Presidential Election Landslides

What constitutes a landslide vote in the Presidential election?

• Electoral vote.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

What constitutes a landslide? Let us see where you stand. I know Ronald Reagan only won 50.7% of the popular vote in 1980.

Dante
:cool:
dD

Does only a landslide constitutes a mandate for a President?

Last edited:

What constitutes a landslide? Let us see where you stand. I know Ronald Reagan only won 50.7% of the popular vote in 1980.

Dante
dD

An Electoral Land slide, to me is about more than just winning states, and even if it was just about states. 330 Is still not a land slide.

The Fact is aside from Colorado Obama won all the swing states by very Tight Margins. The Popular Vote is also a very tight Margin.

I don't see how you call that a landslide.

I didn't vote in your poll because the Options do not include a right answer. As I said the amount you win by, State by State is the most important Figure.

Obama and the Dems would be very wise to remember that 6 Million less people voted for them this time, and that almost exactly the same amount of people who voted for him, Voted against him. Unless that is he wants another 2 years of Hyper Partisan stalemate.

Last edited:
Had Romney gotten Obama's numbers you folks would be spking the football and doing an end zone dance about how he has a mandate and how liberalism is dead.

True story.

Margin of popular vote. The Electoral vote is usually just a magnified reflection of this. A mandate is slightly different, requiring a sizable absolute majority of the popular vote.

Had Romney gotten Obama's numbers you folks would be spking the football and doing an end zone dance about how he has a mandate and how liberalism is dead.

True story.

Maybe some on the right would but not me bud. This was an extremely close election. Not a landslide.

Now that said, I hope, No I demand, that the Republicans acknowledge their defeat and compromise with Obama and the Dems.

Dante
dD

1) An Electoral Land slide, to me is about more than just winning states, and even if it was just about states. 330 Is still not a land slide.

2) The Fact is aside from Colorado Obama won all the swing states by very Tight Margins. The Popular Vote is also a very tight Margin.

2) I don't see how you call that a landslide.

3) I didn't vote in your poll because the Options do not include a right answer. As I said the amount you win by, State by State is the most important Figure.

4) Obama and the Dems would be very wise to remember that 6 Million less people voted for them this time, and that almost exactly the same amount of people who voted for him, Voted against him. Unless that is he wants another 2 years of Hyper Partisan stalemate.

Sounds like you are spinning or avoiding being clear here.

1) If an electoral landslide more than just the amount of states won, how so? Is it the electoral count, or the amount of the states won, or the amount of states won and the count together?

2) President Reagan won in 1980 with only 50% of the popular vote. He swept the electoral college by count and states. Look at the states with close counts: United States presidential election, 1980 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and then answer: Do you think Ronald Reagan had a mandate in 1980?

3) makes no sense

4) your analysis is as flawed here as it was on who would win the election in 2012 and why

Margin of popular vote. The Electoral vote is usually just a magnified reflection of this. A mandate is slightly different, requiring a sizable absolute majority of the popular vote.

Reagan won with only 50.7% of the popular vote, yet he swept the states. Many states he won were close in the popular vote. Do you think Reagan have a mandate in 1980?

True story.

Maybe some on the right would but not me bud. This was an extremely close election. Not a landslide.

Now that said, I hope, No I demand, that the Republicans acknowledge their defeat and compromise with Obama and the Dems.

:eusa_angel:

Dante
dD

There is no such thing as a mandate in our system.

And the fact that the sheep basically kept the status quo of the last two years as far as the composition of government is concerned I don't know how you can believe that the sheep actually want things to change.

I should have added: "or a substantial change in the composition of Congress." I would say that in 1980 Reagan did have a mandate because of his popular vote margin over Carter and the GOP takeover of the Senate.

Dante
dD

1) An Electoral Land slide, to me is about more than just winning states, and even if it was just about states. 330 Is still not a land slide.

2) The Fact is aside from Colorado Obama won all the swing states by very Tight Margins. The Popular Vote is also a very tight Margin.

3) I didn't vote in your poll because the Options do not include a right answer. As I said the amount you win by, State by State is the most important Figure.

4) Obama and the Dems would be very wise to remember that 6 Million less people voted for them this time, and that almost exactly the same amount of people who voted for him, Voted against him. Unless that is he wants another 2 years of Hyper Partisan stalemate.

1) If an electoral landslide more than just the amount of states won, how so? Is it the electoral count, or the amount of the states won, or the amount of states won and the count together?

2) President Reagan won in 1980 with only 50% of the popular vote. He swept the electoral college by count and states. Look at the states with close counts: United States presidential election, 1980 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and then answer: Do you think Ronald Reagan had a mandate in 1980?

3) makes no sense

4) your analysis is as flawed here as it was on who would win the election in 2012 and why

Sorry bud but You will not convince me Obama won in a Landslide. The margins were just to close.

As far as my prediction of the Election. I always said Romney would only win if the Gallup/Rass figures on Party affiliation were right and Republicans turned out more than Dems.

I always said if that did not happen it would be an extremely close race that Obama would likely win.

So I don't see how I got it so wrong.

Dante
dD

There is no such thing as a mandate in our system.

And the fact that the sheep basically kept the status quo of the last two years as far as the composition of government is concerned I don't know how you can believe that the sheep actually want things to change.

Don't agree. But unlike others, you state your opinion well with little to no spin.:clap2:

The American people are too disinterested to care about impending problems like the national deficit or debt until it hits them in the face (or the wallet). As a result, we will not undertake any serious reforms until inflation and interest rates skyrocket, and social programs have to be cut. Remember, it took Pearl Harbor to get us into WW2.

I should have added: "or a substantial change in the composition of Congress." I would say that in 1980 Reagan did have a mandate because of his popular vote margin over Carter and the GOP takeover of the Senate.

popular vote margin? He got 50.7%. 47.6% chose other than Reagan. And the US Senate ... one chamber of Congress

3) makes no sense

1) Sorry bud but You will not convince me Obama won in a Landslide. The margins were just to close.

2) As far as my prediction of the Election. I always said Romney would only win if the Gallup/Rass figures on Party affiliation were right and Republicans turned out more than Dems.

3) I always said if that did not happen it would be an extremely close race that Obama would likely win.

4) So I don't see how I got it so wrong.

Pay attention: Dante did not claim or mean to suggest Obama won a landslide.

Number 4 is answered by the disconnect with number 2.

The American people are too disinterested to care about impending problems like the national deficit or debt until it hits them in the face (or the wallet). As a result, we will not undertake any serious reforms until inflation and interest rates skyrocket, and social programs have to be cut. Remember, it took Pearl Harbor to get us into WW2.

Polls say differently. All of them do

the rest of your post is ideological claptrap

Forum List

Back