Poulan chainsaw...some idiot...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...used 30 weight oil as mix gas instead of 2 stroke.

Apparently he used it...it stopped running right and he complained to Ace Hardware corporate and was allowed to return it. It was marked down to $60 and further reduced by 25% so I picked it up for $45 plus a $5 off Ace Rewards coupoun that covered the tax. It had compression so I figured what the heck.

I added a little Poulan 2 stroke oil to the gas and the thing runs and cuts fine.

Here is the question...what damage would running 30 weight instead of 2 stroke mix gas do?

Scored the cylinder maybe? In 30 years of adult life I've never heard of anyone doing that.

P.S. - When I started it the chain brake was engaged. You think it's possible the noob didn't understand the anti-kick chain brake, engaged it by accident and thought the saw was "locked up" :lol:

Last edited:
Was it harbor frieght?
i got a little 2stroke generator there 2 years ago that was returned, and sold for 18.50 by the time i walked out with it. sells for 120. the exhaust was plugged up by what appeared to be melted plastic. probably the packing material. I replaced the muffler and have been using it about 4 hours a week for 2 years.

2 stroke oils have less ash when burned, unlike a 30 wt. crankcase oil. I used 30 wt. once on one of my bikes when I had to when nothing else was available. Repeated use of 30 wt. can, of course, foul the plug, and gum up the fuel and system like no tomorrow. Sounds like you got a deal. Poulan saws are as good as any. I own 2. One a Craftsman branded. I use Bardahl in my saws. Never changed brands.

Apparently he used it...it stopped running right and he complained to Ace Hardware corporate and was allowed to return it. It was marked down to $60 and further reduced by 25% so I picked it up for $45 plus a $5 off Ace Rewards coupoun that covered the tax. It had compression so I figured what the heck.

I added a little Poulan 2 stroke oil to the gas and the thing runs and cuts fine.

Here is the question...what damage would running 30 weight instead of 2 stroke mix gas do?

Scored the cylinder maybe? In 30 years of adult life I've never heard of anyone doing that.

P.S. - When I started it the chain brake was engaged. You think it's possible the noob didn't understand the anti-kick chain brake, engaged it by accident and thought the saw was "locked up" :lol:
It won't hurt it.

By the way, what model Poulan is it? I have a Poulan Pro 18 and a Craftsman 14 inch.

Was it harbor frieght?
i got a little 2stroke generator there 2 years ago that was returned, and sold for 18.50 by the time i walked out with it. sells for 120. the exhaust was plugged up by what appeared to be melted plastic. probably the packing material. I replaced the muffler and have been using it about 4 hours a week for 2 years.

No...this was Ace Hardware. Super nice bargain on that gennie. :thup:

By the way, what model Poulan is it? I have a Poulan Pro 18 and a Craftsman 14 inch.
It is a P3314. I have another Poulan in the shed...an older one...can't remember what model...but it needs a carb rebuild. It's on the list. I have a 1200cc vw and a 300 inline ford to rebuild before I'm even close to that.:D

It is a P3314. I have another Poulan in the shed...an older one...can't remember what model...but it needs a carb rebuild. It's on the list. I have a 1200cc vw and a 300 inline ford to rebuild before I'm even close to that.:D
The newer models have horizontal cylinder configs, I believe? My old 14" is vertical. Have fun.

I get my mechanic to fill a two and a half gallon jug with used oil every year. That's what I use for bar oil. 2-cycle only in the engine. Flip the bar monthly or so and scrape the crap out of the slot with a small screwdriver. Everything will last longer, run truer. Don't do like my mom did and put gas in the tractor. No!

I get my mechanic to fill a two and a half gallon jug with used oil every year. That's what I use for bar oil. 2-cycle only in the engine. Flip the bar monthly or so and scrape the crap out of the slot with a small screwdriver. Everything will last longer, run truer. Don't do like my mom did and put gas in the tractor. No!
Used motor oil is crappy bar oil because it's not sticky enough to do the job well. A false economy but better than nothing.

It works just fine for my purposes. Probably use more but the price is right.
You're welcome to come here and haul away my used oil. I would save me from having to haul it down to town and getting rid of it myself. I tend to accumulate a lot of as I do my own oil changes and having a tractor around doesn't help matters.
Quenching oil..you might need it.

Used motor oil is crappy bar oil because it's not sticky enough to do the job well. A false economy but better than nothing.

Whatever, numbnuts. Bar oil is $11/gal and it just slings off into the air. I always run used motor oil.

Forum List

Back