Property Rights and Racism

Should a black restaurant owner be allowed to refuse to serve a member of the KKK?

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
[youtube]oknvBclbZMI[/youtube]

So here's the question: Should a black restaurant owner be allowed to refuse to serve a member of the KKK?

RefuseServiceSign.jpg

I think a private business owner should be able to run his business the way s/he sees fit. If people do not like it, they will not purchase the goods/services offered by that business and the business will fail.

Are there exceptions to this here and there? Sure. I expect restaurants to have health and safety checks. Why? Because the patrons are not generally permitted to go back to the kitchen and watch their food being prepared...so an outside agency protects people.

But as far as allowing smoking, drinking, and whether or not a black business owner wants to serve members of the KKK? That should be up to the business owner.

If the black business owner happened to built his bar in the middle of a town mainly populated by white power freakazoids...he'll probably lose business...but if he is anywhere normal, he'll probably gain business with that policy.

Unless they come in wearing their attire of white sheets, how does a restaurant owner know they are KKK?

Maybe they're a known member of the KKK, maybe they announce that they're a member of the KKK, or maybe they are wearing their nightgown. Should the black restaurant owner be allowed to refuse service?

Is the KKK a race, Kevin?

What does that matter? The restaurant is open to the public right? So all of the public should be allowed to eat there, including the KKK if we follow the logic that we've seen from you over the past few days.

What does that matter? The restaurant is open to the public right? So all of the public should be allowed to eat there, including the KKK if we follow the logic that we've seen from you over the past few days.

The KKK Members affiliation is not protected under the Constitution. Neither is a Black Panthers affiliation. Both can legally be refused service.

It matters a great deal if you understand the Civil Rights Act.

So discrimination based on race, sex, disability is out in your opinion, but discrimination based on affiliation is ok? So a Republican restaurant owner could refuse to serve a Democrat? Say President Obama goes into a restaurant owned by a Republican, could they refuse to serve him?

If they are died-in-the-wool KKK members would they patronize said business?

In this scenario they do.
If the KKK member has no problem with going in to the business, why should the owners have a problem with them?

While, yes, we have a "civil right" to not be discriminated against in the workplace or housing we don't have the luxury of the right to not be discriminated against *Ever*.

Speaking of housing; If we're supposed to follow the Fair Housing Act, what's the difference in purchasing a house or any other commodity?

I guess I'm questioning my own logic.
While the store owner has the right to be racist and the KKK member has the right to be racist, why can't a landlord or real estate agent have the right to be racist?

If they are died-in-the-wool KKK members would they patronize said business?

In this scenario they do.
If the KKK member has no problem with going in to the business, why should the owners have a problem with them?

While, yes, we have a "civil right" to not be discriminated against in the workplace or housing we don't have the luxury of the right to not be discriminated against *Ever*.

Speaking of housing; If we're supposed to follow the Fair Housing Act, what's the difference in purchasing a house or any other commodity?

I guess I'm questioning my own logic.
While the store owner has the right to be racist and the KKK member has the right to be racist, why can't a landlord or real estate agent have the right to be racist?

Everyone has the right to be racist, if those are their views. The question is whether there is a right to discriminate based on race on your own property.

So discrimination based on race, sex, disability is out in your opinion, but discrimination based on affiliation is ok? So a Republican restaurant owner could refuse to serve a Democrat? Say President Obama goes into a restaurant owned by a Republican, could they refuse to serve him?
I have not given you an answer, so don't presume.

The question is too vague...is the KKK member, who is a KNOWN organization that has literally KILLED black people - walks into a black owned restaurant, is he being disruptive?

Is he going in, sitting down and simply having a meal? Is he wearing a sign saying KKK?
You even mentioned "going in with their nightgown." Do they take off their White Sheet nightgown mask to eat, or do they just stuff it through the mouth hole?

Every time you choose ketchup over mustard or vice versa, you make a discriminatory choice. The question is can you live with the choices you make? For some the question is are You capable of making any choice at all, ever?

Your Ice Cream Parlor is invaded unwashed Bikers during a Adolescent Girls Soccer Championship celebration? Do you pee standing up or sitting down??? What does it take for you to step up to the plate. My hypothetical establishment, Someone would have to do or say something offensive, before I put my foot down. A Klansman, Black Panther, Biker, would be asked to remove offensive articles of clothing if they wanted service. You upset the regular clients, we have a problem. Ambiance, get it. Good.

Legally yes. A republican could refuse to serve a democrat.

Political affiliation is not a protected class.

Is really IS about the language in Title II. You need to read it Kevin.

Forum List

Back