Quiet Quitting

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
It kind of looks like that a lot of people are not sure of what exactly quiet quitting is. It's about doing your job well and then going home. It's also about bad management. I think we need to get real clear at what above and beyond means and as a rule it generally means working for free. There is a difference between when management says above and beyond and when employees define it.

Then quiet firing became the issue as if it is new. It's not. At this point, I am fed up and thinking that if we could just work that would be splendid. Just STFU and lets work.

Like I said, I was against this because the job needs to be done. The problem is they are very closely aligned with why I left a former agency. If your employer is incapable of maintaining staff to do the amount of work then I'm not sure why employees should be forced to take on more without seeing additional compensation or redefining the job itself. Even so, there is a limit to how much can be done by one person. If you are routinely having to work for free to get the job done than you will not be able to maintain that staff for very long. Now you are back at square one.

The problem with quiet firing is that you may just wind up with a lawsuit. It often leads to work place bullying. That is an issue. It's a major issue. Please note that the whole reason there is "no one definition" of quiet quitting is because then people may have to actually address the issues. It's not about not doing your job.

While the pandemic made this "quiet quitting" a front burner topic, it's been around for years. It can be because of a bad boss, but it's mostly a result of the work "hustle culture" that's been a part of the fabric of American life since the 80's at least. Maybe longer. Asian countries such as China and Japan have a similar "work takes up most of my life" culture. Most Americans don't make use of their limited vacation time, and when they do, they're expected to maintain some type of connection with work (email, voicemail). The result if they don't is potential replacement and loss of promotion and upward mobility. It becomes an endless circle. If you look at a lot of European countries, the culture is a 180 from America. For example, I had customers in England and France that I had technical relationships with. At 5PM (their time), they were gone. No one in the office. And on the weekend? Forget about it. They clearly delineate their work and off time. Vacation policies are liberal (usually a month, in some countries more). And you are not expected to maintain contact with work while you are on vacation. It's a completely different world if you travel and do business abroad in Europe. In most of Asia, they closely mirror us...sometimes even more extreme.

It's all about what you want out of your work/life.

I've done it before on a few occasions.

In one incident, the owner of the concrete company I was working for kept getting way too close for comfort with the Bobcat he was operating while we were installing a driveway. He was acting very irrationally and in a very unsafe manner.

The only other cement mason on the jobsite and I were not going to take that shit. We just flipped him off, walked off the job, got into our pickup trucks, went to the nearest bar, and played some pool and had a few refreshing ice cold beers.

We did not say a word to him. Just flew him the bird as we were leaving.

Last edited:
It kind of looks like that a lot of people are not sure of what exactly quiet quitting is. It's about doing your job well and then going home. It's also about bad management. I think we need to get real clear at what above and beyond means and as a rule it generally means working for free. There is a difference between when management says above and beyond and when employees define it.

Then quiet firing became the issue as if it is new. It's not. At this point, I am fed up and thinking that if we could just work that would be splendid. Just STFU and lets work.

Like I said, I was against this because the job needs to be done. The problem is they are very closely aligned with why I left a former agency. If your employer is incapable of maintaining staff to do the amount of work then I'm not sure why employees should be forced to take on more without seeing additional compensation or redefining the job itself. Even so, there is a limit to how much can be done by one person. If you are routinely having to work for free to get the job done than you will not be able to maintain that staff for very long. Now you are back at square one.

The problem with quiet firing is that you may just wind up with a lawsuit. It often leads to work place bullying. That is an issue. It's a major issue. Please note that the whole reason there is "no one definition" of quiet quitting is because then people may have to actually address the issues. It's not about not doing your job.

I always heard it as "Working to the contract".

Quiet quitting really is about not putting any extra effort into your job--just doing the minimum to keep it. Unfortunately that is so many people's work ethics these days, a lot of employers won't even notice in case you are under the mistaken impression you will be making some grand point.

My advice is if you are not happy with your job, find another one, even if it is a stop gap job until you can work your way to where you want to be or let it be known why you are not happy. Man up one way or the other. I gave my notice at a job without having another and told them flat out I would rather work at McDonald's for minimum wage than a place that screwed the hardest workers over while rewarding the least productive ones. What was to be my last day they offered me a lot more money to stay, so I stayed and earned every penny of it.....for 6 months until I found another job in another city that I actually was excited to go to every day.

So glad I'm about to call it quits and start drawing on a very meager pension. I do believe that Covid has changed the rules and made many work experiences more bearable with a WFH option, but American workers were terribly exploited before Covid, and many remain so.

Good luck OP, stories like yours are far too common.

We have a concept called a "Professional Day".
You are given an impossible deadline and have to work 100 hours a week to meet that deadline.

We have a concept called a "Professional Day".
You are given an impossible deadline and have to work 100 hours a week to meet that deadline.
So, why aren't they making changes?
How are you coping? Why haven't you left yet?

Quiet quitting really is about not putting any extra effort into your job--just doing the minimum to keep it. Unfortunately that is so many people's work ethics these days, a lot of employers won't even notice in case you are under the mistaken impression you will be making some grand point.
Problem being that there are a lot of lazy and shiftless people who claw their way into middle management, and look upon underlings with any sort of initiative as potential threats to their status.

My advice is if you are not happy with your job, find another one, even if it is a stop gap job until you can work your way to where you want to be or let it be known why you are not happy. Man up one way or the other. I gave my notice at a job without having another and told them flat out I would rather work at McDonald's for minimum wage than a place that screwed the hardest workers over while rewarding the least productive ones. What was to be my last day they offered me a lot more money to stay, so I stayed and earned every penny of it.....for 6 months until I found another job in another city that I actually was excited to go to every day.
I think there is some confusion. I left that job. No quiet quitting. Quiet quitting is about doing the job that you were hired to do and not doing extra usually for free or this expectation that you will always cover this other individuals stuff because they quit. My point was that I disagreed with quiet quitting initially. However, many of the reasons that I quit my last job are the exact same as those that are quiet quitting.

I was working 9-16 hours a day. I left because the individual I was working for lied consistently. I stayed as long as I did trying to protect people until we reached a level that I felt that my people were being targeted the longer that I stayed. Best thing that I ever did.

So, why aren't they making changes?
How are you coping? Why haven't you left yet?
I work for a union so I am working a normal day.
The college graduates working for tech companies are working 100 hours a week to make their 80K-100K...they get no benefits,

Quiet Quitting is doing your job that you are getting paid for and not doing the job of the "higher paying" position that the company always seems to be looking to fill.

Thats NOT what I read, from the woman who started this "movement".
It's doing JUST BARELY ENOUGH work to be considered actual work. NOT doing what you were HIRED to do, and definitely not doing ALL the work you are being PAID to do.

And these people expect RAISES from clicking a keyboard button two or three times a day? LMAO!!

These are Clock Riders and scammers!! WHO do they think gets the work THEY don't do, dumped ON????

While the pandemic made this "quiet quitting" a front burner topic, it's been around for years. It can be because of a bad boss, but it's mostly a result of the work "hustle culture" that's been a part of the fabric of American life since the 80's at least. Maybe longer. Asian countries such as China and Japan have a similar "work takes up most of my life" culture. Most Americans don't make use of their limited vacation time, and when they do, they're expected to maintain some type of connection with work (email, voicemail). The result if they don't is potential replacement and loss of promotion and upward mobility. It becomes an endless circle. If you look at a lot of European countries, the culture is a 180 from America. For example, I had customers in England and France that I had technical relationships with. At 5PM (their time), they were gone. No one in the office. And on the weekend? Forget about it. They clearly delineate their work and off time. Vacation policies are liberal (usually a month, in some countries more). And you are not expected to maintain contact with work while you are on vacation. It's a completely different world if you travel and do business abroad in Europe. In most of Asia, they closely mirror us...sometimes even more extreme.

It's all about what you want out of your work/life.

It
That is exactly where we are at. Any time off that I had I was connected.

This is why I am so thrilled that my Deptat work Unionized in 2009. I give my employer 100% of my time, energy, and skill from 6am to 4pm, Monday through Thursday (Monday in office and the other three days WFH).

At 4:01, it’s MY time. If you want that time, you pay for it. 3 hour minimum for OT pay (1.5x base) even if you only need me for 45 minutes. Same I’d you want me earlier than 6am. Don’t call me on weekend or nights unless they’re opening Storm Rooms.

I use every minute of my earned sick leave and vacation time. Hell, I buy an extra week of vacation most years. 256 hours of PTO this year, plus 10 holidays.

Quiet Quitting is doing your job that you are getting paid for and not doing the job of the "higher paying" position that the company always seems to be looking to fill.
The additional job duties without additional compensation. Yep. In my experience we have such a high turnover rate that it was out of control.

It's doing JUST BARELY ENOUGH work to be considered actual work. NOT doing what you were HIRED to do, and definitely not doing ALL the work you are being PAID to do.

And these people expect RAISES from clicking a keyboard button two or three times a day? LMAO!!

These are Clock Riders and scammers!! WHO do they think gets the work THEY don't do, dumped ON????

Can you find that documentation? I would love to see it for myself. Thanks.

I watch quite a bit of YouTube videos regarding WEB development because I know a lot of graduates from my community who work for the big name techs.
Their parents have told them to find out on the interviews what their position demands from them.
If the company constantly wants more and doesn't reward, don't do it as you'll never get paid more.

Forum List

Back