Proper forms of addressing politicians

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Been wondering for some time if referring to Sarah Palin as Governor Palin was proper, since she quit mid-term like.

"How to Address a Former Governor in Conversation?
I read a story recently which said that the organizers of former Alaska governor Sarah Palin’s book tour have asked the public to address her as Governor Palin at her book signings. Is that proper?
-- William Perry

Dear Mr. Perry:
It's not correct. Officially she is addresses as Ms./Mrs. Palin.
She is not correctly addressed as Mayor Palin either, because Wasilla has a new mayor, and she is not addressed as Governor Palin because Alaska has a new governor.
Here is the tradition behind this: Jobs of which there is only one officer holder at a time ... Governor of a state Mayor of city, President Vice President of the US, Speaker of the House of Representatives .... do not continue to be directly addressed in writing or conversation by their former "office" because it is not respectful to the current office holder and confusing to those in the (organization/state/whatever) as to who is currently in charge.
Jobs of which many hold the same office/rank at the same time DO continue to be addressed by their former honorific ... Senator, Judge, Captain, Admiral, General, Professor .... after leaving their position.
Having worked with many 'formers' I find that they know their correct honorific. But the handlers may not know what's correct -or- encourage the reference to their boss's former position to curry favors -- which I suspect is the case here.
-- Robert Hickey"

How to Address a Former Govenor?

When a current or former politician or judge or what ever addresses me by my job title I'll consider addressing them by theirs. They too easily forget they work for us and in my book the boss determines what you call someone.

As an aside, a related subject of manners. Many have likely heard of George Washington's Rules of Civility?Though VERY dated stuff, here it is. :)

George Washington's Rules of Civility : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site

"29th When you meet with one of Greater Quality than yourself, Stop, and retire especially if it be at a Door or any Straight place to give way for him to Pass."

Reminds me of the flashback scene in Terminator 2 when John Connor walks by and the soldiers, even the injured ones stand aside and salute. :)

Forum List

Back