Quasi-Poll: Financing a College Education

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
It is a widespread belief among Leftists, especially in Congress, that there is a figurative "goldmine of genius" abroad in the U.S., that "goldmine" being the academic and professional capabilities of bright, motivated kids from "poor" families who have to forego college because their parents cannot afford to help them get through it.

I have my doubts. My personal experience (though it is from a vastly different educational era) illustrates my point.

Long story short, I went to college, and my college was financed by the following sources:
  • Accumulated savings from working F/T after HS graduation and during breaks,
  • Small personal loan from my grandmother ($500 - repaid within six months),
  • GI Bill (after three years in the Army),
  • State subsidized loan ($1,000)
  • One-time grant from Pennsylvania higher-ed assistance agency - $1,200 (because I was a vet, this was automatic),
  • Employer tuition assistance,
  • Earnings of myself and my wife as I completed undergrad and law school.
Because I was making it work, I never actually pursued other scholarships and grants that I might have qualified for; I was in a "Bottom Quintile" household until the time I was finishing my undergrad studies. I graduated from college at age 28 - 3 years military service intervened - and from law school at age 32 with no school-related debt.

I dare say, while the cost of higher education has increased dramatically since the Stone Age, there are many more programs available for "poor" yoots, especially if they are Black or LatinX. If a kid today is truly "college material," and is motivated to get a college education, s/he is getting it. In my circle of friends and acquaintances - some of whom are poor by any definition - every kid who belonged (belongs) in college has managed to get a college education.

And I resent the widespread feeling in this Land that military service is simply off the table. It is a FANTASTIC option for people of little means, and if you are "college material,' they will embrace you like a brother and give you training in any number of possible fields that could greatly enhance your economic value, even as a later college grad. No matter the color of your skin or the state if your gonads.

So my poll question is as follows: Based on your personal experience and knowledge, are there a lot of worthy kids who are having to forego college because their families can't afford to help them?

NOTE that this is a different question from "crushing student debt" after college, although many of the same factors play into that problem.

It is a widespread belief among Leftists, especially in Congress, that there is a figurative "goldmine of genius" abroad in the U.S., that "goldmine" being the academic and professional capabilities of bright, motivated kids from "poor" families who have to forego college because their parents cannot afford to help them get through it.

I have my doubts. My personal experience (though it is from a vastly different educational era) illustrates my point.

Long story short, I went to college, and my college was financed by the following sources:
  • One-time grant from Pennsylvania higher-ed assistance agency - $1,200 (because I was a vet, this was automatic),
Because I was making it work, I never actually pursued other scholarships and grants that I might have qualified for; I was in a "Bottom Quintile" household until the time I was finishing my undergrad studies. I graduated from college at age 28 - 3 years military service intervened - and from law school at age 32 with no school-related debt.

I dare say, while the cost of higher education has increased dramatically since the Stone Age, there are many more programs available for "poor" yoots, especially if they are Black or LatinX. If a kid today is truly "college material," and is motivated to get a college education, s/he is getting it. In my circle of friends and acquaintances - some of whom are poor by any definition - every kid who belonged (belongs) in college has managed to get a college education.

And I resent the widespread feeling in this Land that military service is simply off the table. It is a FANTASTIC option for people of little means, and if you are "college material,' they will embrace you like a brother and give you training in any number of possible fields that could greatly enhance your economic value, even as a later college grad. No matter the color of your skin or the state if your gonads.

So my poll question is as follows: Based on your personal experience and knowledge, are there a lot of worthy kids who are having to forego college because their families can't afford to help them?

NOTE that this is a different question from "crushing student debt" after college, although many of the same factors play into that problem.
I live in Ireland and college is almost free for my kids.

The current model shows what happens when so much "free" money is made available for college...More money chasing the same amount of goods, the price goes up....Econ 101 that should be a compulsory course in HS.

Therefore, the costs have become so inflated that it's doubtless that many are not attending because, it's beyond the financial reach of the families.....Not that a non-STEM college degree has any real value out in The World as a matter of course.

I paid off my college loans within a couple of years.
It took me several years after college to realize that some of my liberal Professors didn't know much about real life.

Went to college using the G.I. Bill after 2 years of service in the Army.
During college worked part time at a pizza place and a gas station.
My father chipped in and paid for my books each semester.
I never had more than $10 bucks in my pocket during those 4 years.
I'm told today the only reason I attained a degree was White Privilege. ... :cool:

I'd like to add: few of my HS friends got any help from their parents to go to college. It was work, study, borrow.

My own brother used to whine that he couldn't go to college because Dad couldn't help out; he stopped that when I graduated.

It is bogus to say that you can't go to college because your parents are poor.

Forum List

Back