Question about cooked rice "science".........

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I have a friend that says cooked rice, stored overnight in the fridge, loses its ability to turn into sugar in the bloodstream.
Does anybody know if this is true?

I've asked this in medical forums, but I don't get an answer to my question. I GET an answer, but it has nothing to do with what I asked.

I have a friend that says cooked rice, stored overnight in the fridge, loses its ability to turn into sugar in the bloodstream.

I've asked this in medical forums, but I don't get an answer to my question. I GET an answer, but it has nothing to do with what I asked.

That's like saying you can't get pregnant doing it doggy style.

RIce does not magically cease to be carbohydrates frome being refrigerated overnight. It's still.gonna affect glucose levels and such.

Jesucat.gif

Yes, my son??

Well, thats my problem. Diabetic. Love rice.

I eat it once a year as it is. Was hoping he was right, I'd go back to scarfing the stuff.

Oh well.

Don't eat sticky rice.. Try extra long grain white rice and rinse it in a sieve before you cook it..

Eat only a cup and no gloppy sauces.. Try steamed veggies with it.

A little web searching ...

Best Rice Varieties for people with Diabetes​

Can people with diabetes consume rice?​

Let’s first bust some myths. Due to the starch and carbohydrate content, it is thought that eating rice increases your blood sugar levels and so it should not be included in a diabetes diet plan.

This is not true. You can eat rice. If you consider the nutritional profile of rice, you would understand why rice should be a part of your diet for diabetes.

Nutritional profile of rice​

We eat rice not just because it’s soft, tasty, and easy to digest, it’s a high-energy food that is packed with nutrients.

• It is loaded with calories containing around 345 calories for every 100 grams.
  • It is cholesterol free
  • It’s rich in vitamins and minerals
  • It is good for promoting good gut bacteria
  • Rice contains less sodium and so is better for people with hypertension
  • It’s full of calcium, potassium, iron, and phosphorus
  • Rice contains riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, and other vitamins that prevent certain forms of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and heart disease

While there are numerous benefits of rice, the fact that they are polished or whitened robs this grain of many of its nutrients. In the buffing process that happens in milling, rice loses most of its fiber content. The top layer called the barn layer, which contains most of the nutrients is lost during milling.

Moreover, the glycemic index of white rice (boiled) is around 73 which is very high. A porridge made from rice has a glycemic index of 78. This means that white rice releases sugar into the bloodstream very quickly and increases your post-meal blood sugar levels. That is why white rice should not be a part of your diabetes diet plan.

Best varieties of rice for people with diabetes​

Here are some varieties of rice that have lesser glycemic index when compared to white rice. This means they take more time to digest and release sugars into the bloodstream slowly.

Alternative to white rice Glycemic Index (boiled)
Brown rice50 to 55
Whole grain basmati rice50 to 52
Steamed brown riceAround 50
Red riceAround 55
Black rice42 to 45
Wild rice45

Whole grain basmati rice is known to have resistant starch, cooper, and magnesium that increases the digestion time and so should be a part of your diabetes diet plan. While lower glycemic index varieties like whole grain basmati rice, black rice, and wild rice are good options to be included in your diabetic food list, the method of cooking might increase the glycemic index drastically.

Forum List

Back