Poll: Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

• Total voters
I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?
Actually---federal election for president means federal rules.

Really? Proof? Link?
when did we change our bill of rights to a bill of needs?

States have their own Constitution and laws - including election laws.
you earlier said no one needs a weapon of war
Since you never responded back I asked you when did we change the bill of rights to a bill of needs?

Liar! I never said that.
here you go So when did we change from a bill of rights to a bill of needs?
There is no need for civilians being armed with assault weapons at polling places - especially militia types.

SCOTUS had to stop the counting in Bush v. Gore or they would still be counting votes. Recounting ballots is an old path to fraud

They recounted until they had enough votes to put Bush over the top and then stopped.

STFU foreigner, every independent count that was conducted after the election proved Bush won.

The Push To Allow Guns At Polling Places Is Straightforward Voter Intimidation

There is no reason for open carry of guns at the polls except to intimidate voters, which is a federal crime.

There is an unmistakable effort underway to intimidate voters — specifically Democratic voters — when they go to the polls. The president himself has repeatedly threatened to send law enforcement to voting locations to hunt for supposed voter fraud, while more organic efforts include bullhorns, honking cars with Trump flags, and shouting confrontations directed at people lined up at early polling stations in blue or purple areas.

Bringing and displaying weapons at voting sites is one facet of potential intimidation that’s emerged in the weeks leading up to Election Day. There is an organized push from right-wing groups to show up at the polls with guns: a development election officials fear will create an unsafe environment for other voters to cast their ballots. In one swing state, an effort to limit the presence of guns at polling locations was met with a court fight and a standoff between the state’s election officials and some members of law enforcement.

Each state has specific laws around whether guns are permitted at voting locations — but only about a dozen states explicitly ban open and/or concealed carry of firearms at the polls. The legality of bringing a gun to vote can hinge on a technicality, like whether the polling place is a church, school or government building.

But the legal wrangling over who is allowed to arm themselves at which polling locations obscures a more straightforward point: voter intimidation is a federal crime everywhere in the U.S., and many voters would feel intimidated by visibly armed people at their polling places.

Do not allow Trump supporters to intimidate you at the polls. Stand your ground and cast your vote. Voting is probably the greatest and most sacred constitutional right that we have.
One of the business papers--I think businessweek says to expect violence on polling day---I wouldn't go without my gun at this point but I have already voted.

The TX governor is prepositioning NG, just in case the commies start any shit.

Well, the poll is now tied at 12 each. So much for states' rights. Looks like the Trumpers are now embracing the federal government over state government. Interesting...
states have laws it's a shame they must be force to obey them

Funny. States are trying to obey their own election laws - but Trump is pushing SCOTUS to swoop down on them on election night before all valid ballots are counted.

That's a lie. Oh and where's the link you keep demanding of others?

I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?
Actually---federal election for president means federal rules.

Really? Proof? Link?
They answer to the supreme court do they not? Federal rules..

and no Barrett isnt going to recuse herself.

Definitely not.
The federal government does not run the elections process, like establishing polling places, parties selecting candidates, who can vote, etc.
The only federal rules over elections are the 12th amendment.

{...
Passed by Congress December 9, 1803. Ratified June 15, 1804. The 12th Amendment changed a portion of Article II, Section 1. A portion of the 12th Amendment was changed by the 20th Amendment

The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate; -- The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;

-- The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.-- The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.
...}
As I said the US supreme court is going to have the final say-------------

There is no reason for open carry of guns at the polls except to intimidate voters, which is a federal crime.

There is an unmistakable effort underway to intimidate voters — specifically Democratic voters — when they go to the polls. The president himself has repeatedly threatened to send law enforcement to voting locations to hunt for supposed voter fraud, while more organic efforts include bullhorns, honking cars with Trump flags, and shouting confrontations directed at people lined up at early polling stations in blue or purple areas.

Bringing and displaying weapons at voting sites is one facet of potential intimidation that’s emerged in the weeks leading up to Election Day. There is an organized push from right-wing groups to show up at the polls with guns: a development election officials fear will create an unsafe environment for other voters to cast their ballots. In one swing state, an effort to limit the presence of guns at polling locations was met with a court fight and a standoff between the state’s election officials and some members of law enforcement.

Each state has specific laws around whether guns are permitted at voting locations — but only about a dozen states explicitly ban open and/or concealed carry of firearms at the polls. The legality of bringing a gun to vote can hinge on a technicality, like whether the polling place is a church, school or government building.

But the legal wrangling over who is allowed to arm themselves at which polling locations obscures a more straightforward point: voter intimidation is a federal crime everywhere in the U.S., and many voters would feel intimidated by visibly armed people at their polling places.

Do not allow Trump supporters to intimidate you at the polls. Stand your ground and cast your vote. Voting is probably the greatest and most sacred constitutional right that we have.
One of the business papers--I think businessweek says to expect violence on polling day---I wouldn't go without my gun at this point but I have already voted.

Something needs to be done--------don't think being out in public Nov 3 or thereafter is a safe ideal. It's a crazy world out there now.

Something needs to be done--------don't think being out in public Nov 3 or thereafter is a safe ideal. It's a crazy world out there now.

Yep, but I won't allow it to prevent me from doing what needs to be done, I've carried every day since Mar.

Republicans only care about states rights when it fits their narrative. They think like children. It’s impossible to take them seriously as adults.

Yep.....you only want them to keep counting so you can give them time to win after they lost on election night.

Really? Where did I say that? I just want ALL valid ballots counted according to respective state laws. California allows about 17 days.
Since it's clear that California is a criminal state which breaks our immigration laws....I don't think they can be trusted to be honest about anything else, much less election laws.

Republicans only care about states rights when it fits their narrative. They think like children. It’s impossible to take them seriously as adults.
Republicans care about states rights...until corrupt Democrats take over those states and start breaking federal laws.

You FUCKING MORONS! Congress establishes the DATE of the election. The states conduct the election. The Election Date is November 3, NOT whenever the Democrats stop manufacturing votes.

Fact is a majority of States have early voting and many people know November 3rd is the last day of official voting...

If someone mails their ballot in on November 4th or their ballot is received on November 4th then it should be rejected because everyone know when the last day of voting is and if they do not know it then they shouldn’t be voting...

Never had you for a state's rights guy.

Never had you for a state's rights guy.
She's not

My view is simple. You’re a leftist. That means you’re deranged. So whatever your opinion on this is, mine will be the opposite. Thank you for your poll.

The idiocy of right wing voters. The left are wrong. The left are always wrong. Anything you say is wrong. Even when you have proof that you're correct, I will oppose anything you say.

This is why the USA is in the mess they're in now. Because you oppose anything the other side says, just because a leftist said it. Not because you've look at any ideas and discussed their merits, because you don't. You look at who said it and oppose anything the other side proposes, while supporting the toxic policies that have destroyed your economy.
Please stop interfering in our elections

I'm not "interfering in your elections". Pointing out ignorance, stupidity, and partisanship is hardly "interfering". I'm not lying about who I am, or pretending to be someone other than a Canadian commenting on a public message board.
Public US Messageboard and spreading your leftist propaganda and bad mouthing our President. You are evil and you are interfering.

It is impossible to bad mouth your President. You elected a lying conman. A known criminal who was on trial for fraud when you elected him. Since then he has amply demonostrated his total incompetence in running the economy, the pandemic, and starting multiple trade wars, for which there has been no resolution.

Other than taking credit for Obama's economy and running it right into a ditch, Trump has succeeded in cozying up to and emboldening your enemies, and alienating your friends, Trump is facing multiple lawsuits and criminal charges for tax fraud, defrauding his niece and nephew, slander, not to mention campaign finance violation, and questions about what happened to inauguration fund.

Then there's the recent reports that Trump knew that separating families would permanently damage the children, that they would have no way of reuniting the children with their parents, and that it was illegal, and they did it anyway.
This is already settled law. In 2000 the Supreme Court stopped Gore in Florida and ended the bullshit. As you Gals would say with Roe v Wade, it's done and settled.

It's not "settled law" or anything of the kind. It was a stand alone case and no precedent was established. You right wing idiots parrot things you've heard like "settled law" with no idea of what it is. It just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

My view is simple. You’re a leftist. That means you’re deranged. So whatever your opinion on this is, mine will be the opposite. Thank you for your poll.

The idiocy of right wing voters. The left are wrong. The left are always wrong. Anything you say is wrong. Even when you have proof that you're correct, I will oppose anything you say.

This is why the USA is in the mess they're in now. Because you oppose anything the other side says, just because a leftist said it. Not because you've look at any ideas and discussed their merits, because you don't. You look at who said it and oppose anything the other side proposes, while supporting the toxic policies that have destroyed your economy.

I'm not "interfering in your elections". Pointing out ignorance, stupidity, and partisanship is hardly "interfering". I'm not lying about who I am, or pretending to be someone other than a Canadian commenting on a public message board.
Public US Messageboard and spreading your leftist propaganda and bad mouthing our President. You are evil and you are interfering.

It is impossible to bad mouth your President. You elected a lying conman. A known criminal who was on trial for fraud when you elected him. Since then he has amply demonostrated his total incompetence in running the economy, the pandemic, and starting multiple trade wars, for which there has been no resolution.

Other than taking credit for Obama's economy and running it right into a ditch, Trump has succeeded in cozying up to and emboldening your enemies, and alienating your friends, Trump is facing multiple lawsuits and criminal charges for tax fraud, defrauding his niece and nephew, slander, not to mention campaign finance violation, and questions about what happened to inauguration fund.

Then there's the recent reports that Trump knew that separating families would permanently damage the children, that they would have no way of reuniting the children with their parents, and that it was illegal, and they did it anyway.
This is already settled law. In 2000 the Supreme Court stopped Gore in Florida and ended the bullshit. As you Gals would say with Roe v Wade, it's done and settled.

It's not "settled law" or anything of the kind. It was a stand alone case and no precedent was established. You right wing idiots parrot things you've heard like "settled law" with no idea of what it is. It just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.
Miserable hag.

Miserable hag.
Now you know why she's a FUNT.

I am using your Dim phrases. I know you hate that shit. You know....Global Warming is "settled science.". :lol:. Roe v Wade is " settled law."

Now that conservatives control the Supreme Court for the next generation as least, you'll be hearing the term "settled law" a lot. Get used to it butter cup. :D

Forum List

Back