Pre-election Enthusiasm

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Fluke Rally Draws 40

Apparently Sandra Fluke’s momentary celebrity has dwindled from a moment to a nanosecond. You would think that her appeal would be most strongly reflected on college campuses, but even college students are disinterested in her.

Speaking on the University of Florida campus yesterday to encourage students to vote early for Barack Obama, Fluke – who became famous for whining that Georgetown University, a Catholic university, should pay for her birth control – drew just 40 people. That’s out of 35,000 students enrolled.

Fluke, who complained because Rush Limbaugh called her a s*ut, calls her Youth Early Vote Campus Outreach tour, “It’s On You” and stood by the potato statue to speak.

Other vegetables declined the invitation.

:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Biden Draws Small Crowds

Joe Biden is a veritable crowd magnet. Stopping in Beloit, Wisconsin today, Biden spoke before a whopping crowd of 1100 people. He was accompanied by radical leftist Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, who is running for the Senate, and spoke before him.

Yesterday Biden spoke in Fort Dodge, Iowa, drawing a gargantuan crowd of 475 people, most of whom had already voted for him.

Who’s got the momentum?

'Catholics for Obama' Denver Event Draws 45 People

After being denied a campaign “rally” at Regis University in Denver, the Obama campaign settled for a “dialogue” with a co-chair of a group that calls itself “Catholics for Obama.”

According to Catholic News Agency, about 45 people attended the dialogue on October 25th, the topic of which was “Catholic Social Teaching: The Intersection of Faith and Politics.”

Paul Alexander, director of Regis University’s Institute for the Common Good, said that the Obama campaign had originally wanted an event at the Jesuit university that had “more of a rally element.”

“We just felt we couldn’t do a rally, but we felt a healthy dialogue among Catholics was important,” said Alexander.

Nicholas P. Cafardi, Catholics for Obama national co-chair and a law professor and dean emeritus of Duquesne University School of Law, helped develop the dialogue, along with another co-chair of the group, Victoria Kovari, and Broderick Johnson, a senior adviser to the Obama campaign.

According to Alexander, the purpose of the dialogue was to “bring a message that is totally non-political.”

Defending the Obama administration’s HHS mandate, Cafardi said the Church’s position on abortion “ignores the need to use prudential judgment to decide the best way to protect human life.” Cafardi asserted that the administration’s “conscience accommodation,” which has been rejected by both the Church and individual business owners opposed to the mandate, is adequate.

Cafardi, who rejects the Catholic Church’s position on abortion, criticized the Catholic bishops’ actions on political issues, particularly their emphasis on religious liberty. “Our sacred pastors will tell us the ethical and moral principles that should govern human behavior. They can tell us the values that should be defended,” he said. “No bishop, no priest, can tell you how to vote, ever. They don’t have that right.”

However, in contrast, Pope Benedict XVI, in his 2011 World Day of Peace message, called religious freedom the “path to peace.” The Pope said that since “religious freedom is at the origin of moral freedom,” it should be understood “not merely as immunity from coercion, but even more fundamentally as an ability to order one’s own choices in accordance with truth…”

The Pope continued:

When religious freedom is acknowledged, the dignity of the human person is respected at its root, and the ethos and institutions of peoples are strengthened. On the other hand, whenever religious freedom is denied, and attempts are made to hinder people from professing their religion or faith and living accordingly, human dignity is offended, with a resulting threat to justice and peace...."

Almost no one shows up to Elizabeth Warren “endorsement rally” in Worcester, MA

by William A. Jacobson @ » Almost no one shows up to Elizabeth Warren “endorsement rally” in Worcester, MA - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

The current Mayor and several former Mayors of Worcester, MA, held an “endorsement rally” for Elizabeth Warren yesterday:

Mayor Joe Petty, along with Lt. Gov. Tim Murray and other Democrats, will lead an endorsement rally in front of Worcester City Hall at 9 a.m.

“I’m proud to stand with my predecessors,” Petty said in a statement. “We’re coming together not out of politics, but for one simple reason: Elizabeth Warren is the only candidate in this race who will stick up for the needs of Worcester; for the working families that are the fabric of our community; and for the small businesses that drive our economy.”

Worcester and Central Massachusetts, with its historically conservative leanings, is considered a stronghold for Brown in predominately liberal Massachusetts. According to a September survey conducted by the Western New England University Polling Institute for The Republican/MassLive.com, 60 percent of those polled in Central Mass. were supporting Brown compared to 36 percent who said Warren was the candidate of choice.

Brown previously secured an endorsement from former Worcester Mayor Konstantina “Konnie” Lukes, a conservative Democrat and current Worcester city councilor. Lukes also appeared in a TV ad on Brown’s behalf, saying she is “impressed by Scott Brown’s independence, his ability to work with people on both sides of the aisle.”

If all you saw were the news reports and images, you’d think it was a great rally:

Thousands Overflow Romney Speech in Wisconsin

Thousands gathered to hear Mitt Romney deliver his "closing argument" in the suddenly-swing-state of Wisconsin--and two thousand more listened outside in 40-degree weather, according to Breitbart News correspondent Rebel Pundit, who is covering both campaigns as they compete for the state's ten electoral votes.

The photo above was taken at 10:26 a.m. this morning. The upper Midwest has become part of the Romney campaign's expanding electoral map, as Paul Ryan travels to address a rally in Minnesota on Sunday and Romney heads to Pennsylvania on Sunday as well. The Obama campaign is attempting to defend these formerly "safe" states by advertising and holding events in both. The turnout, however, seems to favor the challengers.

Pictures @ Thousands Overflow Romney Speech in Wisconsin

The Enthusiasm Is All GOP

by John Hinderaker @ The Enthusiasm Is All GOP | Power Line

Intensity, which translates into enthusiasm and therefore turnout, is an important factor in elections. One of President Obama’s fundamental problems is that, while his approval/disapproval ratings have hovered around 50/50 throughout his term, the intensity of those who disapprove of his performance has consistently been greater. We have noted this many times by referring to Scott Rasmussen’s Approval Index, which compares strong approval with strong disapproval. An incumbent who is in negative territory by this measure is likely in trouble. This graph shows Obama’s Approval Index from his inauguration to the present; currently he stands at -11. His strong approval numbers have improved somewhat over the course of the campaign, as Democrats express more loyalty, but note how consistent the strong disapproval has been:

obama_approval_index_november_2_2012.jpg

This situation, which has existed for nearly all of Obama’s term, is reflected in the many polls that show Republicans are much more enthusiastic about voting this year than Democrats. Since there are about an equal number of Republicans and Democrats, that bodes well for the GOP.

The enthusiasm gap, while rarely commented on in the mass media, is reflected on the campaign trail just about every day. Barack Obama and Joe Biden generate relatively small crowds–far smaller than in 2008–and both Obama and his surrogates generally prefer to appear on college campuses, about the only remaining venues where they can hope for an enthusiastic crowd.

The opposite is true for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. They draw large, excited crowds pretty much everywhere they go. I was reminded of what it takes to draw a big crowd on the stump when I got an email invitation to Paul Ryan’s appearance in Minnesota on Sunday. The event will take place in an airplane hangar, and, with security requirements, the doors will open a full two hours before the rally is scheduled to begin. I am a “broken glass” voter, but I probably won’t devote my whole Sunday afternoon to getting in and out of a Romney/Ryan rally. The fact that tens of thousands are willing to commit to that kind of time and inconvenience demonstrates how dedicated Republican voters are this year.

Today in West Chester, Ohio, a crowd estimated at 25,000 turned out to cheer Mitt Romney. Twitchy has lots of photos, including this one:
606x460xc004cd2a253f11e2a9d522000a1fb17d_7.jpg.pagespeed.ic.51_d-CdusK.jpg

Via InstaPundit, check out this remarkable panoramic view of the West Chester Rally. Here is a partial screen shot:

WestChesterRally061.jpg

The enthusiasm gap is one reason why I am optimistic that Michael Barone’s prediction of a Romney victory will prove correct.

There's a lot of cherrypicking on display here. I could just as easily trumpet President Obama's enthusiasm edge, if I engaged in similiar cherrypicking.

There's no evidence of an unusual Republican turnout edge. The Republicans will have their usual couple points of turnout edge, which is already accounted for in the polls. Wishful thinking won't make a super Republican turnout happen, nor does someone's own enthusiasm translate to nationwide enthusiasm.

Thousands Overflow Romney Speech in Wisconsin

Thousands gathered to hear Mitt Romney deliver his "closing argument" in the suddenly-swing-state of Wisconsin--and two thousand more listened outside in 40-degree weather, according to Breitbart News correspondent Rebel Pundit, who is covering both campaigns as they compete for the state's ten electoral votes.

The photo above was taken at 10:26 a.m. this morning. The upper Midwest has become part of the Romney campaign's expanding electoral map, as Paul Ryan travels to address a rally in Minnesota on Sunday and Romney heads to Pennsylvania on Sunday as well. The Obama campaign is attempting to defend these formerly "safe" states by advertising and holding events in both. The turnout, however, seems to favor the challengers.

Pictures @ Thousands Overflow Romney Speech in Wisconsin
no doubt that worry that romney has so many people for his rallies. obama need to do as big a rally in next few days i think

The Enthusiasm Is All GOP

by John Hinderaker @ The Enthusiasm Is All GOP | Power Line

Intensity, which translates into enthusiasm and therefore turnout, is an important factor in elections. One of President Obama’s fundamental problems is that, while his approval/disapproval ratings have hovered around 50/50 throughout his term, the intensity of those who disapprove of his performance has consistently been greater. We have noted this many times by referring to Scott Rasmussen’s Approval Index, which compares strong approval with strong disapproval. An incumbent who is in negative territory by this measure is likely in trouble. This graph shows Obama’s Approval Index from his inauguration to the present; currently he stands at -11. His strong approval numbers have improved somewhat over the course of the campaign, as Democrats express more loyalty, but note how consistent the strong disapproval has been:

obama_approval_index_november_2_2012.jpg

This situation, which has existed for nearly all of Obama’s term, is reflected in the many polls that show Republicans are much more enthusiastic about voting this year than Democrats. Since there are about an equal number of Republicans and Democrats, that bodes well for the GOP.

The enthusiasm gap, while rarely commented on in the mass media, is reflected on the campaign trail just about every day. Barack Obama and Joe Biden generate relatively small crowds–far smaller than in 2008–and both Obama and his surrogates generally prefer to appear on college campuses, about the only remaining venues where they can hope for an enthusiastic crowd.

The opposite is true for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. They draw large, excited crowds pretty much everywhere they go. I was reminded of what it takes to draw a big crowd on the stump when I got an email invitation to Paul Ryan’s appearance in Minnesota on Sunday. The event will take place in an airplane hangar, and, with security requirements, the doors will open a full two hours before the rally is scheduled to begin. I am a “broken glass” voter, but I probably won’t devote my whole Sunday afternoon to getting in and out of a Romney/Ryan rally. The fact that tens of thousands are willing to commit to that kind of time and inconvenience demonstrates how dedicated Republican voters are this year.

Today in West Chester, Ohio, a crowd estimated at 25,000 turned out to cheer Mitt Romney. Twitchy has lots of photos, including this one:
606x460xc004cd2a253f11e2a9d522000a1fb17d_7.jpg.pagespeed.ic.51_d-CdusK.jpg

Via InstaPundit, check out this remarkable panoramic view of the West Chester Rally. Here is a partial screen shot:

WestChesterRally061.jpg

The enthusiasm gap is one reason why I am optimistic that Michael Barone’s prediction of a Romney victory will prove correct.
that what i fear. that gop will turn out big time over dem on tuesday .

That what i fear sadly

Forum List

Back