Posting photos

Would have to really go out of your way to avoid identifying stuff leaking like. Anything unique to a user could be searched for making any such measures redundant. Any unique quote or image used here, if on a FB profile as well could yield real-world ID for example. And though I don't know how, have heard you can do similar searches for images via some site or search string.

Would have to really go out of your way to avoid identifying stuff leaking like. Anything unique to a user could be searched for making any such measures redundant. Any unique quote or image used here, if on a FB profile as well could yield real-world ID for example. And though I don't know how, have heard you can do similar searches for images via some site or search string.

I once had the bad luck of attracting the attention of a real scum bag rw cyber-stalker so I learned my lesson the hard way. So, now, I'm very careful.

Its actually so very easy to find a whole hell of a lot of very personal and identifying info from the most innocent of posts.

But, apparently, the some posters don't mind.

Fact is, they haven't a clue about what info they're giving out.

Photo recognition software. You can track someone if you have their pic. If they have a driver's license, it's not that hard. Law enforcement agencies do it all the time.

Photobucket bought out TinyPic. I like Tiny Pic because there are no names to the pics..just letters and numbers. Whether they can see the rest of my stuff, I don't think so cuz I have it set to not searchable. I CAN post a pic though. I just don't know what else they can see.

Anyone that posts on FB is....really putting their personal info..and their real families..and their friends...in the hands of a man that started off as a hacker and a thief as well. I just don't get it why so many trust that place.

Anyone that posts on FB is....really putting their personal info..and their real families..and their friends...in the hands of a man that started off as a hacker and a thief as well. I just don't get it why so many trust that place.

Agree.

Its idiotic to give away so much personal info on live. Your name, city, address, children's names, your profession, address of your business and on and on.

You learn this stuff when you have a stalker.

For those who think its not important, go look at how many non-members read this forum. Are you sure you want ALL of those people to have that info about you?

I doubt that people have any clue how much they give out to thousands of people but if they did, would they stop posting photos?

Not to mention that you give away all rights to your own photos.

Read the fine print folx.

**shrug**

Agree.

Its idiotic to give away so much personal info on live. Your name, city, address, children's names, your profession, address of your business and on and on.

For those who think its not important, go look at how many non-members read this forum. Are you sure you want ALL of those people to have that info about you?

I doubt that people have any clue how much they give out to thousands of people but if they did, would they stop posting photos?

**shrug**

Just in the last few weeks I've PMed two different posters who put up pictures that had their actual names right there visible in the pic. One of them I had to actually convince it was a bad idea before she took it down. Which I found very naive. You hate to see people learn the hard way.

Agree.

**shrug**

Just in the last few weeks I've PMed two different posters who put up pictures that had their actual names right there visible in the pic. One of them I had to actually convince it was a bad idea before she took it down. Which I found very naive. You hate to see people learn the hard way.
I ran across an article on a couple of recent lawsuits that could change whether people can continue to post anywhere online anonymously. There were an equal number of people on each side of the comments though, as I recall, and I've heard nothing since.

A good policy is to "do your best. Leave to Heaven the rest." :)

imvho.

Agree.

**shrug**

Some posters actually use their real full name as their USMB name. I guess if you have a common name (like John Smith) you could probably get away with it. However, I would never do it, I also do not have a FB account.

Agree.

**shrug**

I ran across an article on a couple of recent lawsuits that could change whether people can continue to post anywhere online anonymously. There were an equal number of people on each side of the comments though, as I recall, and I've heard nothing since.

imvho.
Fully agree. We'll just have to do the best we can while not revealing our identities online. I just make sure to be extra careful with my posts to avoid getting into hot water if I were ever required to reveal my identity by a court of law.

Here's a related case:

A Virginia court has ordered Yelp to reveal the identities of the anonymous authors of seven negative reviews
The reviews were left for local business Hadeed's Carpet Cleaning
Owner Joe Hadeed cannot match the reviews to customers and says he believes the author/s were never clients of his business
If that is true, the reviewer/s are not protected under the First Amendment and also violated the terms of Yelp
Hadeed intends to sue the author/s for defamation

Court orders Yelp to reveal anonymous reviewers' identities in defamation case | Mail Online

Agree.

**shrug**

imvho.
There is no law against lying unless another law is broken thereby. You are free to call yourself anything you wish regardless of your real name...unless the purpose is to circumvent a law or to obstruct a legal investigation.

Its not just the decision of posting one's own name, its where that name leads. I've seen photos that led directly to one's home and business address, photos of spouses and even names and locations of very young children.

To say this board is very contentious is putting it mildly. There are a lot of angry and hate-filled people posting here but look at the number of lurkers.

No way would I be willing to give out so much personal and identifying information to people like that.

Are my fellow posters really that fearful of being identified in real life?

That's trulypathetic..

How seriously can any of us take the thoughts of people who don't have the balls to stand behind their own words?

If you're a NAZI or a ZIONIST or any of the many lunatic POVs we find posted here BE PROUD OF IT, or don't waste our time.

No wonder this place is TROLL center.

Anonymous posting encourages liars and cowards to spew this childish shit, insult others and then run away into the dark.

Last edited:

That's trulypathetic..

How seriously can any of us take the thoughts of people who don't have the balls to stand behind their own words?

If you're a NAZI or a ZIONIST or any of the many lunatic POVs we find posted here BE PROUD OF IT, or don't waste our time.

Anonymous posting encourages liars and cowards to spew this childish shit, insult others and then run away into the dark.

Hey, if they're that stupid, I don't really care.

But, as I wrote above, what about when they stupidly and inadvertently identify the names and addresses of their spouses, children, grand children.

I've seen that on this board.

Endanger yourself if you want but not others.

That's trulypathetic..

This has squat to do with standing behind one's words. It has to do with identity theft and stalking, as well as aggressive marketing, even government snooping.

One has a handle to represent one's identity here; that's a constant. My handle stands behind my words. That doesn't mean I'm giving carte blanche to stalkers and spies. If I wanted that world I'd join that voyeur site, Nosebook or whatever that Fuckerberg scumsucker calls it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back