Poroshenko committed to imposing martial law for all of Ukraine if ceasefire fails

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
Holy freaking toledo! What have our governments done backing this coup that has led us to where we are now!

This son of a bitch is looking to declare martial law not just in the east if the ceasefire fails but across all of the Ukraine.

I want to bazooka barf. He said it before he went to the peace talks and he's said it again. Unreal.

I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy here.

"Speaking in Kiev on Saturday afternoon, Poroshenko said his government would take urgent measures if the Minsk agreement collapsed.

“If there is no peace, we may have to take the decision to impose martial law,” he said. “In this event, martial law will be imposed not only in the Donetsk and Luhansk (regions), but across the whole country.”

Both sides claim violations after Ukraine cease-fire starts - Breitbart

Here's from before the peace talks. Wow. Just wow.

Ukraine crisis President Petro Poroshenko warns he is ready to impose martial law as he arrives in Belarus for talks - Europe - World - The Independent

Ukraine crisis: President Petro Poroshenko warns he is ready to impose martial law as he arrives in Belarus for talks

The martial law might make sense if it is to make sure no lone wolves decide to start trouble. There is an ultra-national group who call themselves the Right Sector who will not even acknowledge the ceasefire. I do not know what the motives behind Poroshenko's statement is. I expect if the ceasefire fails it's going out with a bang. Poroshenko, Putin, and Merkel were on the phone earlier today which I view as a very good sign. Some are far from giving up the effort however.

The martial law might make sense if it is to make sure no lone wolves decide to start trouble. There is an ultra-national group who call themselves the Right Sector who will not even acknowledge the ceasefire. I do not know what the motives behind Poroshenko's statement is. I expect if the ceasefire fails it's going out with a bang. Poroshenko, Putin, and Merkel were on the phone earlier today which I view as a very good sign. Some are far from giving up the effort however.
Not sure where you get this information about Right Sector whose fighting force is known as the Azov Battalion. They have agreed to comply with the cease fire, are under control of the Ukraine Ministry of Defense as a National Guard unit and currently deployed in Mariupol where all reports indicate the cease fire is being observed.

Not sure where you get this information about Right Sector whose fighting force is known as the Azov Battalion. They have agreed to comply with the cease fire, are under control of the Ukraine Ministry of Defense as a National Guard unit and currently deployed in Mariupol where all reports indicate the cease fire is being observed.
MINA Breaking News
Friday, 13 February 2015
And yet, one element that is certain to undermine any deal, in addition to the now usual suspects because after all this is a proxy civil war with far greater geopolitical interests involved, is Ukraine’s ultranationalistic Right Sector, whose leader Dmitry Yarosh today said his radical movement rejects the Minsk peace deal and that their paramilitary units in eastern Ukraine will continue “active fighting" according to their "own plans."​

We might be talking about two separate groups however. This paragraph mentions Azov Battalion and Right Sector but does not mention Dmitry Yarosh.
Azov Battalion - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
The battalion's commander is Andriy Biletsky (Ukrainian: Андрій Білецький)</ref> In the beginning, Azov was the Ministry of Internal Affairs special police company, led by Volodymyr Shpara (Ukrainian: Володимир Шпара), the leader of the Vasylkiv's Patriot of Ukraine and Right Sector organizations in the Kiev region.[11][12][13] Biletsky stayed out of the public spotlight working on expanding Azov to battalion size. In summer 2014 he took the command of the unit in his own hands; Shpara remained in the battalion as the commander of the 1st Company. Biletsky is also the head of two neo-Nazi political groups, Patriot of Ukraine and Social-National Assembly.[14] In August, 2014, he was awarded a military decoration, "Order For Courage" by Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko, and promoted to lieutenant colonel of in the Interior Ministry's police forces.[15]

Forum List

Back