[Question] What tv channels and media are available in Palestine/Israel?

I would imagine there is, teddyearp, hope someone will enlighten us. There used to be a PLO radio station in Beirut.
And when I was there, if you tried to tune in radio stations from Arab countries they were all blocked somehow, yes, true, in 1970s.
I am in touch with some WB folks who obviously do have access to internet. I don't know if this is from their own homes? Obviously universities/colleges and libraries would have access, too.

But again my question is if the reverse is true or not? Anyone?

without electric or if stations were damaged in the conflict, many stations were nothing but static. People start shooting into the windows you drop the mic and head for cover. many stations only aired for a few hours a day, back then. When they were operating tv and radio stations might not air for more than four hours. It was not 24/7 like today. Your talking about more than 40 yrs ago. Even the US didn't have tv and radio stations running all day.
242a946a37207ba29cf28f80d983baf5.jpg

anyone remember these type of displays on the tv at night?

Today stations can be denied a frequency. Internet can also be blocked internally as in syria, iraq, iran. They did not want western information. Sites can be locked by a word or domain as well.

Our glorious leader Barack Hussein Obama wants a kill switch so he can preempt programming.

Yeah, he can be trusted.

aris, thank you. I got caught up again in a feint with someone's 40 year old experiences. I wasn't asking about 40 years ago. I am asking about TODAY, NOW.

I wonder if broadcast tv/radio and internet are being filtered going into the West Bank and Gaza.

without electric or if stations were damaged in the conflict, many stations were nothing but static. People start shooting into the windows you drop the mic and head for cover. many stations only aired for a few hours a day, back then. When they were operating tv and radio stations might not air for more than four hours. It was not 24/7 like today. Your talking about more than 40 yrs ago. Even the US didn't have tv and radio stations running all day.

Today stations can be denied a frequency. Internet can also be blocked internally as in syria, iraq, iran. They did not want western information. Sites can be locked by a word or domain as well.

Yup good old "test pattern." I remember. And I think you are right. And to answer teddyearp, yes, I think Israel's stations were jammed too, but after it would make little difference because few people in Arab countries could understand Hebrew. Of course all Palestinians in both Israel and occupied territories can understand Arabic just fine.

Last edited:
aris, thank you. I got caught up again in a feint with someone's 40 year old experiences. I wasn't asking about 40 years ago. I am asking about TODAY, NOW.

I wonder if broadcast tv/radio and internet are being filtered going into the West Bank and Gaza.

internet is used for palestinians to publish their own news, both real and factual. Stations have their own generators or they can broadcast via the internet so the station can be streamed.
Press and cameras abound in gaza. there is always a way to get a story, their story out. Honest fair balanced reporting when you are in gaza getting only one side is hard to come by.
Israel does not need to censor the news from gaza. It would be very hard to silence the world press with cell phones and tables. If there was not reports of news, I'm sure there would be plenty to recycle old news refurbished to fill in fill in.
Hamas has tried to limit western press from getting in to gaza but even that is not so easy. They block certain sites but they can't block all.

Yes, sorry, I was just trying to bump your thread. I thought I made clear I was talking about "when I was there, and only as a foil to spark discussion because "I want to know more too."
internet is used for palestinians to publish their own news, both real and factual. Stations have their own generators or they can broadcast via the internet so the station can be streamed.
Press and cameras abound in gaza. there is always a way to get a story, their story out. Honest fair balanced reporting when you are in gaza getting only one side is hard to come by.
Israel does not need to censor the news from gaza. It would be very hard to silence the world press with cell phones and tables. If there was not reports of news, I'm sure there would be plenty to recycle old news refurbished to fill in fill in.
Hamas has tried to limit western press from getting in to gaza but even that is not so easy. They block certain sites but they can't block all.

This story below discusses Israeli censorship by showing a rare case where one of the Israeli news stations refused to play along and consequently a story was released that otherwise would never have been heard.
"This tape was actually not supposed to be aired.... All three networks here agree that if the army doesn't like what is filmed, the footage is never broadcast. In this case the army decided this tape was too embarrassing, too damaging, so it ordered it shelved... But this past weekend Israel's Channel 2 decided to break the embargo..."

Note, the point is that the vast majority of videos that Israel does not want seen ... are never broadcast.

There is no true freedom of the press in Israel.

Last edited by a moderator:
you got figures on that "vast majority"? I got news for you-----the cops censor
news in the USA ------there are security issues-----now when it comes to the
MILITARY in the USA-------well--I cannot tell you because I was an officer in
the US military so it is illegal for me to violate my oath and TELL ALL---that is
the law even for people no longer in the military You have a very funny
idea as to what FREEDOM OF THE PRESS actually means. I will explain----
IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY-----go right ahead and say it. No one
cares. If you are in a position of CONFIDENCE----and have access to confidential
information-----YOU CAN't REVEAL that confidential information legally or
ethically. Your doctor cannot publish your medical records in the USA and
claim "freedom of the press" . If some reporter steals your medical records,
he cannot publish them, legally, either. gee you are dim

Last edited:
I was referring to the Israeli press' contention that "the vast majority" of stories that the ISRAELI army doesn't approve are never released.

And you are wrong about censorship in the U.S. There are very limited circumstances where news can be suppressed. An active police investigation would be one of them, but then they just don't release the info. Simple. And even so, it is very rare that a news outlet can actually be prevented from publishing.

Last edited:
I had an interesting realization earlier today. While chatting with a friend in Hebron, I suddenly became aware that his isp read "Hagai, Israel." Hagai is NOT in Israel, but in fact is a small settlement whose job it is to oppress nearby Hebron. No doubt his internet is being monitored by the Zionists up on the nearby hill....

So THAT is the sort of internet Palestinians have....

Last edited:

Most unlikely as all that is needed is a satellite dish beamed at the Astra birds and you have world wide tv channels. Same with the internet which is now satellite based. Being a radio ham I understand how hard it is to do broadband jamming, and if this was the case I would not be able to contact OD5ZZ in Lebanon ( Walid Karami )

The various governments have tried to filter the internet and have failed due to simple tricks by the site owners. One is to send the site to a proxy in another country that does not have the filtering and you are back in business. Another is to piggyback on an allowed site's bandwidth and you are in ( done by paedophiles a while back on investment sites and you could not see the site hidden without the codes )

Yup good old "test pattern." I remember. And I think you are right. And to answer teddyearp, yes, I think Israel's stations were jammed too, but after it would make little difference because few people in Arab countries could understand Hebrew. Of course all Palestinians in both Israel and occupied territories can understand Arabic just fine.

BULLCRAP stop trying to look intelligent when you aren't.

Yes, sorry, I was just trying to bump your thread. I thought I made clear I was talking about "when I was there, and only as a foil to spark discussion because "I want to know more too."

This story below discusses Israeli censorship by showing a rare case where one of the Israeli news stations refused to play along and consequently a story was released that otherwise would never have been heard.
"This tape was actually not supposed to be aired.... All three networks here agree that if the army doesn't like what is filmed, the footage is never broadcast. In this case the army decided this tape was too embarrassing, too damaging, so it ordered it shelved... But this past weekend Israel's Channel 2 decided to break the embargo..."

Note, the point is that the vast majority of videos that Israel does not want seen ... are never broadcast.

There is no true freedom of the press in Israel.

Until someone comes along and shows them, showing that your claim is a LIE.

Did you know that in the UK we have what is termed a "D" notice which is in effect a news blackout. This does not stop foreign media from showing the offending material and the details being seen in the UK.

The US will no doubt have a similar system in place and all they can do is remonstrate with the media outlets that show the offending material.

Arent you glad we are not like hamas that threaten reporters with beatings and murder if they show material that they don't want the world to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to the Israeli press' contention that "the vast majority" of stories that the ISRAELI army doesn't approve are never released.

And you are wrong about censorship in the U.S. There are very limited circumstances where news can be suppressed. An active police investigation would be one of them, but then they just don't release the info. Simple. And even so, it is very rare that a news outlet can actually be prevented from publishing.

Then you have not followed the recent scandal involving the Media in the UK were many reporters are now in prison for illegal activity. It spread all the way to the US and many US media representatives face arrest, trial and prison if they set foot in the E.U. for breaches of privacy laws.

The U.S. has even more severe privacy laws and many people sue news media corporations for millions every year, and in the majority of cases they pay up rather than go to court

I had an interesting realization earlier today. While chatting with a friend in Hebron, I suddenly became aware that his isp read "Hagai, Israel." Hagai is NOT in Israel, but in fact is a small settlement whose job it is to oppress nearby Hebron. No doubt his internet is being monitored by the Zionists up on the nearby hill....

So which company is his ISP then, so I can check their address using whois.

Do you even know what ISP stands for, and are you sure you are not getting confused with I.P. which is a number that allows your computer to talk with the internet.

Guess I have caught you out again making yourself look intelligent when you are just reading from a script, written by someone with less intelligence than you.

Do you even know what ISP stands for, and are you sure you are not getting confused with I.P. which is a number that allows your computer to talk with the internet.

Guess I have caught you out again making yourself look intelligent when you are just reading from a script, written by someone with less intelligence than you.

Yes, I am curious about this claim as well, amity.

You need access codes for cable and internet and many hospitals and office building can jam cell phones and wifi for safety and security. Even pay per view movies can not be casually picked up by any box, they need to have the right coding.
ISP is like giving your computer a house address so mail can find you.

Actually aris, ISP stands for Internet Service Provider. It is an IP address that you are talking about. I have a server and I check the logs all the time for the IP addresses of who is visiting, and especially those who are trying to log into the backside of it.

Actually aris, ISP stands for Internet Service Provider. It is an IP address that you are talking about. I have a server and I check the logs all the time for the IP addresses of who is visiting, and especially those who are trying to log into the backside of it.

for people that still would no understand it serves the same as a regular address for the computer. Information and mail can be traced to and from that location.

BULLCRAP stop trying to look intelligent when you aren't.

Intelligent? or just old?

I remember test patterns! and it wasn't that long ago, either.

Yes, I am curious about this claim as well, amity.

Go on facebook and start a chat with someone in the west bank. I can almost guarantee you will see 'POSTED FROM ...... ISRAEL" underneath their posts

Last edited:

Forum List

Back