Propane Shortage Emergency

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
So, why are propane costs skyrocketing so suddenly?

The answer lies in supply and demand, and in logistics and infrastructure.

And Wisconsin isn’t the only state facing high prices and short supply — the problem is nationwide.

With propane costs three times higher than at the start of the season, this is more than a crisis.

“This is an absolute emergency, a catastrophe almost at this point,” said Jon Crawford of Crawford Oil and Propane in Portage, which services four counties, including Columbia and Marquette.

“It’s absolutely terrible. When the price goes three times as high, nobody plans for that,” said Bob Carlson, CEO of Landmark Services Cooperative, which serves 12,000 customers in Rio and Cambria and across southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois.

With no relief in sight yet for the below-zero temperatures and even-lower wind chills, a crisis is growing: not only is propane becoming in short supply, but prices are rising almost hourly.

The price increase is the equivalent of diesel fuel costing $12 to $15 per gallon, said Crawford: where homeowners would pay about $1,500 per season to heat their home with propane, they are now paying that amount per month.

No one knows yet how high the costs will go.

Propane shortage has become 'an absolute emergency' : Portage Daily Register

The feds have suspended the normal truck driver driving-time limitations for those hauling propane, being that so much has to be moved from south to north now.

Last edited:
I used to lock in a contract each Spring. Sometimes I came out ahead sometimes I got burnt. Then I went to equalizer plan same payment each month.

Sent from my ass using USMessageBoard.com

There's no shortage. If you have 24 eggs but only 1 egg carton you might claim there's a shortage but it's only because of limited quantity enclosures just as with finite, dwindling natgas in certain markets yet to be replenished. There's several times more natgas in the world than oil. So unless we're out of oil too, any claim we're running out of natgas (and derivitive products like propane) is utter nonsense.

Forum List

Back