Professors point out problem with affirmative action, quickly get pounced on by liberals

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
They have valid points, but it's politically incorrect to criticize affirmative action and that means they must be punished for daring to speak out. It hasn't been determined whether there will be disciplinary action against these professors for explaining a problem with affirmative action that tends to set some students up for failure because admittance is based on color over merit. That conversation is forbidden.

"Professor Dennis Miehls and various other "concerned adjuncts" wrote two letters to the administration at Smith College in Northampton, Mass., questioning the presence of affirmative action in the admission process for the school's social work program, only to gind themselves now being labeled white supremacists and racists by students in the program.

The letters stated that the admission process for the social work program was "tainted" because the administrators "continue to offer differential outcomes to students of color, in spite of overwhelming data that demonstrates that many of [their] students, including white-identified students, cannot offer clients a social work intervention that is based upon competence, skills and ethics."

"What many people are thinking but afraid to say is that when students are admitted who do not have the academic qualifications to do well enough in a rigorous, demanding, stressful program (as has clearly happened with the current second-year class), these students are being set up for failure, particularly when we do not provide adequate support of all types as they pass through the program. This is unethical and immoral."

While these letters were meant to stay private, one student, who remains unidentified, managed to leak the two letters to the campus community. He or she felt it was "critical to share these letters… in order to facilitate transparency and accountability around the violent, racist rhetoric directed toward students of color on the Smith campus."

And now Smith College students are angry, of course.

According to the New Hampshire Gazette, some 250 students gathered on Tuesday to protest against the "rhetoric" of these professors and the college’s alleged failure of putting an end to racial bias.

One student, Christopher Watkins, allegedly stated during the event that a "disproportionate amount of Black and Latino students are under review."

Smith College Dean Marianne Yoshioka didn’t indicate in her statement to Inside Higher Ed whether or not there will be disciplinary actions taken against any of the professors.

Marianne Yoshioka: The Smith College School for Social Work is one of the most selective social work programs in the country. Our standards are exceptionally high for those we admit, and we take pride in each of our highly intelligent, capable and compassionate students, particularly throughout the recent campus involvement they have encouraged. For the past year, prompted by these students, we as a community have been engaged in important, productive and collaborative work to continually evolve as an antiracism organization.… We are clinical professionals specifically committed to social justice and systemic change."

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/

Like any federal program affirmative action is corrupted by corrupt people. It really does not help women or minorities in contracting other than a few that connect to a larger company that merely needs to use the minority in name to get contracts.

Like any federal program affirmative action is corrupted by corrupt people. It really does not help women or minorities in contracting other than a few that connect to a larger company that merely needs to use the minority in name to get contracts.

Yup, they need to fill quotas so the government will play nice. And the minorities are given opportunities even when they aren't prepared. You can't go from a crappy inner city school where you are barely getting by and then given a college scholarship and expected to pass with flying colors. They are setting them up for failure instead of improving the schools in their neighborhoods. Of course, even if you do that, kids coming from dysfunctional households with no positive role models aren't prepared to compete in the real world. Billions are poured into education, yet most goes to shore up public unions and nothing changes for the students. Then they try to make up for it by artificially elevating the young people and wonder why they fail.

Uhhh ,, start from here .. the biggest beneficiaries of Affirmative Action are white women .. who like many who benefit from the program, have improved their lives because of it.

Additionally, " some 250 students gathered on Tuesday to protest against the "rhetoric" of these professors and the college’s alleged failure of putting an end to racial bias."

A seemingly peaceful protest .. and you think there's something wrong with that. :0) Small wonder why the Right has lost virtually every social issue they care about .. just as they've lost this issue.

Two professors :0) There are hundreds of professors all over the country that speak to the demonstrated benefits of the program.

Here's were it really gets gloomy for your side .. republicans can't win national elections anymore. If you can't win the White House, you can't appoint to the Supreme Court .. and if you don't control the Senate, you can't control who gets seated on the Court. Clinton will win, and she will vigorously defend Affirmative Action .. and, she may appoint Obama to the Supreme Court. The Right will lose the Senate and there will be nothing they can do about either.

If there are failures in the outcomes of any particular institution, then address the failures of the institution, just as would happen in any academic review. If there are many other institutions achieving success with AA students .. and there are .. then address why THAT institution isn't having the same success.

Uhhh ,, start from here .. the biggest beneficiaries of Affirmative Action are white women .. who like many who benefit from the program, have improved their lives because of it.

Additionally, " some 250 students gathered on Tuesday to protest against the "rhetoric" of these professors and the college’s alleged failure of putting an end to racial bias."

A seemingly peaceful protest .. and you think there's something wrong with that. :0) Small wonder why the Right has lost virtually every social issue they care about .. just as they've lost this issue.

Two professors :0) There are hundreds of professors all over the country that speak to the demonstrated benefits of the program.

Here's were it really gets gloomy for your side .. republicans can't win national elections anymore. If you can't win the White House, you can't appoint to the Supreme Court .. and if you don't control the Senate, you can't control who gets seated on the Court. Clinton will win, and she will vigorously defend Affirmative Action .. and, she may appoint Obama to the Supreme Court. The Right will lose the Senate and there will be nothing they can do about either.

If there are failures in the outcomes of any particular institution, then address the failures of the institution, just as would happen in any academic review. If there are many other institutions achieving success with AA students .. and there are .. then address why THAT institution isn't having the same success.
I have never used affirmative action programs and by the standards of most I was very successful in a contracting business. I did not even know what it was until I bid a contract in another state and they required a written affirmative action program in the bid package. I had to laugh at that as I learned what it was. We already hired people regardless of their ethnic background, sex and religion. We had always hired whoever was going to be able to get the job done. The only problem that I could not overcome was a crooked bank, crooked insurance companies, a manufacturer that purposely designed equipment to fail and crooked lawyers and judges that helped those crooks cover up their crimes. An equal opportunity, attorneys with integrity, states made to toe the line in legal matters instead of covering up crimes for money and making the people in those positions of authority to follow the law and not allowing them to take bribes (gifts), follow cronyism cover one each asses rules or whatever would do more to help women and minorities more than anything else.

And like almost any government program the idea is stupid from the get go, which in this case was the point of discussion, not the Hillary corruption.

Uncle Ferd says, "Yea...

... the problem with affirmative action is...

... the more qualified candidate...

... doesn't get the position...

... which is adverse to productivity."

I have never used affirmative action programs and by the standards of most I was very successful in a contracting business. I did not even know what it was until I bid a contract in another state and they required a written affirmative action program in the bid package. I had to laugh at that as I learned what it was. We already hired people regardless of their ethnic background, sex and religion. We had always hired whoever was going to be able to get the job done. The only problem that I could not overcome was a crooked bank, crooked insurance companies, a manufacturer that purposely designed equipment to fail and crooked lawyers and judges that helped those crooks cover up their crimes. An equal opportunity, attorneys with integrity, states made to toe the line in legal matters instead of covering up crimes for money and making the people in those positions of authority to follow the law and not allowing them to take bribes (gifts), follow cronyism cover one each asses rules or whatever would do more to help women and minorities more than anything else.

I sincerely applaud your efforts brother .. but hopefully you understand that AA is a program of correction .. designed to correct proven and documented injustices .. designed to open opportunities to those previously denied those opportunities. Without AA, many of those doors would still be shut.

I'm in business in on-line DBA services .. and my biggest problem is that my competition is all over the world. That being said, competition is good for innovation. The only thing that keeps us in business is competency, accuracy, and results. Race has no impact on what we do. I wish the world was so.

Uncle Ferd says, "Yea...

... the problem with affirmative action is...

... the more qualified candidate...

... doesn't get the position...

... which is adverse to productivity."

Just like when women and non-whites were denied those positions based on their gender and color of skin.

I sincerely applaud your efforts brother .. but hopefully you understand that AA is a program of correction .. designed to correct proven and documented injustices .. designed to open opportunities to those previously denied those opportunities. Without AA, many of those doors would still be shut.

I'm in business in on-line DBA services .. and my biggest problem is that my competition is all over the world. That being said, competition is good for innovation. The only thing that keeps us in business is competency, accuracy, and results. Race has no impact on what we do. I wish the world was so.
Discrimination comes from individuals that are left unchecked. You cannot solve that with a one size shoe fits all legislation like AA. It does not work. You create an environment for more injustice to occur.

Discrimination comes from individuals that are left unchecked. You cannot solve that with a one size shoe fits all legislation like AA. It does not work. You create an environment for more injustice to occur.

I beg to differ .. it's already working for millions of Americans everyday.

Far Reaching Study Documents Success of Affirmative Action

Use the sports analogy and you can see this clearly.

Doors to opportunity were once closed to non-white athletes .. blacks were told they weren't smart enough to play quarterback. The doors were kicked open and what happened?

We discovered that all the sports heroes before the doors were kicked open weren't actually the best in the game. They were just the best of who were allowed to play .. and the highest scoring quarterback in the NFL .. and the best player in the NFL is Cam Newton .. a black quarterback. We change the game .. all of them.

You probably like Ben Carson .. he's a beneficiary of both welfare and affirmative action. He's a political moron .. but he was a great Surgeon.

Of course it works.

I beg to differ .. it's already working for millions of Americans everyday.

Use the sports analogy and you can see this clearly.

Doors to opportunity were once closed to non-white athletes .. blacks were told they weren't smart enough to play quarterback. The doors were kicked open and what happened?

We discovered that all the sports heroes before the doors were kicked open weren't actually the best in the game. They were just the best of who were allowed to play .. and the highest scoring quarterback in the NFL .. and the best player in the NFL is Cam Newton .. a black quarterback. We change the game .. all of them.

You probably like Ben Carson .. he's a beneficiary of both welfare and affirmative action. He's a political moron .. but he was a great Surgeon.

Of course it works.
It did do some good but it is not what is needed now. Welfare is also needed until a parent can get on their feet. Heck if it wasn't for welfare the children and I would have starved years ago as their biological father left us absolutely high and dry. It took me ten years to even get a court order for child support from the prick but those laws are now changed too and the system is supposed to collect from deadbeat dads or moms.

There needs to be grants and programs for people like Ben Carson and other brilliant people coming up into the system but AA is no longer it.

Forum List

Back