Praise

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
OK So I'm going to preface this by saying I don't have kids.

I was at the supermarket a few days ago waiting in line at the checkout and in front of me was a father and his kid.

The kid was sitting in the carriage and he put some item on the belt and his father gushed for at least a minute on how great a job the kid did saying how awesome he was to help and that "Dad couldn't do it without him" etc. And this went on and on for every item the kid placed on the register belt.

Praise is all well and good but doesn't it become toxic at some point?

I praise my son after he completes a job. Not after every step is complete.

Exactly. And the praise for a mundane activity of daily living like buying groceries seemed to me to be ridiculously out of proportion

Kids need courage and confidence building words of encouragement, but like participation trophies it can be a deterrent to the healthy mental growth of a child when overdone.

All things in moderation

I always coached my kids and let them learn by doing- I'm a nurturer by nature- and as a supervisor (boss) on a job I was usually older than others (after several years) and I encouraged making your own decision about how to best accomplish a task- and if there is a problem, we'll work it out together- my kids still talk to me- I guess that's a good thang-

Parents tend to gush over anything that their offspring can accomplish. I don't see any harm in it, especially considering how many kids receive no praise at all.

Parents tend to gush over anything that their offspring can accomplish. I don't see any harm in it, especially considering how many kids receive no praise at all.

Does teaching a kid to expect that level of praise for every little insignificant thing become toxic at some point.

This kid isn't going to get all kinds of lavish praise from other people for doing mundane things and if he thinks he deserves that kind of praise for the mundane the parents are doing him a disservice.

Does teaching a kid to expect that level of praise for every little insignificant thing become toxic at some point.

This kid isn't going to get all kinds of lavish praise from other people for doing mundane things and if he thinks he deserves that kind of praise for the mundane the parents are doing him a disservice.
A small child isn't going to remember the details at all. The parents will naturally ease up on the praise as the kid gets older. There's no praising an 11 year old for putting items on the conveyor.

A small child isn't going to remember the details at all. The parents will naturally ease up on the praise as the kid gets older. There's no praising an 11 year old for putting items on the conveyor.

time will tell I guess

New Topics

Forum List

Back