POLL: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

POLL: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

U2Edge

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
POLL: Should the Washington Redskins change their name? Yes or No?

I say NO. The name Redskins is not racist and has been the team name since 1933, 87 years now. It is a tiny minority of people that are using the current climate to manipulate the situation to bring about a name change. No one ever had a problem with the name until 1968 during a time when liberals across the country were revolting against anything and everything. Since then its been a minority of people that have considered the name racist and demanded a name change. We can't a allow tiny vocal minorities to control what we think and how we live. The organization and team have always honored Native Americans which is why the name, colors, and mascot were chosen.

This poll and topic is connected to the larger questions about what is considered "racist", who gets to decide, what are Americans allowed to honor about their history and past with statues and names of places. It might make sense in certain cases to change names or remove statues depending on who they are and what they represent in the context of American history and the present time. But to remove and destroy everything that anyone finds the least bit offensive for the most outlandish of reasons would be a terrible mistake.

Please just vote once. I made a mistake that allowed for multiple voting, but I can't edit it out.

What about the city name, "Washington". Hasn't he been cancelled? Will the city change it's name?

This rabbit hole runs deep...

I was not even thinking about that. But obviously, given the climate, there is some tiny minority out there that would demand that as well. With this logic, nothing will be safe. You'll have the names of all kinds of places being changed every year and only lasting as long until one tiny minority group claims that is offensive for some outlandish reason.

The Navajo are proud of the name. However they didn't know they were "supposed to be offended."

Having said that, just change it. We are pissing in the wind with the issue.

However, none of these issues has anything to do with RACISM.

We know what this is about.

Or they could change their mascot to a peanut. But yeah, how was it not changes like 30 years ago :rolleyes:

I voted yes for similar reason I've felt the Cleveland Indians should change theirs. I've been a fan of the Tribe since the late 1950's and didn't think anything about the name and Chief Wahoo until I moved to Arizona at age of 27. Ever since I have sensed a disconnect between the city and its team's nickname. The settlers of Cleveland drove the native people out. So it isn't the case of trying to honor a local heritage, like say the Minnesota Vikings.

I voted yes for similar reason I've felt the Cleveland Indians should change theirs. I've been a fan of the Tribe since the late 1950's and didn't think anything about the name and Chief Wahoo until I moved to Arizona at age of 27. Ever since I have sensed a disconnect between the city and its team's nickname. The settlers of Cleveland drove the native people out. So it isn't the case of trying to honor a local heritage, like say the Minnesota Vikings.
When the redskins changed their name, their coach and many players were native Americans.
Might want to actually know what you are talking about. Their backstory is nothing like what you posted.

It's up to the owners....

Football teams don't usually name their team after something that is weak... Buccaneers, Patriots, Jets, Rams, Cowboys, ......Redskins....

I think it was never meant as an insult... but as a symbol of toughness, strength.... imho.

POLL: Should the Washington Redskins change their name? Yes or No?

I say NO. The name Redskins is not racist and has been the team name since 1933, 87 years now. It is a tiny minority of people that are using the current climate to manipulate the situation to bring about a name change. No one ever had a problem with the name until 1968 during a time when liberals across the country were revolting against anything and everything. Since then its been a minority of people that have considered the name racist and demanded a name change. We can't a allow tiny vocal minorities to control what we think and how we live. The organization and team have always honored Native Americans which is why the name, colors, and mascot were chosen.

This poll and topic is connected to the larger questions about what is considered "racist", who gets to decide, what are Americans allowed to honor about their history and past with statues and names of places. It might make sense in certain cases to change names or remove statues depending on who they are and what they represent in the context of American history and the present time. But to remove and destroy everything that anyone finds the least bit offensive for the most outlandish of reasons would be a terrible mistake.

Please just vote once. I made a mistake that allowed for multiple voting, but I can't edit it out.
I am of a decent percentage cherokee. Does not bother me. Seems like a tribute to the worrior life style to me. I do not show up to tribal stuff as I was not aware of the heritage until recently so I can not speak for how the actual tribe feels about it but I would think they would feel the same.

It's up to the owners....

Football teams don't usually name their team after something that is weak... Buccaneers, Patriots, Jets, Rams, Cowboys, ......Redskins....

I think it was never meant as an insult... but as a symbol of toughness, strength.... imho.

The Navajo were not offended and they actually take pride in the name and see it for what it always was.

Thank you care.

I voted yes. Putting myself in the owner's shoes, yes, because the owner need to put this controversy to rest and concentrate on more important things.

I think they should change their name to The Washington Pussies. Women (and girly-men) can wear their pussy hats and protest Trump and then go straight to a Washington Pussies game.

Forum List

Back