Question if i get a new computer

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
I will get a desktop. Someone told me the new ones dont have a LAN port like mine has now. Is that true? Mine is connected to cox cable from a line under the house to a lan port in the computer.

Just curious why do you need a desktop? The laptops made today usually meet the needs of most users and are obviously more portable. And everything has gone wireless now. I have Cox cable and 4 computers at various spots in my house with no wired connections to any of them. The router is the transmitter/receiver for internet connections.

I will get a desktop. Someone told me the new ones dont have a LAN port like mine has now. Is that true? Mine is connected to cox cable from a line under the house to a lan port in the computer.

Any new computer I'd buy would have a CAT5 cable.

Umm, Any computer worth it's salt will have a LAN port.

Some fancier ones have 2.

Why not Cat6 or even Cat7? :)

Just curious why do you need a desktop? The laptops made today usually meet the needs of most users and are obviously more portable. And everything has gone wireless now. I have Cox cable and 4 computers at various spots in my house with no wired connections to any of them. The router is the transmitter/receiver for internet connections.
You can get better performance cheaper on desktop if you don't need the portability of a laptop.

Because I'm from the stone age? :dunno:

Ethernet port..better?

Because you then get accused of being a crazy Cat person.

:badgrin:

I've been thinking about a laptop but will always keep my desktop. No worrying about battery life or recharging and they have just about every little gadget one can ask for.

I also like my wireless keyboard and mouse along with a separate movable monitor.

But, go for what you take a liking to.

Many reasons to stil go desk top. First among them is speed if you want gigabit transfer rates wire is the only way to go. Futrther more for security purposes wired is more secure. Desk top allows for expansion and repair that is much more difficult in a laptop. For games with high graphics accileration desk tops handles these better. Also for people with design or coding software the expandability of screens offered in a desk top far out reaches the lap top.

Many reasons to stil go desk top. First among them is speed if you want gigabit transfer rates wire is the only way to go. Futrther more for security purposes wired is more secure. Desk top allows for expansion and repair that is much more difficult in a laptop. For games with high graphics accileration desk tops handles these better. Also for people with design or coding software the expandability of screens offered in a desk top far out reaches the lap top.
Well sure but she was using an old computer so it seemed a new laptop might fit the bill.

Isn't confirmed yet but you should check all the ports while purchasing a new desktop. I would suggest you go to the nearest store and get all your queries done and get one from there.

ALl I can say is be careful of the $300 desktops from Walmart etc.
They should not be able to sell them, they are grossly under powered and have about half the RAM you need. You will be pulling your hair out as the CPU and HD will routinely, as in multiple times a day, reach 100% usage. At that point every move will take 10-15 seconds to do.
Do NOT buy a desktop with less than 8GB RAM.

Forum List

Back