Props to the NFL officials

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Heading into this season there was a lot of talk about cracking down on hits to defenseless receivers. Many people, including me, had concerns about it hamstringing defenses too much and making pass coverage almost impossible. But in watching this weekend's games, my concerns have been largely assuaged by what I saw. Yes, they are calling those hits much more strictly, but it appears that to offset the overall impact they are letting a lot more 'incidental' contact go unpenalized. I saw at least a half-dozen plays where the defensive back would've been flagged for illegal contact or pass interference last year that were let go.

If this was by design, then I have to give props to the NFL officials.

Noticed that too, fewer defensive holding ,PI and illegal contact penalties, at least through the 1st week.

• Banned
Noticed that too, fewer defensive holding ,PI and illegal contact penalties, at least through the 1st week.

I thinks it's a pretty damn reasonable trade-off.

D-backs can't tee-off on receivers like they used to, but they're allowed more contact in the bump and run.

D-backs can't tee-off on receivers like they used to, but they're allowed more contact in the bump and run.

Yep, i'd like to see the 5 yard chuck rule thrown back out altogether......

• Banned

Yep, i'd like to see the 5 yard chuck rule thrown back out altogether......

here here :beer:

I'd like to see the old rule too, where you could chuck him all the way down the field until the ball is released

You didn't have as many prima donna receivers when defenders were allowed to actually defend against the pass

Here in Eagles territory we're not real worried about these rules either way because opposing team pass completions are a thing of the past these days :D

Forum List

Back