Professor says Canada is culturally appropriating poutine from Quebec

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
No joke: Academic says Canada taking credit for poutine is appropriating Quebec culture

An academic from the have-not province of Quebec is claiming classifying poutine as a “Canadian” dish is “cultural appropriation”.

Nicolas Fabien-Ouellet, Montreal-born graduate student at the University of Vermont, claims that poutine is a Québécois creation, not a Canadian one and suggesting otherwise ignores that the dish “has been used as a form of stigma against a minority group that is still at risk of cultural absorption.”

His paper titled 'Poutine Dynamics' will expose “how the Canadian culinary identity is constructed and construed by means of cultural appropriation processes.”...

...In his paper, Fabien-Ouellet even tries to claim that poutine is used to “tarnish Quebec culture and undermine its legitimacy of self-determination as a nation”.

“The dish should be, ideally, labelled explicitly as a Québécois dish,” he writes. “And not a Canadian one to further underscore the cultural context to which it actually belongs.”

Credit to Andy and Chris Warski for informing me about this (at about 1:18:12):

I had poutine once in Hollywood, California. It was pretty good, but this is just funny and sad.

I wish I could appropriate some poutine to my mouth right now. :lol:

Long ago------I read a bit by some snotty French guy ------he made mention
of the great American contribution to fine cuisine-----to wit THE FRENCH FRY,
as with extreme cavalier French disdain----very insulting. I never got over it.
Now the French stepchildren of Quebec want to complain because they dropped
half baked curds on top of MY FRIES?

Forum List

Back