Pushy, Rude Pedestrians Walking Right Out in Front of Your Car

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
It seems to me that, more and more lately, pedestrians just walk right out in front of your car, forcing you to slow down or even come to a complete stop in order to avoid hitting them. They obviously are aware of the fact that your car is coming - but they walk right out anyway, secure in the knowledge that you will see them and will slow or stop for them.

What is running through their minds? I suspect it is something like: "Here comes this car. But I don't want to delay my progress in any way, so I'll just keep walking. The driver will see me and have to stop. Screw him/her - better they be delayed than me."

I submit this is yet another example of the growing rudeness and lack of consideration displayed by people towards other people.

I'm not talking about situations where the pedestrian has the right of way to begin with, such as in a crosswalk. Rather, I am talking about this happening in parking lots, in front of markets, places such as that.

Your thoughts?

It seems to me that, more and more lately, pedestrians just walk right out in front of your car, forcing you to slow down or even come to a complete stop in order to avoid hitting them. They obviously are aware of the fact that your car is coming - but they walk right out anyway, secure in the knowledge that you will see them and will slow or stop for them.

What is running through their minds? I suspect it is something like: "Here comes this car. But I don't want to delay my progress in any way, so I'll just keep walking. The driver will see me and have to stop. Screw him/her - better they be delayed than me."

I submit this is yet another example of the growing rudeness and lack of consideration displayed by people towards other people.

I'm not talking about situations where the pedestrian has the right of way to begin with, such as in a crosswalk. Rather, I am talking about this happening in parking lots, in front of markets, places such as that.

Your thoughts?

The car has the right of way in Utah. The crossing lane lines are no legal protection. You walk against the traffic.

Pedestrians always have the right of way, even if they're jaywalking.

But I agree, people take advantage of it rather frequently. Even worse is black women who often seem slow down to a crawl when they see that I'm a white guy. I guess they figure it's some sort of cosmic payback or something.

Your thoughts?

you notice that too?

i see people crossing the street against the light... when i have the light. and they give you dirty looks if you honk your horn.

Your thoughts?

The car has the right of way in Utah. The crossing lane lines are no legal protection. You walk against the traffic.

The car has the right of way in California (except at cross walks). That's my point - these bozos know full well that the car has the right of way, yet walk right out anyway.

Your thoughts?

you notice that too?

i see people crossing the street against the light... when i have the light. and they give you dirty looks if you honk your horn.

I just knew you were the honking type.

Your thoughts?

I am not saying I agree or condone this, but 30 years ago, a friend of mine had a cure for people that would purposely wait till you got close to the intersection and walk in front of him, well he had 69 or 70 Chevelle SS 396, he would drop it in first and light up the tires, when they heard those tires squealing and the glass packs come alive, they would dive back to the sidewalk.

Your thoughts?

Displaced New Yorkers.

Your thoughts?

The gas pedal is the one on the right.

Your thoughts?

Your rude idiots walk? Mine sashay, while texting, oblivious to their surroundings.

It isn't just you, people have become ruder. . . . much ruder.

I am not saying I agree or condone this, but 30 years ago, a friend of mine had a cure for people that would purposely wait till you got close to the intersection and walk in front of him, well he had 69 or 70 Chevelle SS 396, he would drop it in first and light up the tires, when they heard those tires squealing and the glass packs come alive, they would dive back to the sidewalk.

The converse of that is to purposely wait until the last second to stop your car. The longer you wait, the more it convinces the jerk that, hey, this guy really DIDN'T see me - he ISN'T going to stop! Then, at the last split second, you slam on the brakes. The goal is to stop the front bumper of your car about, oh, 3/4 of an inch or so from the jerk's ass.

I did that once. As I then drove on, the guy kicked the side of my car. I slammed on the brakes. He ran. No harm done to the car. Wife still yaks at me about that one. (Wives don't understand this kind of stuff.)

If your from CA then you know why :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LAW SUIT!

But I agree the world is becoming ruder (witness this board) However, I think the bicyclist are worse then the pedestrians. Oh and I forgot about the oblivious women with strollers.

Forum List

Back