President Trump vows to end radical left-wing indoctrination and anti-American sentiment in educational system. He is creating the "1776 Commission".

exactly..our Schools do that just fine. We don’t need commie indoctrination from the federal government.
OH DEAR GOD youre so ignorant,,,

they are already doing that,,,thats what trumps trying to fix with this,,,

why are you so afraid of accurate american history being taught???
I explained it to you. American history is being taught and taught well. The problem is, you want your version of American history taught. I am especially against some bureaucrat in Washington telling schools their version of history depending on who is in political power.
I want accurate history taught,,,and that hasnt been done in a long time,,,
“Accurate history” will not come from the federal government.
like I said,,
if youre to brain dead to think they will create the curriculum youre to far gone to understand the subject,,,
You idiot that is what Trump said.
I thought trump lies all the time???

I think youre just brain dead,,,

except for the fact he wants constitutional history based on facts and china wants communist history based on lies,,,

Johnlaw is defending history based on lies, and he's mad at Trump for opposing it. That's exactly the point of this thread, as well as a similar one started at the same time by Ben Thomson.

As one of the most important maneuvers to enact Chinese nationalism, the Communist government launched an extensive propaganda campaign of patriotic education after the Tiananmen Incident in 1989. The patriotic education campaign was well-engineered and appealed to nationalism in the name of patriotism to ensure loyalty in a population that was otherwise subject to many domestic discontents.

Sound Familiar

The patriotic education campaign was a state-led nationalist movement, which redefined the legitimacy of the post-Tiananmen leadership in a way that would permit the Communist Party's rule to continue on the basis of a non-Communist ideology. Patriotism was thus used to bolster CCP power in a country that was portrayed as besieged and embattled. The dependence on patriotism to build support for the government and the patriotic education campaign by the Communist propagandists were directly responsible for the nationalistic sentiment of the Chinese people in the mid-1990s.

Trump calls for Patriotic Education

except for the fact he wants constitutional history and china wants communist history,,,

nice try but all you did was make yourself look stupid,,,
Sorry Red, it is about the use of the state to inculcate youth into one narrative of history. Trump wants the federal government to decide what is patriotic. That is Communist-style education to the core.

Teaching The 1619 Project as fact is sheer nonsense. That in itself is enough to take action.

There is no doubt that Trump is the most ridiculous person imaginable to initiate any American educational program. He is truly illiterate about our history, and world history. Talk of patriotism cannot he left to hucksters and conmen and scoundrels — though they and politicians are the types who most often pretend to be “patriotic.”

The first minutes of the speech prepared for him was, for me, impossible to listen to. Trump’s speech lathered on about how a “patriotic education” must teach our students about the “nobility of the American character“ — but character must be taught by example and lived, not proclaimed as inherent in any people.

Next Trump announced our Constitution of 1787 was the culmination of “1,000 years of Western Civilization,” which made me laugh at the thought that the kernel of “Western Civilization” might have roots going back to the year ... 787 !

That said, there are indeed problems with the “1619 Project“ pushed by the liberal New York Times. There is no space here to outline those problems, or to talk about “critical race theory.“ Propaganda and indoctrination are twin dangers that educators and the public must learn to better recognize and oppose, in our media especially, but also when necessary in our schools. Neither can be countered by introducing “patriotic education” which is just hagiography of the USA.

Last edited:
exactly..our Schools do that just fine. We don’t need commie indoctrination from the federal government.
OH DEAR GOD youre so ignorant,,,

they are already doing that,,,thats what trumps trying to fix with this,,,

I explained it to you. American history is being taught and taught well. The problem is, you want your version of American history taught. I am especially against some bureaucrat in Washington telling schools their version of history depending on who is in political power.

Growing up, I was taught that America is a great nation with a proud history that like every country in history has it's own share of dirty laundry. Americans fought a bloody civil war amongst themselves and ended slavery in their own country despite the fact that it tore the entire nation apart and destroyed half the nation's economy. In contrast, European nations outlawed slavery in their own countries because they didn't need it there, except kept it alive in their own colonies for decades where they did need it until it they could afford to abolish it. This is why European countries didn't have to fight comparable Civil Wars. They could more easily turn a blind eye to their slavery happening halfway across the world while the riches rolled in across the sea. Compare that to the way America chose to fight a bloody internal civil war on its own soil against fellow countrymen, resulting in a million deaths. All of this, despite the fact that half the nation's economy still depended on slavery and we had no idea how or even if we could continue as a nation afterwards.

This moron said something about "patriotic education." I guess that this means teaching kids that their "Dear Leader," the "president" can do no wrong, no one was ever mistreated in the U.S., and we have never had any problems. Why waste government money on a "1776 Commission"? Just put Valium in the kids' drinks.

As one of the most important maneuvers to enact Chinese nationalism, the Communist government launched an extensive propaganda campaign of patriotic education after the Tiananmen Incident in 1989. The patriotic education campaign was well-engineered and appealed to nationalism in the name of patriotism to ensure loyalty in a population that was otherwise subject to many domestic discontents.

Sound Familiar

The patriotic education campaign was a state-led nationalist movement, which redefined the legitimacy of the post-Tiananmen leadership in a way that would permit the Communist Party's rule to continue on the basis of a non-Communist ideology. Patriotism was thus used to bolster CCP power in a country that was portrayed as besieged and embattled. The dependence on patriotism to build support for the government and the patriotic education campaign by the Communist propagandists were directly responsible for the nationalistic sentiment of the Chinese people in the mid-1990s.

except for the fact he wants constitutional history and china wants communist history,,,

nice try but all you did was make yourself look stupid,,,
Sorry Red, it is about the use of the state to inculcate youth into one narrative of history. Trump wants the federal government to decide what is patriotic. That is Communist-style education to the core.

Go ahead.. Ya got one chance to explain why the RADICAL LEFT "1619 Project" IS NOT Indoctrination and is supportable by ACTUAL history... Goes both ways.. ONE WAY keeps American history objective and real -- the OTHER is just baloney...

The first minutes of the speech prepared for him was, for me, impossible to listen to. Trump’s speech lathered on about how a “patriotic education” must teach our students about the “nobility of the American character“ — but character must be taught by example and lived, not proclaimed as inherent in any people.

Next Trump announced our Constitution of 1787 was the culmination of “1,000 years of Western Civilization,” which made me laugh at the thought that the kernel of “Western Civilization” might have roots going back to the year ... 787 !

That said, there are indeed problems with the “1619 Project“ pushed by the liberal New York Times. There is no space here to outline those problems, or to talk about “critical race theory.“ Propaganda and indoctrination are twin dangers that educators and the public must learn to better recognize and oppose, in our media especially, but also when necessary in our schools. Neither can be countered by introducing “patriotic education” which is just hagiography of the USA.

There is a PROVEN "noble character" of America.. Not one without obvious flaws, but in terms of offering opportunity and relative political stability -- we got here faster than any other culture on Earth... And we're talking about HISTORY -- not Trump.. But you just cant resist..

We DO AGREE this needs to be "aired out".. And it would NEVER BE "aired out" without a political outsider pointing out the painful obvious fact that too many rabid foaming mouth opportunists are being allowed to muck with curriculum.. You may hate the messenger -- but this NEEDS some adults to set things straight..

KIDS -- don't NEED hagiography.. They dont NEED the nuisances.. K-12 should be BASIC historical timelines with inclusions of the mistakes and successes as "discussion" that you CANNOT SUPPORT in classes at that level..

Is it that I'm too concerned about childhood innocence? MAYBE... Because the parallel in sex education is teaching kids about masturbation before they understand family, romance, actual love.

Sound Familiar

More of Trump pandering to the social right – most of whom are bigots and racists.

There’s nothing ‘un-American’ about teaching facts concerning slavery, its role in American history, and the existing racism and hate that exists today.

I want accurate history taught,,,and that hasnt been done in a long time,,,
As one poster so accurately put, the liberals want to erase certain things from our history books because they favored slavery, founded the KKK, opposed civil rights...and they don't want that taught to our children.

hagiography
Thanks for the addition to my vocabulary.
...............................................................................................

Here's another take on the topic:

There is a PROVEN "noble character" of America.. Not one without obvious flaws, but in terms of offering opportunity and relative political stability -- we got here faster than any other culture on Earth... And we're talking about HISTORY -- not Trump.. But you just cant resist..

We DO AGREE this needs to be "aired out".. And it would NEVER BE "aired out" without a political outsider pointing out the painful obvious fact that too many rabid foaming mouth opportunists are being allowed to muck with curriculum.. You may hate the messenger -- but this NEEDS some adults to set things straight..

KIDS -- don't NEED hagiography.. They dont NEED the nuisances.. K-12 should be BASIC historical timelines with inclusions of the mistakes and successes as "discussion" that you CANNOT SUPPORT in classes at that level..

Is it that I'm too concerned about childhood innocence? MAYBE... Because the parallel in sex education is teaching kids about masturbation before they understand family, romance, actual love.
You refer to the “1619 Project” launched in 2019 by New York Times Magazine and led by Op-Ed columnist Nicole Hannah-Jones, as “radical left.” That is your first mistake. Bad history is bad history, and those who early pointed out the errors of the NYT’s 1619 Project included most notably Trotskyist leftists as well as diverse African American scholars such as ... Princeton historian Nell Painter, leftist Professor Adolph Reed, Columbia's John McWhorter (a liberal centrist) and Brown's George Loury (a moderate conservative). These were not minor African-American scholars.

Of course other professional liberal and conservative historians, not merely these African-Americans, were quick to point out the exaggeration of interpretation and shortage and distortion of facts in the journalistic piece by the non-historian director of the Project. For example notable historian James McPherson, who has done much to mold contemporary views of the Civil War due to his remarkable book Battle Cry of Freedom and narration of the PBS special “The Civil War,” quickly opposed the mistakes in the 1619 Project.

My point is your own immersion in the raging culture and political wars seems to make you see Trump as the only “adult” in the room, when in fact he is probably the least mature or knowledgeable person in the discussion. His comments during the culture wars have been, in my opinion, extremely ignorant and inflammatory, and like much far right criticism, he doesn’t stop at criticizing errors but counterposes an, imo, broadly false “Essentialist” view of American history. Seeing this controversy only through the lens of extreme rightwing “intellectuals” on the internet or in the media ... is bound to mislead.

But you are right that liberal identity politics and the more general tendency to twist history to better support political partisanship, affects not just the teaching of history and sociology and curriculum at colleges, but also the news media, and ultimately even political policy. Imo, the New York Times certainly hurt it’s own credibility in this episode.

It is NOT possible to “do history” correctly if we see it as only reflecting “liberal” vs “conservative,” or “national patriotic” vs. “humanistic universalist,” counterposed perspectives. History is not a hard science and treating “patriotic history” always and everywhere involves deeply emotional national myths. I certainly agree that children need to learn some basic “facts” of history, before getting deep into all the controversies.

But “patriotic education” seems to assume that telling the remarkable story of our nation requires something else, that children must be taught — as you seem to believe — that our people (or “America”!) is more noble than others, rather than more, for lack of a better word ... blessed. In any case, we are duty bound to remember, amidst all the contradictory myths of “Noble Savages,” heroic frontiersmen, monstrous yet somehow Enlightened slave-owning “Founding Fathers,” that Americans were never all equally blessed.

Teaching historiography is crucial at the university level. The old hagiography of our Founding Fathers and much “Lost Cause” apologetics disappeared after the Civil Rights Movement and new historical research revealed their inadequacies. I am confident the faddish inadequacies associated with liberal identity politics, and “critical race theory,” will also pass. We must not look backwards and throw out the baby with the bath water, however. I myself stand with Noam Chomsky in supporting the “Letter to Harper’s Magazine” signed by some 150 scholars and intellectuals, and I do not believe “national patriotic education” is the answer to our problems today any more than patriotic education was the answer to China’s very different problems after the Tiananmen massacre.

Here are some thoughtful articles for those who want to look further at this important dispute:

U. professors send letter requesting corrections to 1619 Project

How we think about the term 'enslaved' matters

Last edited:
If Trump gets re-elected and follows through on this, that puts him past Reagan as far the greatest president of my lifetime. Reagan vowed to eliminate Carter's US Department of Education, except didn't.

"Trump, speaking before original copies of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence at the National Archives, characterized demonstrations against racial injustice as “left-wing rioting and mayhem” that “are the direct result of decades of left-wing indoctrination in our schools. It’s gone on far too long.”

View attachment 389989
I don't want "pro America" history. Just tell the facts. To wash it one way or the other.

If Trump gets re-elected and follows through on this, that puts him past Reagan as far the greatest president of my lifetime. Reagan vowed to eliminate Carter's US Department of Education, except didn't.

"Trump, speaking before original copies of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence at the National Archives, characterized demonstrations against racial injustice as “left-wing rioting and mayhem” that “are the direct result of decades of left-wing indoctrination in our schools. It’s gone on far too long.”

View attachment 389989
I don't want "pro America" history. Just tell the facts. To wash it one way or the other.

Critical Theory is the anti-thesis of "stick to the facts" and keep it balanced. Critical Theory teaches that everything is a one-sided narrative and everything is all about power.

New Topics

Forum List

Back