Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

Is wasn't built for profit, you silly twit.

Well then, the Russians paid what they should have paid for it. Unfortunately it ended up costing them FAR more than many nuclear plant would have cost them. So much that they needed international help and financing to try and just contain the damage to some degree. As far as completely fixing the disaster, that is beyond the ability of humanity to do.

You mentioned Ringworld. The Ringworld was built of scrith.

OK, and?
I mentioned carbon which provides many of the qualities.
AND
So what?

Did you really think I was suggesting building a "Ring World?"
That would indicate a severe break with reality.

I was expanding on the "follow the sun" analogy.
At our technology level the "ring world" would be solar arrays covering every rural roadway around the world. Connected to a single grid. Such a design would provide more power than we can currently consume without construction and operation harming the environment
A bit more technology and we move the arrays to space.
Quite a bit more and we can build a ring or sphere.
The political will doesn't exist because turning power into water or air doesn't suit the needs of those who run the place.

Germany, only having around 80 million people and being far smaller than the U.S. and having far fewer natural resources produces about the same value in exports as the U.S. And they aren't doing it with massive wheat or corn exports. They must be manufacturing things. That requires electricity. So maybe that's why they pay so much for electric.

Cool story, bro.

Why is their electricity so expensive with all their green energy?
It should be cheaper, right?

They must be manufacturing things. That requires electricity.

We consume over 7 times as much as they do.......DURR

Well then, the Russians paid what they should have paid for it. Unfortunately it ended up costing them FAR more than many nuclear plant would have cost them. So much that they needed international help and financing to try and just contain the damage to some degree. As far as completely fixing the disaster, that is beyond the ability of humanity to do.

Well then, the Russians paid what they should have paid for it.

They paid "cost". That didn't work? LOL!

Unfortunately it ended up costing them FAR more than many nuclear plant would have cost them.

Well, commies do suck.

At our technology level the "ring world" would be solar arrays covering every rural roadway around the world. Connected to a single grid. Such a design would provide more power than we can currently consume without construction and operation harming the environment

LOL!

That's funny.

Would the power be free.....durr.

Yet they are a net exporter of electricity. Interesting.

1631831987820.png

DURR

Cool story, bro.

Why is their electricity so expensive with all their green energy?
It should be cheaper, right?

They must be manufacturing things. That requires electricity.

We consume over 7 times as much as they do.......DURR

As I said, maybe because of the solar panels they use, it is cheaper. Maybe if they didn't have solar panels they would be paying more. It sure as hell would have cost the environment a lot more. Next, I was talking about the yearly value of exports. Germany, a much smaller country with far fewer natural resources and around 83 million people. The U.S., a much larger country with many natural resources and around 330 million people. The yearly value of the U.S. exports? Around 1 trillion, 600 billion. The yearly value of Germany's exports? Around 1 trillion, 400 billion.

As I said, maybe because of the solar panels they use, it is cheaper.

But it's not cheaper, it's the most expensive in the world.

Next, I was talking about the yearly value of exports.

They export a lot, so that's why they have the most expensive electricity in the world?

You're not making any sense.

Germany exports electricity? Tell me more.
FRANKFURT, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Germany saw its electricity export surplus shrink by 46.2% in 2020 to 18.9 terawatt hours (TWh), raising the prospect that its dependency on neighbours could rise in future as it switches off more coal and nuclear power stations, official data showed.

Power exports by Europe’s biggest economy, which shares borders with nine countries, fell 11.6% to 52.5 TWh last year compared with 59.4 TWh in 2019, the energy regulator, called the Bundesnetzagentur, said in a publication on Saturday.

Meanwhile, electricity imports into Germany in 2020 increased by 38.8% to 33.6 TWh, compared with 24.2 TWh in the prior year.

Solar and wind are good but don't forget about hydro-electricity. Excess solar and wind energy can be used to pump water back up to reservoirs above the hydro-electric plant for storage until there is need for its release to generate more electricity.

Such a system is demonstrated here: Types of Hydropower Plants (see 3rd graphic)

And the electricity is more expensive.
An idiot view.

Generation costs zero
Delivery costs zero
Collector maintenance is road maintenance

BUT

Speaking of cost...
Let's go back to Texas where the cost of a few hours of heat this past winter was thousands of dollars.

OH
And the air pollution
Water pollution
Ecological damage from mining fuels

What's the cost there?

Forum List

Back