prominent FL family were in plane that flew over DC no fly zone & crashed

There are still a lot of questions.

Why did the pilot start to go the destination point, then turn around?

Maybe he didn't have enough fuel.. Maybe he knew that and didn't care..?

weird story

kind of weird how, for a long time after this story first broke, cnn didn't cover it... tht I could see. ,.but then, they don't cover a lot of important stories (corruption of dimrats, etc).

Since these people on the plane were NRA involved... makes u wonder...

How could CNN have known that the people on the plane were NRA involved? Or who they were at all while it was happening?

Even for a conspiracy, that's pretty weak tea.

How could CNN have known that the people on the plane were NRA involved? Or who they were at all while it was happening?

Even for a conspiracy, that's pretty weak tea.

Easy. There are things called tail numbers and other things called flight plans and manifests. Every flight in the U.S. has to file one (with the possible exception of secret military flights). The pilots who intercepted the aircraft when it went into restricted airspace would have called out the tail numbers on the aircraft, that would have been checked with flight plans filed with that aircraft, which would have said who was onboard.

Once you have the names of the people onboard, all you have to do is look them up and see who they were and whatever prominent affiliations they had listed with their information.

Hell, look someone up on a readily available medium like Facebook, and you will find out a great deal about them as people have a tendency to list a LOT of information about themselves on their profile. And, that's without using the databases and other information that news agencies routinely have access to.

Once an aircraft goes into restricted airspace, you can bet your ass that there will be a great deal about that aircraft, as well as the people onboard it known in a very short time.

Easy. There are things called tail numbers and other things called flight plans and manifests. Every flight in the U.S. has to file one (with the possible exception of secret military flights). The pilots who intercepted the aircraft when it went into restricted airspace would have called out the tail numbers on the aircraft, that would have been checked with flight plans filed with that aircraft, which would have said who was onboard.

Yeah, but who other than those F-16 pilots had the tail numbers during the event in question? The intercept and Washington airspace cross were at 34,000 feet.

AFTER the event, sure. The media would eventually get that info. But during? At 34,000 feet?

No news agency was reporting tail numbers during the event because no one knew them yet. Nor could know them yet.

The identity of those involved weren't publicly known until John Rumpel reached out to the press long after the crash. Even John didn't know until the FAA called him an hour after the crash.

How would CNN know *during* the event?

The whole conspiracy premise of the OP is silly.

Last edited:
this is what I could never understand about plane crashes.. (some of them)

As soon as the passengers see the plane is going down.. why don't they jump when the plane gets close to the ground?

if that sounds like a dumb question, please remember I don't know anything about planes.. don't like them.. never been in one..

and if there indeed was depressurization... then never mind...

that explains why they didn't jump
Bill Cosby used that rationale as part of his comedy act. He was talking about jumping at the last moment in a falling elevator.

this is what I could never understand about plane crashes.. (some of them)

As soon as the passengers see the plane is going down.. why don't they jump when the plane gets close to the ground?

if that sounds like a dumb question, please remember I don't know anything about planes.. don't like them.. never been in one..

and if there indeed was depressurization... then never mind...

that explains why they didn't jump

Yeah, but who other than those F-16 pilots had the tail numbers during the event in question? The intercept and Washington airspace cross were at 34,000 feet.

AFTER the event, sure. The media would eventually get that info. But during? At 34,000 feet?

No news agency was reporting tail numbers during the event because no one knew them yet. Nor could know them yet.

The identity of those involved weren't publicly known until John Rumpel reached out to the press long after the crash. Even John didn't know until the FAA called him an hour after the crash.

How would CNN know *during* the event?

The whole conspiracy premise of the OP is silly.

"Who other than those F-16 pilots had the tail numbers"? Really? Guess you never heard of this new invention called "radio", which aircraft routinely use to stay in contact with air traffic controllers and others on the ground. Once the pilots saw the aircraft, they would have used their new invention called the "radio" to tell the people on the ground who were monitoring them what they saw and the tail numbers of the plane.

Pilots converse regularly with ground stations and air traffic control when they are in the air, unless they are on combat missions that require radio silence.

Bill Cosby used that rationale as part of his comedy act. He was talking about jumping at the last moment in a falling elevator.

Watch the Mythbusters episode "Elevator of Death" to see how well that WON'T work out.

But, it's an idea that sounds rational at first if you don't understand physics and how motion affects mass.

"Who other than those F-16 pilots had the tail numbers"? Really? Guess you never heard of this new invention called "radio", which aircraft routinely use to stay in contact with air traffic controllers and others on the ground. Once the pilots saw the aircraft, they would have used their new invention called the "radio" to tell the people on the ground who were monitoring them what they saw and the tail numbers of the plane.

Military planes responding to an airspace violation of the D.C. ADIZ are going to be responding on an OPEN channel, that can be monitored by the press in real time?

Laughing.....no.

There's no plausible way that CNN, ABC, FOX or any of the major networks could have had that tail number sign information during the event.

Thus, no way they could have chosen to cover or not cover based on the occupants of the plane whose identity they couldn't have known.

The entire premise of the OP is nonsense.
Pilots converse regularly with ground stations and air traffic control when they are in the air, unless they are on combat missions that require radio silence.

Not during ADIZ violations so severe that broke the sound barrier over residential neighborhoods they don't.

There are still a lot of questions.

Why did the pilot start to go the destination point, then turn around?

Maybe he didn't have enough fuel.. Maybe he knew that and didn't care..?

weird story

kind of weird how, for a long time after this story first broke, cnn didn't cover it... tht I could see. ,.but then, they don't cover a lot of important stories (corruption of dimrats, etc).

Since these people on the plane were NRA involved... makes u wonder...
I watched a report on this. Apparently the pilot had turned on the autopilot, which took the plane to it's intended destination but that autopilot does not land the plane. When the autopilot realized that the pilot had not descended to land, it assumed the pilot wanted to return to it's original destination and turned the plane around to head back and the plane then ran out of fuel on the way back. Still a lot of questions. I'm guessing there was either a pressurization problem or something happened to incapacitate everyone on board because it seems during all that time that another person on board could have figured out how to use the radio if they were conscious.

There are reports that they might have suffered from lack of oxygen due to high altitude and the plane becoming decompressed.

As far as CNN reporting it? They reported it pretty much as soon as it happened. Saw a report on the 'net about fighter jets being scrambled, and went to CNN to find out why, which is where I got the full story.

Pilot was unresponsive, so fearing another possible aircraft attack, fighter jets were scrambled and freaked out everyone in DC when they heard the sonic booms. Fighter jets were unable to contact the aircraft and followed it until it crashed.
Planes that fly that high carry oxygen on board so there may have been something wrong with that system.

interesting..

i didn't know autopilot could actually turn the plane around.. thought it just kept going straight ahead..

but... modern tech.. What would I know about that?

I had been wondering why the plane did a U turn.. thought the pilot did that... thanks for the info
Autopilots can do any number of things depending on the type you have. Most you can input your destination and cruising altitude and it can turn the plane to that heading and altitude you want and keep the plane on course (believe it or not, the Earth is round). There are autopilots on certain larger aircraft that can actually land the plane by itself, although I don't believe they use that feature very much if it has it.

You've got about 5 seconds with rapid depressurization.
Yeah, even with an oxygen mask to put on, at that altitude you would rapidly freeze to death before descending low enough. But, it seems like the pilot didn't even have enough time to turn the autopilot off to descend due to a pressurization issue.

Forum List

Back