Puerto Rico Voted for Statehood in 2012, Shouldnt We Do that?

Should Puerto Rico become our 51st state?

• Yes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • I dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
So should PR become the 51st state of the Union?

I like the idea, but it has been SEVEN years and Congress has not yet approved it.

Why?

Puerto Rico approves statehood

A slim majority of Puerto Ricans voted Tuesday to approve a nonbinding referendum that would make the island the 51st U.S. state. The measure requires final approval from Congress, so it means little for Puerto Rico right now. Still, nearly 54 percent of Puerto Ricans voted for a change in the U.S. commonwealth’s relationship with the United States —

US_flag_51_stars.svg_.png

Far too many Puerto Ricans to get any kind of approval from this administration.

Congress will address the issue just as soon as they finish naming post offices and patting themselves on the back. My guess is PR will become a state right when Hell starts serving Sno-Cones.

So should PR become the 51st state of the Union?

I like the idea, but it has been SEVEN years and Congress has not yet approved it.

Why?

Puerto Rico approves statehood

A slim majority of Puerto Ricans voted Tuesday to approve a nonbinding referendum that would make the island the 51st U.S. state. The measure requires final approval from Congress, so it means little for Puerto Rico right now. Still, nearly 54 percent of Puerto Ricans voted for a change in the U.S. commonwealth’s relationship with the United States —

US_flag_51_stars.svg_.png

The question setup was opposed by one of the parties representing the Island, as it didn't allow for a choice of a modified version of the current setup.

Congress will address the issue just as soon as they finish naming post offices and patting themselves on the back. My guess is PR will become a state right when Hell starts serving Sno-Cones.
No it will happen at least when Democrats regain control of Congress and the WH.

But I am thinking it will happen sooner than that, like around 2023.

The question setup was opposed by one of the parties representing the Island, as it didn't allow for a choice of a modified version of the current setup.
Why should it have included such a thing?

The question is do they want to be a state or independent.

Shit or get off the pot, in other words.

Why should it have included such a thing?

The question is do they want to be a state or independent.

Shit or get off the pot, in other words.

But it wasn't set up like that. It was 1) do you want current status Yes/No then 2) Statehood, Independence, or some Commonwealth type arrangement.

No it will happen at least when Democrats regain control of Congress and the WH.

If Democrats "think" that such a move "might" give them the slightest bit more chance at totalitarianism and total control, then it will happen the instant they can pull it off.

The USA be damned.

It won’t happen then either. At this point we don’t want to add more states b/c it will make the flag look funny. It’s time to shit or get off the pot when it comes to our territories and possessions.

It won’t happen then either. At this point we don’t want to add more states b/c it will make the flag look funny.
I put up a pic of the resulting US flag if PR becomes the 51st state.

I don't think it looks all that bad, just its not what I am used to seeing.

But it wasn't set up like that. It was 1) do you want current status Yes/No then 2) Statehood, Independence, or some Commonwealth type arrangement.
"Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens but cannot vote in presidential elections, and their commissioner in the House of Representatives holds limited power. According to the language on the ballot, the statehood referendum would give them “rights, benefits and responsibilities equal to those enjoyed by all other citizens of the states of the union.”"

That seems fairly clear to me.

"Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens but cannot vote in presidential elections, and their commissioner in the House of Representatives holds limited power. According to the language on the ballot, the statehood referendum would give them “rights, benefits and responsibilities equal to those enjoyed by all other citizens of the states of the union.”"

That seems fairly clear to me.

For Statehood, what it didn't do was offer a modification of the current situation, which one of the larger parties wanted.

For Statehood, what it didn't do was offer a modification of the current situation, which one of the larger parties wanted.
Do you have a link to the wording of the ballot?

I cant find it, my Google fu is weak today.

Forum List

Back