Question: Who Said "Drill Baby, Drill!!!"

Titanic Sailor

Aug 31, 2009
Was it Sarah Palin, or Obama?

;)

:clap2:

At least he saved the Department of Education for the left, and the IRS.......

We've got a thread for this, but I'll post the same as I did in the other.

This legislation is a political posturing move that the GOP astonishingly seems desperate to succumb too. To put this in perspective, let me inform you that there are over 4,000 leases in the Gulf of mexico and off american shores for offshore drilling. Less than a quarter of these are actually in use, the rest are used for assets on the oil companies sheets, and many of these leases require yearly renewal.

This means that the potential for LEGAL, offshore drilling has been available for more than a DECADE. Why hasn't it been developed? Quite simply because it's expensive. I believe (and don't quote me on this exact figure until I can pull numbers), that it would cost roughly $85 or so a barrel to initially drill and obtain usable oil. The current price is about $83 a barrel on the market.

In contrast, I believe the figure was roughly about $3 a barrel in the Middle Eastern regions like Saudi Arabia.

Even if we could somehow reduce this cost, unless we became closer to south American leftist governments like Venezuela, our dependence on the Middle East would still be vast and OPEC would simply decrease their supply to offset american increase.

No, no, in short, this is just a bone to throw to the right so that when they go to pass whatever alternative energy/climate change bill, they've already deflated a huge part of their opposition. the only way you on the right can stop this is by actually SUPPORTING this effort wholeheartedly to be honest.

With the divisiveness in our country, if you make it look like you oppose the bill in anyway, including reminding liberals that Obama was first against before he was for it, liberals will support it, and vice versa.

Good luck :). I'm not really taking any sides in this debate, I just like watching how it's been playing out.

;)

Sarah Palin was the crazy "Drill Baby"

Obama took the reasoned sensible position of taxing oil companies & banning drilling of the OCS.

I am so glad we elected a sensible leader that sticks to his guns & does not sway with the political winds. I just know all the investors who poured their savings into bio-fuel, ethanol, wind & solar sing Obama's praises & stand with their strong leader.:lol:

This legislation is a political posturing move that the GOP astonishingly seems desperate to succumb too. To put this in perspective, let me inform you that there are over 4,000 leases in the Gulf of mexico and off american shores for offshore drilling. Less than a quarter of these are actually in use, the rest are used for assets on the oil companies sheets, and many of these leases require yearly renewal.

This means that the potential for LEGAL, offshore drilling has been available for more than a DECADE. Why hasn't it been developed? Quite simply because it's expensive. I believe (and don't quote me on this exact figure until I can pull numbers), that it would cost roughly $85 or so a barrel to initially drill and obtain usable oil. The current price is about $83 a barrel on the market.

In contrast, I believe the figure was roughly about $3 a barrel in the Middle Eastern regions like Saudi Arabia.

Even if we could somehow reduce this cost, unless we became closer to south American leftist governments like Venezuela, our dependence on the Middle East would still be vast and OPEC would simply decrease their supply to offset american increase.

No, no, in short, this is just a bone to throw to the right so that when they go to pass whatever alternative energy/climate change bill, they've already deflated a huge part of their opposition. the only way you on the right can stop this is by actually SUPPORTING this effort wholeheartedly to be honest.

With the divisiveness in our country, if you make it look like you oppose the bill in anyway, including reminding liberals that Obama was first against before he was for it, liberals will support it, and vice versa.

Good luck :). I'm not really taking any sides in this debate, I just like watching how it's been playing out.

I think the price was $3 in Alaska, $5 in middle east, & $67 for shale $75 for the OCS. I figured without speculation the middle east would hold oil prices just below our shale cost to keep us from drilling. These prices were in 2004. Inflation may have crept in a bit since then.

;)

Lets see, Obama could either give the oil companies this offshore drilling rights or he could deal with them raising their gas prices everyday until the elections.

What would you do?

I think the price was $3 in Alaska, $5 in middle east, & $67 for shale $75 for the OCS. I figured without speculation the middle east would hold oil prices just below our shale cost to keep us from drilling. These prices were in 2004. Inflation may have crept in a bit since then.

Thanks for that, much obliged. I know its slightly higher for all of the ME, but I think saudi arabia is just 2.50. Alaska is probably roughly the same, but the cost of infrastructure, environmental impact, and political repercussions will ensure that Alaska is left alone for some time. I think prices have crept up a bit to around the $70-$80 region though.

Thanks again.

Complete shift by Obama again, and the reactions are already rolling in. Maintaining or exceeding Bush failures were one hell of a policy direction for Barak.

I am shocked, spin away.

Forum List

Back