Power the WORLD with solar panels!

Actually, it was much warmer in the Eemiam than now.

At the peak of the Eemian, the Northern Hemisphere winters were generally warmer and wetter than now, though some areas were actually slightly cooler than today. The hippopotamus was distributed as far north as the rivers Rhine and Thames.[11] Trees grew as far north as southern Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago: currently, the northern limit is further south at Kuujjuaq in northern Quebec. Coastal Alaska was warm enough during the summer due to reduced sea ice in the Arctic Ocean to allow Saint Lawrence Island (now tundra) to have boreal forest, although inadequate precipitation caused a reduction in the forest cover in interior Alaska and Yukon Territory despite warmer conditions.[12] The prairie-forest boundary in the Great Plains of the United States lay further west near Lubbock, Texas, whereas the current boundary is near Dallas.
-------
And even at Holocene climate optimum there was a bit warmer that now.

The Holocene Climate Optimum warm event consisted of increases of up to 4 °C near the North Pole (in one study, winter warming of 3 to 9 °C and summer of 2 to 6 °C in northern central Siberia).[1] Northwestern Europe experienced warming, but there was cooling in Southern Europe.[2] The average temperature change appears to have declined rapidly with latitude and so essentially no change in mean temperature is reported at low and middle latitudes. Tropical reefs tend to show temperature increases of less than 1 °C. The tropical ocean surface at the Great Barrier Reef about 5350 years ago was 1 °C warmer and enriched in 18O by 0.5 per mil relative to modern seawater.[3] In terms of the global average, temperatures were probably warmer than now, depending on estimates of latitude dependence and seasonality in response patterns.[citation needed] Temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere were warmer than average during the summers, but the tropics and parts of the Southern Hemisphere were colder than average.[4]

Of 140 sites across the western Arctic, there is clear evidence for conditions that were warmer than now at 120 sites. At 16 sites for which quantitative estimates have been obtained, local temperatures were on average 1.6±0.8 °C higher during the optimum than now. Northwestern North America reached peak warmth first, from 11,000 to 9,000 years ago, but the Laurentide Ice Sheet still chilled eastern Canada. Northeastern North America experienced peak warming 4,000 years later. Along the Arctic Coastal Plain in Alaska, there are indications of summer temperatures 2–3 °C warmer than now.[5] Research indicates that the Arctic had less sea ice than now.[6]

Current desert regions of Central Asia were extensively forested because of higher rainfall, and the warm temperate forest belts in China and Japan were extended northwards.[7]

West African sediments additionally record the African humid period, an interval between 16,000 and 6,000 years ago during which Africa was much wetter than now. That was caused by a strengthening of the African monsoon by changes in summer radiation, which resulted from long-term variations in the Earth's orbit around the Sun. The "Green Sahara" was dotted with numerous lakes, containing typical African lake crocodile and hippopotamus fauna.

I never said that the earth wasn't warmer in the past. So all of what you wrote was for nothing.

The panels wouldn't have to be clear. Just translucent. And they can be made to be strong. Also, usually when I see a road, I can see the pavement. That is clean enough. Next, if they had a picture of a moron in the dictionary, it would probably be a picture of you.

The panels wouldn't have to be clear. Just translucent. And they can be made to be strong.

Would that be double the current cost? Triple?

Also, usually when I see a road, I can see the pavement. That is clean enough.

How can you tell when asphalt is dirty?

Next, if they had a picture of a moron in the dictionary,

Tell me again how dangerous U-238 is over the next 4.5 billion years........

I'm surprised you're smart enough to breathe. Also, what that half life thing means id that in over 4 billion years, Uranium 238 would have lost half of its radioactivity.

Also, what that half life thing means id that in over 4 billion years, Uranium 238 would have lost half of its radioactivity.

It means half would be left. Moron.

The panels wouldn't have to be clear. Just translucent. And they can be made to be strong.

Would that be double the current cost? Triple?

Also, usually when I see a road, I can see the pavement. That is clean enough.

How can you tell when asphalt is dirty?

Next, if they had a picture of a moron in the dictionary,

Tell me again how dangerous U-238 is over the next 4.5 billion years........
If the active agent of the solar panel was perovskite, is would mean that the cost would far smaller. And the efficiency increased by as much as 50%.

There are a dozen battery “breakthroughs” floating around on Youtube

But do far its all talk

I do think its only a matter of time before battery storage does achieve what you want

But its not there yet
WTF are you talking about? SunRun installs these. It's not "talk". There are vast solar fields around the world, which will only grow. There are different battery technologies because they are all competing to become the accepted standard, just as BetaMax gave way to VHS and DAT lost to CDs and Zune lost to iPod.

We already distribute electricity you fucking moron. The point is you cannot transport it over very long distances, why do you think all major power sources are close to the areas they power? Do you think solar produced electrons act differently?

The further the distance, the more loss, and costs go up even more:

After 1000 miles, 8.71% is lost, and delivered power costs at least 19% extra.
After 2000 miles, 17.4% is lost, and delivered power costs at least 42% extra.
This is a great argument for solar panels in the backyard powering your house.

This is a great argument for solar panels in the backyard powering your house.
Solar panels don’t make enough to power a house. And they take ten years to break even on the cost, then after another 5 years of saving a little bit, it’s time to replace the panels and start over.

There are different battery technologies because they are all competing to become the accepted standard
No, at this point its all talk by over excited futurists

Whats actually in the marketplace is lithium and nothing else

Solar panels don’t make enough to power a house. And they take ten years to break even on the cost, then after another 5 years of saving a little bit, it’s time to replace the panels and start over.
On grid connected non-battery backed systems the average time for recoup the cost is 8 years. And most panels today are guaranteed for 20 to 25 years. And that guarantee is for at least 80% of the original generation, not for the panel to be replaced. With a battery backup, if you are in a VPP, your recoup time will probably be shorter. And you will have power in case of grid failure. And a VPP is local, so there is little transmission loss.

No, at this point its all talk by over excited futurists

Whats actually in the marketplace is lithium and nothing else
Really? There are several different lithium chemistries in use right now. And there is much work being done on things like sodium and sulfur.

Really? There are several different lithium chemistries in use right now. And there is much work being done on things like sodium and sulfur.
There is work being done on many ideas

But progress is slow

You are forgetting capacitors. Also, I've heard of using sodium to store excess energy from solar panels as heat. Which at night can be used to turn water into steam to power electric turbines. But this is the first I've heard of using sulfur to do the same thing.

Forum List

Back