POLL: Open the economy up and go back to work - Stay home and shutdown

Do you support reopening many US businesses 4/13/20, or prefer keeping the US shutdown longer

• Yes, Re-open the US economy such as small businesses to keep them from going bankrupt

Votes: 92 69.2%
  • No, do not open up small or big US businesses, COVID-19 is too dangerous to rush opening

Votes: 41 30.8%

• Total voters
I've always been attracted to the upper quintile, albeit them usually being social outcasts , and what i've noted is they may be God's in whatever they do best, but often lack the simple down to earth common sense to apply it toward the rest of their existence

~S~
But you cant have it both ways
Kind of like what they did in 2008, where all the working folks got kind of screwed.
Consider it the government paying you to STAY HOME, just as we paid soldiers to go overseas and fight Nazi's in foreign countries in World War II
As I said before, the ESSENTIAL SERVICES ECONOMY IS BOOMING RIGHT NOW. Its never been a better time to be employed in the production and distribution of FOOD and MEDICINE!
I guess it's nice to be considered 'essential' then....
Remember unemployed people
like me> non essential, & wanting to work?
Someone temporarily losing their non-essential service job is nothing compared to the disaster that is happening in hospitals across the country, especially New York City.
Grand, take a few months of w/out pay

and get back to us then

~S~

Sorry, but killing people to open up your non-essential job is not worth it for the country. STAY HOME AND SAVE LIVES! The country is at war with a PATHOGEN and people going to work in their non-essential business's provide the pathogen with a means to spread and kill more people.

There are homeless people out there in worse shape than these people at home from their non-essential business's. Don't aid the enemy, STAY HOME! This is a national effort to defeat the pathogen.
Non essential to who?

if your economic future depends on a small business that you built from the ground up its very essential to you

there are a lot of odd ducks on this forum who are retired or foreigners, or in some other way not part of the regular economy to begin with

but they dont represent most Americans
Essential typically means necessary for survival today. Essential does not mean necessary to retire to an acreage in 15 years.
I would not expect a liberal to understand free enterprise

libs tend to be students, government workers, cogs in a giant corporation or welfare bums

Not on USMB. They all seem to be business owners, work from home, independently wealthy, or early retired. I don't recall meeting one liberal on here that is a blue collar worker.

There’s a lot of prejudice against liberals. I’ve been told many times by USMB members that I cannot be successful simply because I have liberal political views.

I'm just giving my observation. I've been here almost five years, and have been in other forums before this one. It's like that everywhere I go. Every liberal is at least college educated. Every liberal has a business or is independently wealthy, or early retired because they made so much money in life. Me??? I'm the only truck driver in the place.

Why don't I believe it? Because I do know "real" wealthy people and business owners, and very few are for Democrat plans of ridiculous taxation, tons of business regulations, more government control of businesses, and a high national minimum wage. These are things the poor usually embrace.
Liberals claim to be business owners yet they think its as easy as putting a sign over the door and raking in the money

they are clueless
I've always been attracted to the upper quintile, albeit them usually being social outcasts , and what i've noted is they may be God's in whatever they do best, but often lack the simple down to earth common sense to apply it toward the rest of their existence

~S~
Kind of like what they did in 2008, where all the working folks got kind of screwed.
Consider it the government paying you to STAY HOME, just as we paid soldiers to go overseas and fight Nazi's in foreign countries in World War II
As I said before, the ESSENTIAL SERVICES ECONOMY IS BOOMING RIGHT NOW. Its never been a better time to be employed in the production and distribution of FOOD and MEDICINE!
Someone temporarily losing their non-essential service job is nothing compared to the disaster that is happening in hospitals across the country, especially New York City.

and get back to us then

~S~

Sorry, but killing people to open up your non-essential job is not worth it for the country. STAY HOME AND SAVE LIVES! The country is at war with a PATHOGEN and people going to work in their non-essential business's provide the pathogen with a means to spread and kill more people.

There are homeless people out there in worse shape than these people at home from their non-essential business's. Don't aid the enemy, STAY HOME! This is a national effort to defeat the pathogen.
Non essential to who?

if your economic future depends on a small business that you built from the ground up its very essential to you

there are a lot of odd ducks on this forum who are retired or foreigners, or in some other way not part of the regular economy to begin with

Essential typically means necessary for survival today. Essential does not mean necessary to retire to an acreage in 15 years.

libs tend to be students, government workers, cogs in a giant corporation or welfare bums

Silly billy. I’m a business owner but one who has their priorities straight.
Is so you should not be dumping hate on small businesses that being hit the hardest by this economic shutdown

I was only dumping on the idea that the economic shutdown is more important than the health and lives of our fellow Americans.
Bullshit

Your stupid comment about retiring in 15 years to acreage was nothing but you looking down on small businesses that are working on a small margin between success and failure

I was only looking down on you and your opinion. The small business owners I know that have shut down are doing so to help the community because that’s their first priority.

Your attitude reflects the opposite.
Thats a typical lib reaction to anyone that disagrees with you

But how can you be sure that all the small businesses you are laughing at are owned by republican white males who married their baby‘s momma’s and believe in God?

you could be celebrating the demise of some of your own kind

What the hell are you talking about?

I explained why I think you’re wrong. You’ve just whined and bitched about me.
I am reacting to your opening comment about retiring in 15 years to acreage that you have yet to take back

Was I not being PC enough for you?
You were being very lib pc by smearing a group that liberals detest
I wasn’t smearing a group. I was attacking your logic. You don’t speak for all small business owners. Or did I miss the vote making you the spokesman?
I wrote:

“if your economic future depends on a small business that you built from the ground up its very essential to you”

and you respond by babbling about retirement in 15 years to acreage

you clearly have led a sheltered life

yeah. And I responded by stating your logic is flawed. We are talking about responding to a crisis as a nation by working back to what is essential for the community.

And you responded by determining what is essential for an individual.

Your focusing on the individual over the community is not the right thing to do now.
What logic of mine led you to smear small business owners as fat cats?

You and other libs here have a dismissive attitude towards small business because they are not giggly ecstatic about throwing away years of hard word

but unlike your alleged little circle of libs, for most small businessmen this shutdown does not merely mean 16 years till they buy the private island in the Caribbean instead of only 15

You’re emotional. Get control of your feelings. I’m talking to you and you alone. You don’t represent every small business owner so stop pretending.

Im not dismissive of people losing their businesses. That’s why I supported pumping trillions of government aide to blunt the pain.

It’s your selfish attitude that I take issue with. All I’m saying is that we need to put aside your economic future for a minute to deal with a threat to the lives in our community first. Your dismissive attitude of what is going to get people hurt.

Call me heartless but in my book I worry a lot more about the death of people than I do about the death of a business.

Small business owners get a second chance after this is over. Dead people stay dead.

Now knock off the selfish attitude and act like an adult instead of a spoiled brat.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Not on USMB. They all seem to be business owners, work from home, independently wealthy, or early retired. I don't recall meeting one liberal on here that is a blue collar worker.

There’s a lot of prejudice against liberals. I’ve been told many times by USMB members that I cannot be successful simply because I have liberal political views.

I'm just giving my observation. I've been here almost five years, and have been in other forums before this one. It's like that everywhere I go. Every liberal is at least college educated. Every liberal has a business or is independently wealthy, or early retired because they made so much money in life. Me??? I'm the only truck driver in the place.

Why don't I believe it? Because I do know "real" wealthy people and business owners, and very few are for Democrat plans of ridiculous taxation, tons of business regulations, more government control of businesses, and a high national minimum wage. These are things the poor usually embrace.
Liberals claim to be business owners yet they think its as easy as putting a sign over the door and raking in the money

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Is so you should not be dumping hate on small businesses that being hit the hardest by this economic shutdown

I was only dumping on the idea that the economic shutdown is more important than the health and lives of our fellow Americans.
Bullshit

Your stupid comment about retiring in 15 years to acreage was nothing but you looking down on small businesses that are working on a small margin between success and failure

I was only looking down on you and your opinion. The small business owners I know that have shut down are doing so to help the community because that’s their first priority.

But how can you be sure that all the small businesses you are laughing at are owned by republican white males who married their baby‘s momma’s and believe in God?

I am reacting to your opening comment about retiring in 15 years to acreage that you have yet to take back

I wasn’t smearing a group. I was attacking your logic. You don’t speak for all small business owners. Or did I miss the vote making you the spokesman?
I wrote:

“if your economic future depends on a small business that you built from the ground up its very essential to you”

yeah. And I responded by stating your logic is flawed. We are talking about responding to a crisis as a nation by working back to what is essential for the community.

Your focusing on the individual over the community is not the right thing to do now.

You and other libs here have a dismissive attitude towards small business because they are not giggly ecstatic about throwing away years of hard word

but unlike your alleged little circle of libs, for most small businessmen this shutdown does not merely mean 16 years till they buy the private island in the Caribbean instead of only 15

You’re emotional. Get control of your feelings. I’m talking to you and you alone. You don’t represent every small business owner so stop pretending.

Im not dismissive of people losing their businesses. That’s why I supported pumping trillions of government aide to blunt the pain.

It’s your selfish attitude that I take issue with. All I’m saying is that we need to put aside your economic future for a minute to deal with a threat to the lives in our community first. Your dismissive attitude of what is going to get people hurt.

Call me heartless but in my book I worry a lot more about the death of people than I do about the death of a business.

Small business owners get a second chance after this is over. Dead people stay dead.

Now knock off the selfish attitude and act like an adult instead of a spoiled brat.

The word your looking for is “pissed”, at libs like you who smear small business owners you dont even know

you retire-in-15-years quote was not directed at me personally but at all small business owners

Sweden has said FUCK THIS NONSENSE..........They stayed open.....kids are going to school.......they did the warnings.................AND SAID LIFE GOES ON...................

Meaning..........MOST OF THEIR COUNTRY WILL GET THIS QUICK.............We shall see the STATISTICS of what that really means from SWEDEN.

Sounds like a good plan to get rid of your sickly and elderly. But think of the savings for their socialized medical care system.

I just cannot believe that the vast majority of the people who voted on this thread wanted the economy to open up again. Mankind will be wiped out because of stupidity.

We are now "woke" to these fucking viruses and knowing how to mitigate the risks and with the new fast tests frequent testing should allow us to work safely. The old and compromised need to stay safe. The economy needs to crank back up so that we can keep it healthy.
Wrong!!!
Prove it!!
I just cannot believe that the vast majority of the people who voted on this thread wanted the economy to open up again. Mankind will be wiped out because of stupidity.

We are now "woke" to these fucking viruses and knowing how to mitigate the risks and with the new fast tests frequent testing should allow us to work safely. The old and compromised need to stay safe. The economy needs to crank back up so that we can keep it healthy.
Wrong!!!
Prove it!!
The experts are saying we need physical distancing.

yes, and there is no reason why that cannot continue with a reasonable restart of the economy.
Restart it in what way?

gradually, in the states with low infection rates and in businesses that have minimal contact with the general public. We cannot just turn the faucet on full blast on one day, it has to be a sensible gradual reopening. If we don't do that the country could fall into anarchy and worse.
It is a bit early for that.

when will it be time?

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

The word your looking for is “pissed”, at libs like you who smear small business owners you dont even know

you retire-in-15-years quote was not directed at me personally but at all small business owners
It was directed at your selfish attitude.

Not all small business owners share your lack of concern about the health of the community. Some business owners do want to put profits before people. Those that don’t care about people deserve everyone’s derision.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

Small business owners get a second chance after this is over.

sure

uncle sam will send them a check

or two

or three

but that will not always make up for their life savings and years of hard work destroyed by china and globalism

yes, they have to do it

but unlike you they dont have to like it

Last edited:
I find it funny that you use the user name care 4 all, but ignore the FACT that one of the reasons that Italy had so many deaths from this was due to their socialized medicine plan (medicare for all) and its inability to deal with any kind of mass sickness.
Just when I think there is a limit to your stupid, you say "hold my beer". The situation in Italy is the EXACT opposite of what you just said. Italy's death rate is so much higher because they have more older people. Do you know WHY they have more older people, you witless clown? "Socialized Medicine" .

Our hospitals and ICUs are being overwhelmed. What will your excuse be when we start making the same kind of choices over who does or doesn't get a ventilator?

LOL, you never cease to amaze with your stupidity. They have more old people because their young people are not having kids because they cannot afford to support them in that socialistic system. And why can't they afford kids? Because the government is taxing the shit out of them trying to support a failing socialized medicine system. socialized medicine does not ensure longer lives, it only ensures a miserable life. You are so out of touch with reality, its amazing.

Please, by all means, support your claim with actual data to support it. How does younger Italians having fewer children equate to older Italians living longer?

And yes "socialized medicine" does just that, it prolongs life. The Influence of Universal Health Coverage on Life Expectancy at Birth (LEAB) and Healthy Life Expectancy (HALE): A Multi-Country Cross-Sectional Study which is why Italy has such a high mortality rate...they have a lot more older people than anywhere else.

Our hospitals are not being "overwhelmed". that may be true in NYC and parts of Cal, but no where else. Here in NOLA we have a high rate of corona cases but the latest data shows just over half of the hospital beds being used state wide. There is an outbreak in the city, but the rest of the state has very few cases and the hospitals are handling it.

No, phycophantic asswipe, it's not just NY and CA. It's Albany fucking Georgia, it's Virginia. It's towns in the rust belt and the bible belt, all without sufficient beds and equipment to handle the influx of patients they are going to get. This virus is coming to, and overwhelming, a hospital near you.

In NYC they now have the 1000 bed hospital ship to handle the non-corona cases, your idol Madcow said that the ship would never get there as Trump promised-------but it did.

Your lord and savior made you look stupid...again. And you didn't even need his help! Let me guess...some right wing site told you how the Dolt in Chief really "owned that lib Maddow", right? You didn't bother to check if they got their facts right? You should...

like all libs when defeated by the truth, you resort to juvenile insults and raving like a loon.

Your hate is all you have, its very sad.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

Not all small business owners share your lack of concern about the health of the community. Some business owners do want to put profits before people. Those that don’t care about people deserve everyone’s derision.
If it was merly forcing small business owners to work 16 years instead of 15 before retiring to acreage you might have a point

but thats only true in lib la la land

For most people the consequences will be much worse

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

Typical parasitic/socialist cliche

"profits before people"

People make a profit, they pay taxes to the government, then the government can provide said parasites, food stamps, Obama Hellcare, ventilators, face masks,

Government schools are a gargantuan fraud

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

sure

uncle same will send them a check

or two

or three

but that will not always make up for their life savings and years of hard work destroyed by china and globalism

yes, they have to it

Grow up.

I find it funny that you use the user name care 4 all, but ignore the FACT that one of the reasons that Italy had so many deaths from this was due to their socialized medicine plan (medicare for all) and its inability to deal with any kind of mass sickness.
Just when I think there is a limit to your stupid, you say "hold my beer". The situation in Italy is the EXACT opposite of what you just said. Italy's death rate is so much higher because they have more older people. Do you know WHY they have more older people, you witless clown? "Socialized Medicine" .

Our hospitals and ICUs are being overwhelmed. What will your excuse be when we start making the same kind of choices over who does or doesn't get a ventilator?

LOL, you never cease to amaze with your stupidity. They have more old people because their young people are not having kids because they cannot afford to support them in that socialistic system. And why can't they afford kids? Because the government is taxing the shit out of them trying to support a failing socialized medicine system. socialized medicine does not ensure longer lives, it only ensures a miserable life. You are so out of touch with reality, its amazing.

Our hospitals are not being "overwhelmed". that may be true in NYC and parts of Cal, but no where else. Here in NOLA we have a high rate of corona cases but the latest data shows just over half of the hospital beds being used state wide. There is an outbreak in the city, but the rest of the state has very few cases and the hospitals are handling it.

In NYC they now have the 1000 bed hospital ship to handle the non-corona cases, your idol Madcow said that the ship would never get there as Trump promised-------but it did.
goodness ALMIGHTY

The Italians are the longest living people in all of Europe... And second longest living people in the world, with Japan being number one....

That has ZERO to do with their kids having children or not.

In the case of the Japanese, its genetics and a healthy diet. could be some of the same in Italy. But its also true that the average age goes up when the young don't have kids, and that is exactly what is happening in Japan and Italy, so the answer is probably a combination of those two factors. Attributing it to socialized medicine is a poor attempt to score a political point, and it fails miserably.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

sure

or two

or three

yes, they have to it

Grow up.
What a throughly inadequate response

but its obvious you are gasping for air at this point

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

sure

or two

or three

yes, they have to it

Grow up.

Lots of people are suffering.

No one wants to hear your whiny complaining as if you’re the one that’s truly suffering.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

sure

or two

or three

yes, they have to it

Grow up.

No one wants to hear your whiny complaining as if you’re the one that’s truly suffering.
And no one wants to hear your petty hate toward small business owners

retire in 15 years to acreage?

get a clue why dont you?

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

sure

or two

or three

yes, they have to it

Grow up.

get a clue why dont you?

I only called out your selfish rhetoric. You don’t represent all small business owners and therefore I wasn’t criticizing all of them.

I doubt you’ll get this because instead of admitting your selfish attitude you hide behind small business owners to shield yourself from criticism.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

sure

or two

or three

yes, they have to it

Grow up.

get a clue why dont you?

I only called out your selfish rhetoric. You don’t represent all small business owners and therefore I wasn’t criticizing all of them.

I doubt you’ll get this because instead of admitting your selfish attitude you hide behind small business owners to shield yourself from criticism.
You did not call me out

you attacked all small business owners

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

sure

or two

or three

yes, they have to it

Grow up.

get a clue why dont you?

You did not call me out

you attacked all small business owners

And why you think you speak for all small business owners?

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

To the country as a whole. This is a national crises. Were fighting an enemy right now that requires Americans to isolate from each other as much as possible. That's reality. Your primary goal is to isolate your self as much as possible and keep yourself fed. That's why the government is sending Americans 2 Trillion dollars in aid. This is about survival, just like in a Tornado, Hurricane, War etc. When its over, you can go about repairing the damage. Right now, your primary concerns are food, water, shelter and isolation from other people.

The idea that shutting down the non-essential parts of the economy will destroy America forever is absurd. Germany and Japan survived World War II, and they had far more than just non-essential parts of their economy shut down. Those countries were in ruins at the end of 1945, totally bombed out from city to city and in the case of Japan NUKED.

Your county though should address anyone that has problems with FOOD, shelter, water, or electricity until this crises is over.

Wrong!!!
Prove it!!

Wrong!!!
Prove it!!
The experts are saying we need physical distancing.

yes, and there is no reason why that cannot continue with a reasonable restart of the economy.
Restart it in what way?

gradually, in the states with low infection rates and in businesses that have minimal contact with the general public. We cannot just turn the faucet on full blast on one day, it has to be a sensible gradual reopening. If we don't do that the country could fall into anarchy and worse.
It is a bit early for that.

when will it be time?
When it is safe. Trump is finally admitting how serious it is after 3 months if hoping it will go away. Pay attention.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

they are clueless

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

Bullshit

I wrote:

Isn't it a fact that socialists and fascists NEVER care for individual rights?

During times of national emergency, our nation has always focused at fighting the emergency at the cost of individual rights.

Previous generations haven’t been nearly so whiny about it.
Over a 100,000 Americans died in 1957 and 1968 ..........the world didn't get shut down for it..........

Perhaps Tricky dick caused a lot of the Stock Market BS with coming off Gold though..........so the Money laundered bets from the Federal Reserve don't screw the country when someone FARTS.

Still not nearly as bad as COVID-19.
'Based on population then versus now....I disagree.............and give that Statistics on these are EDUCATED GUESSES.........what people GUESS may be WRONG.........

The Virus will do what it wants to do..........you aren't gonna stop it......and they sure as hell haven't stopped it in China...........No damned way they did that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back