Publishers Clearing House Scam

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I just got the Publishers Clearing House Scam. Guy called me (No caller ID) and said I was a winner of their $700,000 prize and asked me if I got the notification in the mail. I played dumb and acted surprised and said no. He asked the last time I checked the mail. I told him yesterday, but maybe it came this morning so I'll go look. I told him to hold on and then put my phone on mute and went back to work. The guy sat on the phone for almost five minutes, asked a few times I was still here, before finally hanging up.

Then he called back (Jamaica phone number this time) and I told him it wasn't in that mailbox, but it might be in my other one. He asked how many mailboxes I have and I told him two, but I never check the other one. I told him to hold on and I'd be right back. Put the phone on mute again and he sat there again for another five minutes before hanging up.

LOL. Sometimes it's fun to just fuck with these people and waste their time instead of hanging up.

Got the same call several months ago. As soon as he started I checked the phone number, Jamaica number so I just set the phone down while I kept working and played that idiot for about 15 minutes. Then I asked him how the weather was in Jamaica, short pause then click.

I just got the Publishers Clearing House Scam. Guy called me (No caller ID) and said I was a winner of their $700,000 prize and asked me if I got the notification in the mail. I played dumb and acted surprised and said no. He asked the last time I checked the mail. I told him yesterday, but maybe it came this morning so I'll go look. I told him to hold on and then put my phone on mute and went back to work. The guy sat on the phone for almost five minutes, asked a few times I was still here, before finally hanging up.

Then he called back (Jamaica phone number this time) and I told him it wasn't in that mailbox, but it might be in my other one. He asked how many mailboxes I have and I told him two, but I never check the other one. I told him to hold on and I'd be right back. Put the phone on mute again and he sat there again for another five minutes before hanging up.

LOL. Sometimes it's fun to just fuck with these people and waste their time instead of hanging up.

I did the same thing, playing along with the guy that called me.

But I got junk mail from them for months.

Hated to waste all that wood pulp, and couldnt decide what to use it for as it is too harsh to use for TP.

Finally I decided to use it as tender once I finished my outdoor fire pit.

When I ran out, I went onto a Trump site and asked for more information on his campaign. Now i am awash in tinder material again.

IF these people would check their records, I give his campaign $50 every month anyway.

When they call me I tell them in a creepy voice that I can see them at their desk and that the building is about to be raided by the police.....I must of hit a nerve with one of them because he asked if I can see him what color shirt was he wearing...I said blue and he freaked out....I guess I guessed correctly......

Thing is, the scammer does not need to be successful with very many people to make scamming worthwhile (for himself).

When I was a kid, my parents got the "junk mail" from Publisher's Clearing House. I got really excited because on the envelope and paperwork it said "You are a Winner". To a young kid like me, it looked like my parents had won a million dollars. I was probably around 10 years old at the time.

I never answer the phone, and I use the generic 'Leave a message ...' thing that comes with the phone answering machine, so they have no idea if they're calling us or not. Most hang up, otheres I report because we're on the do not call list, but political and religious orgs are exempt form those laws, and if you donate to one you end up on the mailing and phone lists of several. Some spend so much on mailings we just quit giving to them, since they probably spend more on sending us multiple solicitation letters and 'free gifts' every frigging week than we donate to them, so we doubt much actually gts spent on charity or lobbying. The worst are the orphanage schools and that charity that claims to deliver food to elderly Jewish women in Russia and Ukraine. Hey, one envelope a year is fine, assholes.

Forum List

Back