privacy could be used for.
The designers/producers know this so they will keep pushing & taking away any right to privacy we think we have.

It won't stop until enough people decline the product that it hurts their bottom line. Even then they may not stop.

I broke down & added my first ever app to a phone- Cash App. Just did this last week to send $ to my daughter but I'm already considering dumping it

Most people will trade their privacy for convenience no matter what they may believe this invasion of privacy could be used for.
The designers/producers know this so they will keep pushing & taking away any right to privacy we think we have.

It won't stop until enough people decline the product that it hurts their bottom line. Even then they may not stop.

I broke down & added my first ever app to a phone- Cash App. Just did this last week to send $ to my daughter but I'm already considering dumping it
Just sayin... if you are using a Microsoft PC - you have already given all of your data to them
They say it is only in aggregate.
Bulshit.
Even using Brave as a browser I have searched for say a lawnmower on my laptop... and magically I get ads for lawmowers on every freaking device I have.
They track you. They know what you are looking at.

They were already, now its official. I'm buying vintage flip phones with no internet connection. No worries for me.

They were already, now its official. I'm buying vintage flip phones with no internet connection. No worries for me.
It's the only phone I'll own, besides my hardwired land line, and it literally is there in the console in my car, only used for legitimate road emergencies.

Use to be "Do not allow app to access your data"
Now it is "Ask app not to access your data"

BIG difference obviously.
Have you ever actually read what almost every game and other apps wants to have access to?
Everything.
All of your contacts.
All of your social media accounts/posts and views
All of your purchases
All of your viewing history on the internet
What all other apps you have, and what you do on them
Where you are, and how long you stay there.
Etc. etc.

Apple changes the wording to essentially mean "trust me"... just ask... wink wink.
Well there's good news and there is bad news.

The bad news is that it's not just Apple. I attended a conference in which one of the presenters explained what that agreement we tend to just click through in order to get on with our lives and let the App have the access it says it needs actually states. Specifically, Google was the topic of discussion, and their contact states that by agreeing to whatever it was that you wanted to install, let's say Duo, that you're agreeing to allow Google to expand that consent to any and all of their other products and that your consent is irrevocable. So even if you find that Google was doing something that you in no way could have foreseen and you seek to withdraw you consent, you can't, at least according to the language of the contract.

Again the understanding is that this is pretty much how all of the tech companies operate, some thing with Facebook, now Meta and Whatsapp, etc. I know more about the Android world than Apple but I'm catching up.

Another piece of bad news they revealed during the conference is that Google does indeed read your emails because nothing is really "free". You may not pay money for that free GMail account but you pay with your privacy. And no, it's not a person who sits there and reads everything that passes through those accounts but they do scan them and use what they find in your email to craft "a more enjoyable customer experience when using their products" <paraphrased>

Apparently Apple too has now given in?

The good news though, you weren't paranoid after all :cool:

I had an iphone for five minutes. hated the thing for many reasons. That it was just too knowledgeable made me ditch it ASAP. It was just the only decent phone they had when I had to have a new phone because my old one was lost. Things like telling me people possibly associated with business numbers and then all their other possible numbers for them was a bit much for me to take.

Well there's good news and there is bad news.

The bad news is that it's not just Apple. I attended a conference in which one of the presenters explained what that agreement we tend to just click through in order to get on with our lives and let the App have the access it says it needs actually states. Specifically, Google was the topic of discussion, and their contact states that by agreeing to whatever it was that you wanted to install, let's say Duo, that you're agreeing to allow Google to expand that consent to any and all of their other products and that your consent is irrevocable. So even if you find that Google was doing something that you in no way could have foreseen and you seek to withdraw you consent, you can't, at least according to the language of the contract.

Again the understanding is that this is pretty much how all of the tech companies operate, some thing with Facebook, now Meta and Whatsapp, etc. I know more about the Android world than Apple but I'm catching up.

Another piece of bad news they revealed during the conference is that Google does indeed read your emails because nothing is really "free". You may not pay money for that free GMail account but you pay with your privacy. And no, it's not a person who sits there and reads everything that passes through those accounts but they do scan them and use what they find in your email to craft "a more enjoyable customer experience when using their products" <paraphrased>

Apparently Apple too has now given in?

The good news though, you weren't paranoid after all :cool:
Precisely why I have 3 email accounts.
1) Business... and strictly nothing but business. Never, not once use it for anything not directly related to business.
2) Personal "home email"... barely use it anymore really. I go weeks without looking at it. It is over 20 years old and it is what I use to use before texting.
3) "Internet email" - this account I never send emails from. There are no contacts. I use it when buying anything from internet and all streaming channels etc. etc.

Evilcorp would never do that. They love you...

1659277081393.png

Just sayin... if you are using a Microsoft PC - you have already given all of your data to them
Bulshit.
Even using Brave as a browser I have searched for say a lawnmower on my laptop... and magically I get ads for lawmowers on every freaking device I have.

The second you log in to anything - Fascistbook, Twatter, USMB, , you have identified yourself. The first time USMB sent something to my house, it freaked me out. I never gave them my address.

Bulshit.
If you stay logged into Google, and "Sync"; They're going to track everything.

You cannot sign out of Google once you sign in on an android phone.

Microsoft designed Windows 10 to get in on the datamining that IOS and Android was

already doing.

This is the new trend and it will only continue because almost no one actually cares. It is frustrating and sad to see how fast people have abandoned any semblance of privacy.

New Topics

Forum List

Back