Public Housing Units Getting Free Internet at Speeds Higher Than Most Homes

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
where the hell does this man (from some government Agency) get the power to do this with OUR MONEY? and then Democrats will swear they aren't in bed with BIG CORP. why should ANYONE go to work? seriously?
SNIP:

By Nicholas Ballasy February 3, 2016

AP_599596812489.sized-770x415xc.jpg

Google Fiber and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) have partnered to bring “ultra-high speed” 1 gigabit Internet to public housing units in many cities – a connection speed much faster than the average household in the United States.

West Bluff Townhomes in Kansas City, Mo., has become the first public housing development with a 1 gigabit or 1,000 mbps Internet connection through the ConnectHome Initiative. Google Fiber said the speed has been provided free of charge and at no cost to HUD.

According to the most recent State of the Internet
eport, the average U.S. Internet connection speed was 11.9 mbps.

Verizon Fios currently offers up to 500 mbps for a high monthly fee of $269.99 per month for residential Internet. Comcast offers a 2,000 mbps package for $299.99 per month. A Google Fiber 1,000 mbps speed costs $70 per month for those living in an area where the service is available. The service is currently limited with plans to expand to more states in the future.

HUD Secretary Julian Castro, who is on the list of likely Democratic vice presidential candidates and has been actively campaigning for Hillary Clinton, said the connection in the public housing units would be about 100 times faster than average connections in the U.S.

“In the coming months, we’ll bring this high-speed broadband to 1,300 public housing families in the Kansas City metro area,” he said.

HUD also announced that the gigabit speeds would eventually be available at HUD assisted and affordable housing in all fiber cities, including Atlanta, Durham, N.C., San Antonio and Nashville.

Castro said the high-speed connection would ultimately reach 200,000 children in 28 communities.

Dennis Kish, CEO of Google Fiber, said the public housing residents would not be charged any fees for the speed and would not have to sign a contract.

all of it here:

Last edited:
Wait a second, this is another rip off of the poor. No mention of free email accounts. Oh wait, hotmail, and yahoo.

Who pays for the demod?

Me thinks if fair that they get free and I get to pay for something 10 times slower. After all, all I did was work my ass off for my entire life. Really though, I can't see a need for Internet that fast.

I was talking to an insurance agent and he told me that he had to take classes in how to handle those getting free insurance. He was told he had to be nice to them because they are used to getting stuff free. Would be a shame to shame those who made nothing of themselves.

Why don't you read your own OP dumb ass? It's not our money.
"Google Fiber said the speed has been provided free of charge and at no cost to HUD."

If they have any brains they'll set up live titty shows and make some moniez.

But hey if google wants to wire people up, more power to em.

where the hell does this man (from some government Agency) get the power to do this with OUR MONEY? and then Democrats will swear they aren't in bed with BIG CORP. why should ANYONE go to work? seriously?
SNIP:

By Nicholas Ballasy February 3, 2016

AP_599596812489.sized-770x415xc.jpg

Google Fiber and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) have partnered to bring “ultra-high speed” 1 gigabit Internet to public housing units in many cities – a connection speed much faster than the average household in the United States.

West Bluff Townhomes in Kansas City, Mo., has become the first public housing development with a 1 gigabit or 1,000 mbps Internet connection through the ConnectHome Initiative. Google Fiber said the speed has been provided free of charge and at no cost to HUD.

According to the most recent State of the Internet
eport, the average U.S. Internet connection speed was 11.9 mbps.

Verizon Fios currently offers up to 500 mbps for a high monthly fee of $269.99 per month for residential Internet. Comcast offers a 2,000 mbps package for $299.99 per month. A Google Fiber 1,000 mbps speed costs $70 per month for those living in an area where the service is available. The service is currently limited with plans to expand to more states in the future.

HUD Secretary Julian Castro, who is on the list of likely Democratic vice presidential candidates and has been actively campaigning for Hillary Clinton, said the connection in the public housing units would be about 100 times faster than average connections in the U.S.

“In the coming months, we’ll bring this high-speed broadband to 1,300 public housing families in the Kansas City metro area,” he said.

HUD also announced that the gigabit speeds would eventually be available at HUD assisted and affordable housing in all fiber cities, including Atlanta, Durham, N.C., San Antonio and Nashville.

Castro said the high-speed connection would ultimately reach 200,000 children in 28 communities.

Dennis Kish, CEO of Google Fiber, said the public housing residents would not be charged any fees for the speed and would not have to sign a contract.

all of it here:
Ah so you get free internet Steph? Nice!

Sounds like a win-win. Faster speeds provided by Google at no cost to the government.

The only thing current about this event is that Stephanie and PJMedia just found out that Julian Castro is on a shortlist to be Vice-President should Clinton get the nod. Too funny.

Besides, Clinton/Castro 2016!? The jokes practically write themselves.:lol:

Oh good, now they can post those videos where they attack white people, that much faster.

Free home.
Free food stamps.
Free welfare check.
Free Obama phone.
Free school.

Wow. With that setup.....those folks will be back on the path to working full time and independence very quickly. No wonder black folks are doing so much better under Obama.

I don't think the story is what Google is doing here. I think the real story is how badly the rest of us are getting screwed.

... I'm paying almost $200 a month and not getting 1gig :/ (Yet, I will as soon as they get it installed in my area.)

I take that back, just did a speed test and they apparently got my neighborhood to 1g \o/

Forum List

Back