Pros and Cons of Electric Vehicles

It's really no more difficult than running a connection for an electric range, dryer or AC unit. Just a basic 40 amp 220 volt line
Except of course, that will exceed a homes amperage, which will require pulling a permit, and having an electrician come in and evaluate if you need a new electrical service.

You could do it on 200 amp service but that would be a bit dangerous if you have a dryer, air conditioner, and electric stove.

400 amp would be safest. And as we know, most homes or people use two cars, hence you are talking at least 80 amps (start up power) just for your cars.

There really is nothing basic about a 40 amp 220 volt line, you must have an electrician that will pull a permit.

They are expensive (initial cost not upkeep) and cannot do the travel I need to do. That is the case for most people. My daily driving can be done with one but when I want to go cross country - something I do every year - they are simply not practical. When the infrastructure for chargers gets there and battery tech allows for that I will adopt in a heart beat.

The idea that 'bigotry' is holding them back is asinine. For every person that rejects an electric car for asinine reasons there are a hundred others just like me that would buy one if it were practical.
How about buying an electric airplane?

You have to understand, this is going to be shoved down your throat. You have no real choices here and the GOP won't save you. In a very short time, you will have no choice but to own an electric vehicle.

In the interim, until we get there, anyone who opposes this will be labeled a bigot. It's just what the Left does. They have no real functioning brain to try any other approach.

Just remember, you will soon have a car with the reliability of a battery that is akin to your cell phone.

LOL.

May the Left roast in eternal flame
And the alternative is what ? Breath sht ? Electric cars will rule, not just because they are mandated, but because they are infinitely better.

They are expensive (initial cost not upkeep) and cannot do the travel I need to do. That is the case for most people. My daily driving can be done with one but when I want to go cross country - something I do every year - they are simply not practical. When the infrastructure for chargers gets there and battery tech allows for that I will adopt in a heart beat.

The idea that 'bigotry' is holding them back is asinine. For every person that rejects an electric car for asinine reasons there are a hundred others just like me that would buy one if it were practical.
Let’s get real. how many times do you drive more then 200 miles per day ?

Time for a reminder ...

Cars Are Going Electric. What Happens to the Used Batteries?​

Used electric vehicle batteries could be the Achilles' heel of the transportation revolution—or the gold mine that makes it real.
This summer, Dirk Spiers, a tall, rumpled Dutchman-turned-Oklahoman, got a heads-up from General Motors about more problems with the Chevrolet Bolt. Over the previous year, the car model that had once been celebrated as GM’s grand victory over Tesla—the United States’ first truly mass-market electric vehicle—had begun to look more like a slow-motion disaster. Bolts were being recalled because of a series of rare but destructive fires sparked when drivers left their cars charging overnight. GM had traced the problem to flaws in the lithium-ion battery cells manufactured by South Korea’s LG Chem.

Now the automaker was expanding the recall to all 141,000 Bolts sold worldwide since 2017. Fixing them would be a massive operation. Unlike the toaster-oven-sized lead-acid batteries inside most gas-powered vehicles, the lithium-ion battery pack inside the Bolt runs the full wheelbase of the car and weighs 960 pounds. It contains hundreds of battery cells that are delicate and finicky. When taken apart for repairs, they can be dangerous, and incorrect handling can lead to noxious fumes and fires.
When batteries can’t be fixed or reused, the company recycles some at its onsite facility. It also stores batteries. Lots of them. SNT’s main warehouse in Oklahoma City holds hundreds of electric car batteries, stacked on shelves that jut 30 feet into the air. With the Bolt recall, GM will send SNT many more.

Those batteries, and millions more like them that will eventually come off the road, are a challenge for the world’s electrified future. Automakers are pouring billions into electrification with the promise that this generation of cars will be cleaner than their gas-powered predecessors. By the end of the decade, the International Energy Agency estimates there will be between 148 million and 230 million battery-powered vehicles on the road worldwide, accounting for up to 12 percent of the global automotive fleet.

The last thing anyone wants is for those batteries to become waste. Lithium-ion batteries, like other electronics, are toxic, and can cause destructive fires that spread quickly—a danger that runs especially high when they are stored together. A recent EPA report found that lithium-ion batteries caused at least 65 fires at municipal waste facilities last year, though most were ignited by smaller batteries, like those made for cell phones and laptops. In SNT’s warehouse, bright red emergency water lines snake across the ceilings, a safeguard against calamity.

Time for a reminder ...

Used electric vehicle batteries could be the Achilles' heel of the transportation revolution—or the gold mine that makes it real.
This summer, Dirk Spiers, a tall, rumpled Dutchman-turned-Oklahoman, got a heads-up from General Motors about more problems with the Chevrolet Bolt. Over the previous year, the car model that had once been celebrated as GM’s grand victory over Tesla—the United States’ first truly mass-market electric vehicle—had begun to look more like a slow-motion disaster. Bolts were being recalled because of a series of rare but destructive fires sparked when drivers left their cars charging overnight. GM had traced the problem to flaws in the lithium-ion battery cells manufactured by South Korea’s LG Chem.

Now the automaker was expanding the recall to all 141,000 Bolts sold worldwide since 2017. Fixing them would be a massive operation. Unlike the toaster-oven-sized lead-acid batteries inside most gas-powered vehicles, the lithium-ion battery pack inside the Bolt runs the full wheelbase of the car and weighs 960 pounds. It contains hundreds of battery cells that are delicate and finicky. When taken apart for repairs, they can be dangerous, and incorrect handling can lead to noxious fumes and fires.
When batteries can’t be fixed or reused, the company recycles some at its onsite facility. It also stores batteries. Lots of them. SNT’s main warehouse in Oklahoma City holds hundreds of electric car batteries, stacked on shelves that jut 30 feet into the air. With the Bolt recall, GM will send SNT many more.

Those batteries, and millions more like them that will eventually come off the road, are a challenge for the world’s electrified future. Automakers are pouring billions into electrification with the promise that this generation of cars will be cleaner than their gas-powered predecessors. By the end of the decade, the International Energy Agency estimates there will be between 148 million and 230 million battery-powered vehicles on the road worldwide, accounting for up to 12 percent of the global automotive fleet.

The last thing anyone wants is for those batteries to become waste. Lithium-ion batteries, like other electronics, are toxic, and can cause destructive fires that spread quickly—a danger that runs especially high when they are stored together. A recent EPA report found that lithium-ion batteries caused at least 65 fires at municipal waste facilities last year, though most were ignited by smaller batteries, like those made for cell phones and laptops. In SNT’s warehouse, bright red emergency water lines snake across the ceilings, a safeguard against calamity.
Batteries are recyclable

Batteries are recyclable
At high costs both financially and environmentally, assuming one is taking out the finance to start up. Also there is a finite amount of lithium on this planet and "mining" it appears to have a high cost in health impact to the "child labor" used.

See my sig line here and note this applies double to environmental "solutions" which usually "aren't"(solutions) and cost more.

Also, as pointed out, short range of EVs can be a deal breaker to those of us whom road trip more than a couple hundred miles and especially to the trucking industry where to be cost effective those rigs need to do several hundred miles at a shot/in a day.

Time for a reminder ...

“Batteries can be recycled, but recycling them is not easy due to the sophisticated chemical procedures involved. If not handled properly, the heavy metal contained in the battery can lead to contamination of the soil and water.

Batteries can be recycled through smelting, direct recovery, and other, newer processes. A smelting process is used to recover many minerals (e.g. lithium, cobalt, nickel) contained in the battery. After a battery is smelted, the lithium ends up as a mixed byproduct and extracting it is costly. While the cost of fully recycling a lithium-ion battery is about €1 per kilogram, the value of the raw minerals reclaimed from the process is only about a third of that.Another way to look at the cost of extraction of lithium from old batteries is that it is 5 times more expensive than mined

A problem. Since this information is out in multiple public formats (potential investors being a top concern, always), will it matter to the profiteers?

I think as a daily driver an EV is a good choice. Most people drive well under 100 miles a day so there is no need to charge anywhere but at home.
Nearly a third of motorists in the UK can't charge an EV at home

Electric cars: What if you live in a flat?

Had an interesting conversation with a guy that does the alterations to the supply wire when an electric meter has to move location. Out of big cities, housing estates are on smaller cables and thus can be upgraded. He said the problem is going to be in large cities where they'll already on large cables for current demand but won't handle the EV revolution.

Nothing like putting the cart Infront of the horse, lol

Nearly a third of motorists in the UK can't charge an EV at home

Electric cars: What if you live in a flat?

Had an interesting conversation with a guy that does the alterations to the supply wire when an electric meter has to move location. Out of big cities, housing estates are on smaller cables and thus can be upgraded. He said the problem is going to be in large cities where they'll already on large cables for current demand but won't handle the EV revolution.

Nothing like putting the cart Infront of the horse, lol
I don't live in the UK do you?

Don't know don't care.

I don't live in a city anymore and never will again
Well, as you jump on to this social bandwagon of EV's (Pseudo Moralistic Stances), at least look at the whole picture, then you might realise why EV's are not proving popular as they should.

Well, as you jump on to this social bandwagon of EV's (Pseudo Moralistic Stances), at least look at the whole picture, then you might realise why EV's are not proving popular as they should.
Not jumping on any band wagons.

I am taking a reasoned approach that has nothing to do with morality.

If you live in a congested city you really don't even need a car on a daily basis.

If like most people you drive to work every day and your round trip is less than 80 miles then an EV makes sense. You are generally charging it at night when demand for electricity is the lowest.

Like i said EVs definitely have a place in the mix and IMO the daily driver is the best use.

New Topics

Forum List

Back