Puzzles

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
MrGracie and I have a new hobby: Puzzles. But only the 300/500/750 large piece puzzles. Easier to grasp and see with out decrepit fingers and poor eyesight, lol.

Only problem is....they cost too damn much! $10 and up. So, we hit the thrift shops and buy them for $1 to $2.50 and hope all the pieces are there since they are used. Most times, we luck out and all are there. Sometimes an edge is missing but we put it together anyway. Takes us 2 days to do one puzzle with both of us working on it..so we go thru alot of puzzles. I was re-donating them back once done, but have decided to keep the ones we like to do again in a year or so.

We don't have a kitchen table for eating anymore. It holds our puzzles we are working on, instead. :21:

I find they are really great for keeping MrG's mind occupied. Beats having him veg out in front of the damn tv, laying in the bed!

Y'all do puzzles?

MrGracie and I have a new hobby: Puzzles. But only the 300/500/750 large piece puzzles. Easier to grasp and see with out decrepit fingers and poor eyesight, lol.

Only problem is....they cost too damn much! $10 and up. So, we hit the thrift shops and buy them for $1 to $2.50 and hope all the pieces are there since they are used. Most times, we luck out and all are there. Sometimes an edge is missing but we put it together anyway. Takes us 2 days to do one puzzle with both of us working on it..so we go thru alot of puzzles. I was re-donating them back once done, but have decided to keep the ones we like to do again in a year or so.

We don't have a kitchen table for eating anymore. It holds our puzzles we are working on, instead. :21:

I find they are really great for keeping MrG's mind occupied. Beats having him veg out in front of the damn tv, laying in the bed!

Y'all do puzzles?
I don't do them anymore, but we did them as a family years ago. It was fun. My mother, father and me and my two siblings all pitched in. This was when I was roughly 10-14 years old, my sister 8-12 and my brother 4-8 years old. As we got older and our family started drifting apart, we forgot about the puzzles. With both of my parents now having passed away as of last August, I really miss quality family times like these.

Y'all do puzzles?
Thanks, again, for your post. It has brought back some very nice memories of my family.

Did you ever work a puzzle and there was one piece that didn't fit anywhere? The color was different and it seemed like it just didn't belong, then when you finally finish the puzzle you realize that piece belongs to a different puzzle? I hate when that happens.

Did you ever work a puzzle and there was one piece that didn't fit anywhere? The color was different and it seemed like it just didn't belong, then when you finally finish the puzzle you realize that piece belongs to a different puzzle? I hate when that happens.
Yep, that happened sometimes. Frustrating, but also kind of funny.

This would happen sometimes when, as a family, we would have two puzzles going. And fairly close to each other. Sometimes we would get some of the pieces from the WRONG puzzle mixed in.

You just explained my life in a nut shell...

And another fantastic thing about doing the puzzles as a family is my parents liked rock and roll, as we kids did. They would let us listen to rock music while we did the puzzles. We almost wore out records such as Creedence Gold by CCR, a couple by Neil Diamond, when he was still sort of a rocker. I think Tapestry by Carole King was one of them, as well as several albums by Three Dog Night. Looking back, they were wonderful times.

My wife and I are puzzle addicts. Since we are both up in years (she's 75 and I'm 80) we prefer the 300 piece easy-grip. We have done one puzzle that was 2,000 pieces and several that were 1,000. Presently, we limit our purchases to 500 pieces. We have over 200 puzzles in the house right now and we have done each one at least twice. We do a puzzle almost every day. I used to purchase many of my puzzles at the local thrift store, but over the last several years, they have been hard to find. My wife and I have framed a dozen puzzles and have glued, but not framed, a few dozen more. In my home there are puzzles everywhere.

My wife and I don't have TV service. We gave it up several years ago because of the lack of content and incessant commercials. We use our TV set solely for videos. When my wife and I are not watching a video we cover the TV screen with a Thomas Kinkade puzzle that we glued and framed. This is what our TV looks like.

Kinkade - The Light of Peace | PuzzleWarehouse.com

This would happen sometimes when, as a family, we would have two puzzles going. And fairly close to each other. Sometimes we would get some of the pieces from the WRONG puzzle mixed in.
I used to do it on purpose just to watch my sister spend hours trying to figure out where that piece went. Very entertaining when you're 10 years old. Hell, it's entertaining now.

I guess when ya get older...puzzles are th ebest thing to keep the brain sharp. I know when I hit the thrift shops, the EZ grip ones are almost all gone and the folks tell me senior citizens come in daily looking for them.

Maybe we should start a "Swap Puzzle" group, lol. Pay shipping if someone sends some your way..limit 3 per shipping package...and share with each other. Would be cheaper than buying the darn things, no?

I hate the 1000 pc puzzles but I ran out of 300/500 ones and am stuck with doing some birds on a 1k pc puzzle. This one is going to take more than 2 friggin days. :(

What's y'alls favorite scenes of puzzles? Kincade? I like the Wysocki's.

Y'all do puzzles?

Occasionally I'll do a word search, sliding tile, mahjong or room escape type puzzle.

Forum List

Back