POLL: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

POLL: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
If the native Americans community is offend by the name then I would say yes. I’m not sure where stand on it. Either way I don’t think a name change for a sports team is going to do all that much to change the world.

Native Americans invented the name and to this day use it for the name of High School sports teams on Native American reservations.

They should change their owner first.
But yes, the tide has turned against the Redskin name

It does not honor Native American heritage
The term has a long history as a slur

The term was created by Native Americans and is used by Native Americans to this day for the name of sports teams and other things. Why would so many Native American High Schools use the name if it was a racial slur?
Got a link for that?

The term was created by Native Americans and is used by Native Americans to this day for the name of sports teams and other things. Why would so many Native American High Schools use the name if it was a racial slur?
Got a link for that?

Documents from the colonial period indicate that the use of "red" as an identifier by Native Americans for themselves emerged in the context of Indian-European diplomacy in the southeastern region of North America, before later being adopted by Europeans and becoming a generic label for all Native Americans.[9]:627–28

Linguistic evidence indicates that, while some tribes may have used red to refer to themselves during the Pre-Columbian era based upon their origin stories,[9]:634 the general use of the term was in response to meeting people who called themselves "white" and their slaves "black".[9]:629 The choice of red rather than other colors may have been due to cultural associations, rather than skin color.[9]:632 Red and white were a dichotomy that had pervasive symbolic meanings in southeastern Native cultures which was less prevalent among northern tribes.[9]:632 While there was occasional use of "red" in Indian-European diplomacy in the northeast, it was still rare there even after it had become common in the southeast. Instead, "Indian" was translated into the native languages there as "men", "real people", or "original people".[9]:629–30 Usage in the northeast region by Europeans may have been largely limited to descriptions of tribes such as the Beothuk of Newfoundland, whose practice of painting their bodies and possessions with red ochre led Europeans to refer to them as "Red Indians".[10]

Redskin - Wikipedia Then go to "red as a racial identifier" which is where the above info comes from.

As for Native Americans use of the term today, go to the youtube link that was posted on the first page of this thread.

Got a link for that?

Documents from the colonial period indicate that the use of "red" as an identifier by Native Americans for themselves emerged in the context of Indian-European diplomacy in the southeastern region of North America, before later being adopted by Europeans and becoming a generic label for all Native Americans.[9]:627–28

Linguistic evidence indicates that, while some tribes may have used red to refer to themselves during the Pre-Columbian era based upon their origin stories,[9]:634 the general use of the term was in response to meeting people who called themselves "white" and their slaves "black".[9]:629 The choice of red rather than other colors may have been due to cultural associations, rather than skin color.[9]:632 Red and white were a dichotomy that had pervasive symbolic meanings in southeastern Native cultures which was less prevalent among northern tribes.[9]:632 While there was occasional use of "red" in Indian-European diplomacy in the northeast, it was still rare there even after it had become common in the southeast. Instead, "Indian" was translated into the native languages there as "men", "real people", or "original people".[9]:629–30 Usage in the northeast region by Europeans may have been largely limited to descriptions of tribes such as the Beothuk of Newfoundland, whose practice of painting their bodies and possessions with red ochre led Europeans to refer to them as "Red Indians".[10]

Redskin - Wikipedia Then go to "red as a racial identifier" which is where the above info comes from.

As for Native Americans use of the term today, go to the youtube link that was posted on the first page of this thread.
thanks

So we are talking 300 years ago

Since that time, “Redskin” has been used derisively to describe Native Americans

I voted yes for similar reason I've felt the Cleveland Indians should change theirs. I've been a fan of the Tribe since the late 1950's and didn't think anything about the name and Chief Wahoo until I moved to Arizona at age of 27. Ever since I have sensed a disconnect between the city and its team's nickname. The settlers of Cleveland drove the native people out. So it isn't the case of trying to honor a local heritage, like say the Minnesota Vikings.

Even as a kid in the 1960s, I used to think the Chief Wahoo mascot was grotesque

1594318708556.jpeg

I voted yes for similar reason I've felt the Cleveland Indians should change theirs. I've been a fan of the Tribe since the late 1950's and didn't think anything about the name and Chief Wahoo until I moved to Arizona at age of 27. Ever since I have sensed a disconnect between the city and its team's nickname. The settlers of Cleveland drove the native people out. So it isn't the case of trying to honor a local heritage, like say the Minnesota Vikings.
Apparently you’ve never been outside Sun City. If you had you would have noticed every vehicle on the reservations have Redskins, Chiefs, Braves or Indians stickers on them.

You speak with forked tongue. Completely opposite side of the Valley and less than 5 miles north of the reservation.

Got a link for that?

thanks

So we are talking 300 years ago

Since that time, “Redskin” has been used derisively to describe Native Americans

Can you show me a video of someone using the term Redskin to derisively describe a Native American?

If it is a slur and used to derisively describe Native Americans, why do dozens of Native American sports teams and schools use the name?

POLL: Should the Washington Redskins change their name? Yes or No?

I say NO. The name Redskins is not racist and has been the team name since 1933, 87 years now. It is a tiny minority of people that are using the current climate to manipulate the situation to bring about a name change. No one ever had a problem with the name until 1968 during a time when liberals across the country were revolting against anything and everything. Since then its been a minority of people that have considered the name racist and demanded a name change. We can't a allow tiny vocal minorities to control what we think and how we live. The organization and team have always honored Native Americans which is why the name, colors, and mascot were chosen.

This poll and topic is connected to the larger questions about what is considered "racist", who gets to decide, what are Americans allowed to honor about their history and past with statues and names of places. It might make sense in certain cases to change names or remove statues depending on who they are and what they represent in the context of American history and the present time. But to remove and destroy everything that anyone finds the least bit offensive for the most outlandish of reasons would be a terrible mistake.

Please just vote once. I made a mistake that allowed for multiple voting, but I can't edit it out.
I don't see the "I don't give a fuck. I hate the foreskins" option.

ou could look it up. But then if you did you'd have confirmation you're an idiot.

I did. You're still full of crap.

Redskin is a racist term.. Always has been.
Then why do Native Americans use the name for dozens of Sports teams, schools, and other things in their communities?

Who says its a racist term? Do you have a clear example on video of it being used in a negative racial context?

Just because a minority of people view something is immoral or racist, does not make it so.

Even as a kid in the 1960s, I used to think the Chief Wahoo mascot was grotesque

View attachment 361392
That’s because you were a dumb faggot. You still are.

The NFL and its sponsors are no longer comfortable with the name so it really does not matter what the regular fan thinks or feels. Money talks.

The NFL and its sponsors are no longer comfortable with the name so it really does not matter what the regular fan thinks or feels. Money talks.
It can matter if the fans speak out with their wallets. But as long as rich litigious get free tickets to the press box then nothing will change. Professional sports if for rich people now.

Forum List

Back