Question about Kaskaskia, Illinois.

BrickHouse88

Mar 5, 2022
Well, if you’ve ever heard of the city/village, you probably know it was the first capital of Illinois. It was originally a French city in the 1600’s or 1700’s back when France owned Illinois’s territory.
The city was built right on the Mississippi river, just east of it.

Well years later in 1881 when Illinois was part of America, the Mississippi river carved a new path and went right through the city of Kaskaskia flooding it. Big rivers do that, if you didn’t know.. Dirt and soot builds up in the river, and the water then has to move around it, and the river will end up carving a new path through land.

If you look on a map now, Kaskaskia is actually west of the Mississippi river, because of the new path the mighty Mississippi carved/made.

My question is: Why didn’t France or USA build levees or cement walls to prevent this from happening? Levees were invented in the 1700’s. Did USA have real shallow levees or weak cement walls along Kaskaskia or something?

Anyone know if the Mississippi flooded any other Illinois cities, or cities in US from carving a new path? Did the French people not know in the 1600’s that big ass rivers will carve a different path over time?, maybe building a city right on a huge river might have risks?

If anyone has info on this, please share what you know. I grew up in Illinois, and am interested in hearing if anyone’s got anything to say related to this.

Attachments

• 54FE0ACB-6549-4F9A-B03F-72CF669A0859.png
    54FE0ACB-6549-4F9A-B03F-72CF669A0859.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 1AD83B3D-8823-46A1-8EB4-DBD00EDC7643.png
    1AD83B3D-8823-46A1-8EB4-DBD00EDC7643.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
My question is: Why didn’t France or USA build levees or cement walls to prevent this from happening? Levees were invented in the 1700’s. Did USA have real shallow levees or weak cement walls along Kaskaskia or something?

It took a lot of manpower to build levees back then; who was going to transport them there and then pay them? How big was the town then anyway? The big railroads went across the rivers and bypassed it, so it held no economic importance in 1881, so no interest in levees at that point in the river.

Last edited:
Fascinating.

No. Not
It took a lot of manpower to build levees back then; who was going to transport them there and then pay them? How big was the town then anyway? The big railroads went across the rivers and bypassed it, so it held no economic importance in 1881, so no interest in levees at that point in the river.
It was the capital of Illinois from 1809-1819. You’d think early Illinoisians would be wary of having the capital right next to one of the biggest rivers in the continent and consider setting up some sturdy barriers for protection..

Last edited:
It was the capital of Illinois from 1809-1819. You’d think early Illinoisians would be wary of having the capital right next to one of the biggest rivers in the continent and consider setting up some sturdy barriers for protection..
No. I wouldn’t. In fact, I’ve heard of places where the location of capitols have been changed. True story! Ever hear of the place called Washington DC?

perhaps it was a deliberate destruction, the Bolsheviks were also engaged in the destruction of archeology in Central Asia. In particular, they wanted to flood the Aryan Andronovo culture.

Judging by the name, it could be a settlement of the Cossacks.

This just might shed light on the US connection with Austria-Hungary.

I don’t believe in fairy tales at all that the British could “buy” huge lands along with people like cucumbers in the market, this is some kind of fucking crazy nonsense.

There are many blank spots in the history of America. The symbolism and paraphernalia of the United States, their culture has nothing to do with Britain, it is like two drops of water similar to Austria-Hungary.

I think that there were a lot of forgeries during Roosevelt, there was almost complete dictate and arbitrariness of the left. They must have rewritten US history.

Forum List

Back