Pour over Coffee "maker"

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Holy crap! So bought one and an electric water boiler (a must these things make a large cup of water boil in no time)
Used it the first time yesterday - and purposefully bought the same brand/style as we have been using in Keurig.
What a difference. It is MUCH cleaner, 1/4 the aftertaste and I don't need to use half the sugar I have drank for years.
No off taste whatsoever, completely different taste that is so much better.

Holy crap! So bought one and an electric water boiler (a must these things make a large cup of water boil in no time)
Used it the first time yesterday - and purposefully bought the same brand/style as we have been using in Keurig.
What a difference. It is MUCH cleaner, 1/4 the aftertaste and I don't need to use half the sugar I have drank for years.

Thats the way I make it when we go camping.
Or used to before the RV.
Another trick if you like your coffee strong.....sprinkel a pinch of salt over the grounds before pouring the water.
You get strong coffee without the bitterness.

Now that the weather's getting hot it's time to pull this thing out.
It takes a lot of coffee and it takes 24 hours to make it but man is it good!!
1591194512449.png

I've been using a French press for years or an old over the stove percolator.....its clean

No mr coffees ...or millennial k cups

How old fashioned! My grandmother had one of those. Once you pour the water in you can put a wet cloth around the carafe and the water will be faster.

You're right about the sugar.
I can almost forego it altogether and just use a little whole milk to give it a little sweetness.

I've been using a French press for years or an old over the stove percolator.....its clean

I was actually surprised at how good a cup of coffee the Keurig makes.

Stove top percolators are awful!!!!!
You never put boiling water on coffee and thats the only way they work.
On top of that your boiling the coffee over and over as it perculates.

Better than most "Mr. Coffee" style drip makers - yes, I agree. But they all still have the same odd aftertaste if you do not RELIGIOUSLY clean them. Scale/burnt grounds are a real issue with them. And let's face it, virtually no one cleans them like they are supposed to - pain in the ass and it still has burnt coffee remains.

Better than most "Mr. Coffee" style drip makers - yes, I agree. But they all still have the same odd aftertaste if you do not RELIGIOUSLY clean them. Scale/burnt grounds are a real issue with them. And let's face it, virtually no one cleans them like they are supposed to - pain in the ass and it still has burnt coffee remains.

I dont get the burnt coffee taste.
Where would it come from?

The Keurig is a convenience thing for me.

Used to roast my own beans. It's pretty cool getting beans from around the world and trying your hand at roasting them.
Certain beans require certain roast profiles.
Me being a dark coffee fan I found out real quick that when they suggest a light roast they mean it.
Kinda took the fun out of it because there are limited beans that lend themselves to dark roast.
My favorit are the Sumatran beans.

I've got this roaster in stainless..
1591197751850.png

One would think that roasting coffee beans would smell great...but just the opposite is true.
It stinks to high heaven!!!! Kinda smells like you put lawn clippings in the thing.
But I sure learned a lot about beans and how they should react when you put the hot water to em.
If they're fresh when you pour the water you get a bloom from the outgassing. Old coffee will just sit there.

Used to roast my own beans. It's pretty cool getting beans from around the world and trying your hand at roasting them.
Me being a dark coffee fan I found out real quick that when they suggest a light roast they mean it.
Kinda took the fun out of it because there are limited beans that lend themselves to dark roast.

View attachment 344988

One would think that roasting coffee beans would smell great...but just the opposite is true.
It stinks to high heaven!!!! Kinda smells like you put lawn clippings in the thing.
But I sure learned a lot about beans and how they should react when you put the hot water to em.
If they're fresh when you pour the water you get a bloom from the outgassing. Old coffee will just sit there.
I do know that if you don't get the bloom - it is stale coffee

View attachment 344988

I do know that if you don't get the bloom - it is stale coffee

Which pretty much means all store bought pre ground coffee.
The hardest thing for me when roasting my own was the waiting period.
You cant just roast the bean,grind it,and make coffee.
Once roasted there's a resting period of about a week.
While you can make some fantastic coffee it's a waiting game. And I'm one impatient mofo.

Announcement.... cut opening a K-cup and using the grounds absolutely sucks. Makes terrible coffee.

No burnt taste in mine

No burnt taste in mine

Never said it'd taste burnt.
It destroys the more intricate flavors.

I use similar, just a funnel with a base fits over a cup.

Have a French press and like it too.

Have an Italian espresso you do over the gas range, very good but not every day.

Still have my old rangetop Corningware perc. Like them all but the pour over funnel is used most.

Forum List

Back