Postal Service asks Congress to allow 120,000 layoffs, remove Union benefits

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Postal Service asks Congress to allow 120,000 layoffs, overhaul benefits

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hundreds of thousands of postal workers could soon lose their jobs, or face drastic changes to their benefits.

According to documents obtained by CNNMoney, the United States Postal Service is appealing to Congress to remove collective bargaining restrictions in order to lay off 120,000 workers. It also wants congressional approval to replace existing government health care and retirement plans.

Postal Service urges Congress to allow layoffs, cut benefits - Aug. 11, 2011

Wouldn't it be easier and less controversial just to raise the price of a stamp?
According to the Household Diary Summary, UPS receivies about 15% less mail each year. Most of it is advertisements. Raisig the price of stamps, as usual, will only serve to cause a quicker decline in volume. Give it another 10 years and we'll probably see UPS become virtually non-existant. Most people use email, text messaging, and social media to communicate these days. The layoffs seem more reasonable to me.

I'd post a link but I'm still under 15 posts and am not permitted yet.

Last edited:
That sounds like one hum-drum conundrum. A catch 22.
On the rare occasion I've had to go to the post office, most of those standing in line are elderly. IF most people using UPS are elderly... (and it's not just where I live in Indiana) I might not be far off on my prediction of a virtually non-existant UPS in 10 years when these people die off.

Last edited:
I guess we could use this as an example for those that think (see the; They have lost their fucking minds, full stop period thread) that the gov. is capable of managing Jobs as in a gov. entity delivering a simple service that employs workers etc., this is a failure of that model.

The closer the gov. is to an entity the greater they screw it up.

That sounds like one hum-drum conundrum. A catch 22.
On the rare occasion I've had to go to the post office, most of those standing in line are elderly. IF most people using UPS are elderly... (and it's not just where I live in Indiana) I might not be far off on my prediction of a virtually non-existant UPS in 10 years when these people die off.

I guess we can blame Al Gore for “inventing the internet” and making it so the post office is obsolete. :eusa_eh:

The only place I see the post office regularly busy is on post. Where spouses are sending packages to their loved ones. When in town, there are no more lines, unless there is only one clerk which is becoming the norm, I assume because they do not have enough money to pay more than one.

CaféAuLait;3991066 said:
Postal Service asks Congress to allow 120,000 layoffs, overhaul benefits

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hundreds of thousands of postal workers could soon lose their jobs, or face drastic changes to their benefits.

According to documents obtained by CNNMoney, the United States Postal Service is appealing to Congress to remove collective bargaining restrictions in order to lay off 120,000 workers. It also wants congressional approval to replace existing government health care and retirement plans.

Postal Service urges Congress to allow layoffs, cut benefits - Aug. 11, 2011

I'm crying a RIVER over this one--LOL About time.

The post office is a wayyyyyyyy anachronistic government service which should have been ended decades ago. Every year that passes makes it more obsolete. They had a $8 billion defict last fiscal year. Enough. Euthanasia is in order.

Government should subsidize and maintain the Postal Service. It is a valuable and revered American institution. Get rid of the DEA and the BATF instead. Both are unnecessary and counterproductive. They do more harm than good.

So is this another example of smaller government creating jobs?

:lol::lol::lol:

No. It's another example of an organization that cannot handle the irrational demands of a labor union. UPS can't afford it's union labor. They gotta change.

With the Dept of Labor functions, we no longer have a need for unions.

Ya, third world countries don't have Unions

3rd world countries don't have a lot of shit.

But we have the Dept of Labor. It does the job of what unions once did. Now, unions aren't needed, they only bankrupt us.

Government should subsidize and maintain the Postal Service. It is a valuable and revered American institution. Get rid of the DEA and the BATF instead. Both are unnecessary and counterproductive. They do more harm than good.

How about privatize USPS, not subsidize?

Ya, third world countries don't have Unions

3rd world countries don't have a lot of shit.

But we have the Dept of Labor. It does the job of what unions once did. Now, unions aren't needed, they only bankrupt us.
The Dept of Labor in nothing like a Union, you know there was a time when all this worked just fine.

Forum List

Back