Public can lay flowers on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for the first time in 100 years

That is absolutely awesome.

Arlington National Cemetery is one of those places I think every American should visit...

Nah..........no need to worry about how this ends...........lol

Given the state of this country.

Thanks to DNA research there are no "Unknown Soldiers" left and the Tomb is just a symbol and the flower thing seems kind of weird. Arlington is a sad and awesome resting place for hundreds of thousands of identified fallen heroes but there are no flowers.

Yes, there is. There are still 4 remains there. One from WWI, two from WWII, and one from Korea. The only one removed was from Vietnam.
You are partially correct. There is only one WWII unknown.

'Two Unknowns from World War II, one from the European Theater and one from the Pacific Theater, were placed in identical caskets and taken aboard USS Canberra, a guided-missile cruiser resting off the Virginia Capes, and placed on either side of the Korean unknown. Navy Hospital Corpsman 1st Class William R. Charette, then the U.S. Navy's only active-duty Medal of Honor recipient who was an enlisted man, selected the right-hand casket as the World War II Unknown. The casket of the remaining WWII unknown received a solemn burial at sea."

My son served with the Old Guard from 2007-2010 on the burial detail at Arlington for six months and then was selected for the US Army Drill Team.

You are partially correct. There is only one WWII unknown.

'Two Unknowns from World War II, one from the European Theater and one from the Pacific Theater, were placed in identical caskets and taken aboard USS Canberra, a guided-missile cruiser resting off the Virginia Capes, and placed on either side of the Korean unknown. Navy Hospital Corpsman 1st Class William R. Charette, then the U.S. Navy's only active-duty Medal of Honor recipient who was an enlisted man, selected the right-hand casket as the World War II Unknown. The casket of the remaining WWII unknown received a solemn burial at sea."

My son served with the Old Guard from 2007-2010 on the burial detail at Arlington for six months and then was selected for the US Army Drill Team.
I had occasion to spend a couple of days at Ft. Myer and visit the Arlington burial Old Guard stables about that time. My wife's sister is a retired Army Col. and we stayed on the base and had a pretty much private tour of the stables. I was impressed by the professionalism and knowledge of the Old Guard Troops and the care they gave to the horses and gear. I recall that one veteran horse was partially blind and still served in the funerals.

I had occasion to spend a couple of days at Ft. Myer and visit the Arlington burial Old Guard stables about that time. My wife's sister is a retired Army Col. and we stayed on the base and had a pretty much private tour of the stables. I was impressed by the professionalism and knowledge of the Old Guard Troops and the care they gave to the horses and gear. I recall that one veteran horse was partially blind and still served in the funerals.

My son served in the Old Guard for his first 4 years in the Army, first on the burial detail at Arlington and then on the US Army Drill Team. They are the best!

Forum List

Back