Pulpit Freedom Sunday.

jtpr312

Sep 29, 2012
Md
Thousands of Pastors across the nation took part in a challenge against the un-Constitutional Johnson amendment, (named for President Johnson who put forth the un-Constitutional amendment in 1954 while a Senator), today by publically endorsing specific candidates from the pulpits of their churchs. I am happy to say we participated in this and I preached the 8:15 service and my Pastor the 11:15 service and both of us preached against obama, the democratic party in general and various local democrats here in Md. Personally even though I could not bring myself to endorse a mormon from the pulpit, even though to defeat obama I will be voting for him and said so, I made it perfectly clear that a vote for obama was vote against America and that voting to support the liberal democrat party in this nation was a vote against the values of the Lord we serve. The sermon my Pastor led, along with thousands of others from around the nation, will be sent to the IRS this week to dare them to take legal action. The Constitution gives the Church not only tax exemption, but the right to freedom of speech and freedom from the govt dictating the content of what is said by the Pastor/Priest/Rabbi in performance of the duties his faith dictates. We'll now wait and see what the IRS wishes to do as our hope is to take these cases to the courts to clear up the fact that the govt cannot dictate content and cannot stifle the voice of the church in this nation's political process. The Constitution guarantees our church's freedoms, not some bureacrat in the IRS or some liberal facist democratic Senator.

Last edited:
I'm a conservative but I have to say that if you want tax-exempt status you shouldn't officially endorse any candidate. Yes, we are guaranteed freedom of religion, but we are not guaranteed freedom from taxes.

Unfortunately.

Thousands of Pastors across the nation took part in a challenge against the un-Constitutional Johnson amendment, (named for President Johnson who put forth the un-Constitutional amendment in 1954 while a Senator), today by publically endorsing specific candidates from the pulpits of their churchs. I am happy to say we participated in this and I preached the 8:15 service and my Pastor the 11:15 service and both of us preached against obama, the democratic party in general and various local democrats here in Md. Personally even though I could not bring myself to endorse a mormon from the pulpit, even though to defeat obama I will be voting for him and said so, I made it perfectly clear that a vote for obama was vote against America and that voting to support the liberal democrat party in this nation was a vote against the values of the Lord we serve. The sermon my Pastor led, along with thousands of others from around the nation, will be sent to the IRS this week to dare them to take legal action. The Constitution gives the Church not only tax exemption, but the right to freedom of speech and freedom from the govt dictating the content of what is said by the Pastor/Priest/Rabbi in performance of the duties his faith dictates. We'll now wait and see what the IRS wishes to do as our hope is to take these cases to the courts to clear up the fact that the govt cannot dictate content and cannot stifle the voice of the church in this nation's political process. The Constitution guarantees our church's freedoms, not some bureacrat in the IRS or some liberal facist democratic Senator.

While I respect your right to worship and speak your mind, and you may very well be correct in your assessment of liberal democrats, but I disagree there is a Constitutional right to tax exemption. We're supposed to have equality under the law.

Here is a good argument from someone much smarter than me on Constitutional law.

Churches are Tax Exempt as a Matter of Constitutional Right
Mar 6, 2009 — Stanhose
The U.S. Supreme Court stated in Lemon v. Kurtzman in 1971 that non-taxation of churches is undergirded by “more than 200 years of virtually universal practice imbedded in our colonial experience and continuing into the present.” Here is why: There is a distinction between constitutionally separate “sovereigns.” For one sovereign entity to tax another leaves the taxed one subservient to that authority. This is true both in the symbolic statement of paying the tax and in the practical effect of supporting the sovereign party. So, in our constitutional structure, states may not tax each other, and they may not tax property of the federal government. The District of Columbia does not tax the property owned by foreign governments, and New York does not tax the property owned by the United Nations.

So, too, churches in America are not subservient to the government. The First Amendment to the Constitution requires that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” The Constitution prevents the government from wielding its authority to control churches. Churches in this way differ from all other businesses and organizations. They are a unique institution whose existence is not derived from government authority, nor even from governmental acknowledgment. Churches preceded the birth of our nation and will remain long after its death. They transcend geographic and ethnic boundaries.

While the church is not subservient to the government, neither is the government subservient to the church. Although government can aid or support virtually all types of social or educational institutions which have a public purpose with the use of tax money, the Supreme Court stated in 1948 that “no tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions.” Thomas Jefferson coined the highly referenced “wall of separation” between church and state (but not in the Constitution, as many people assume). The separation he referred to must be bilateral and reciprocal. Whatever the degree of separation required by the Constitution, it is surely this: the government may not make the church subservient by taxing its existence.

In Walz v. Tax Commission, the Supreme Court noted that the church’s “uninterrupted freedom from taxation” has “operated affirmatively to help guarantee the free exercise of all forms of religious belief.” The much misunderstood “separation between church and state” is in truth designed to restrict the sovereignty of each over the other. That is, it is designed to achieve a position for each that is neither master nor servant of the other. Exemption from income taxation is essential for respect of the church as a separate sovereign entity. Otherwise the government has the power to encumber and even terminate churches if such taxes are not punctually paid or cannot be so paid in full. Indeed, as the high court noted many years ago, “the power to tax involves the power to destroy.”

The fact that the Constitution mandates a tax exemption for churches is one of the best reasons why churches are not taxed.

Hope they tax the fuck out of every one of you, the American Christian Taliban needs to be slapped down, theocracies are dangerous as fuck to liberty and damned if you people do not want one, badly.

Personally even though I could not bring myself to endorse a mormon from the pulpit.

How very Christian of you................... :rolleyes:

Yes it is very Christian of me. Among dozens of others,

2Cor 6:14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?

1Cor 5: 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.

Run along now unkotare, you're ill prepared to speak on the topic of what is and what isn't Christian, but rest assured, there are many threads on heathenism that I'm sure you are very well prepared to offer and intelligent opinion on.

Here is a good argument from someone much smarter than me on Constitutional law.

Here is also an argument from someone much smarter than you on every subject:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Hd04mh9V4]Family Guy Opie - YouTube[/ame]

Hope they tax the fuck out of every one of you, the American Christian Taliban needs to be slapped down, theocracies are dangerous as fuck to liberty and damned if you people do not want one, badly.

You obviously have no idea what a theocracy even is, so run along now I'm sure you're near a toilet that needs occupying where you can spew your ignorant crap.

You obviously have no idea what a theocracy even is, so run along now I'm sure you're near a toilet that needs occupying where you can spew your ignorant crap.

It seems you would rather be a politician than a preacher, you and your political organization should be taxed like one.

Personally, until such time as we see 90% of all the money taken in by churchs used to do the things that Christ considered important, feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, healing the sick, I think that we should tax the churchs the same as any other money making business.

Since they are selling 'pie in the sky' perhaps we should also have the FDA involved.

It seems you would rather be a politician than a preacher, you and your political organization should be taxed like one.

It seems you would rather be a foul mouthed, ignorant sounding juvenile than an adult. Run along now son, I haven't the time nor the patience to deal with a person with such stunted developmental problems.

Churches and other religious organizations should lose their tax exempt status.

Personally, until such time as we see 90% of all the money taken in by churchs used to do the things that Christ considered important, feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, healing the sick, I think that we should tax the churchs the same as any other money making business.

Since they are selling 'pie in the sky' perhaps we should also have the FDA involved.

^This

It seems you would rather be a foul mouthed, ignorant sounding juvenile than an adult. Run along now son, I haven't the time nor the patience to deal with a person with such stunted developmental problems.

LOL, you do not have the time or patience to discuss things on your own thread? It's halftime, you got plenty of time to explain how you want to have your political cake and eat it too.

Never gonna happen.

Yes, this. They should get tax exemption ONLY for their charitable work.

LOL, you do not have the time or patience to discuss things on your own thread? It's halftime, you got plenty of time to explain how you want to have your political cake and eat it too.

Oh I have plenty of time to discuss anything with an intelligent adult, I don't have time for foul mouthed morons or idiots so crab yourself a beer and a sandwich during half time and don't waste any more of my time. Thanks.

Never gonna happen.

Never say never. I would certainly vote for that...and support any court case challanging religious exemption.

New Topics

Forum List

Back