POLL: Open the economy up and go back to work - Stay home and shutdown

Do you support reopening many US businesses 4/13/20, or prefer keeping the US shutdown longer

• Yes, Re-open the US economy such as small businesses to keep them from going bankrupt

Votes: 92 69.2%
  • No, do not open up small or big US businesses, COVID-19 is too dangerous to rush opening

Votes: 41 30.8%

• Total voters
I would say information like this is why the lockdowns must continue.
by May 1st when we crawl outta our rabbit holes , private industry will be limping, our rights gone, and the Fed outta paper to print any more relief

~S~

I'm seeing a lot of discussion but can't figure out who has the majority.

To re-open the US economy in a limited fashion around Easter Monday (4/13/20) with masks, social distancing, no sports venues, no cruises, or major crowds, just minimal re-opening businesses. The object is to keep as many companies in-business as possible.

Or, keep the economy and businesses shutdown until the coronavirus (COVID-19) is under control as recommended by the doctors, even if that means that many businesses would NOT re-open due to the lost revenue and bankruptcy.

We can not let this thing beat us...The economy needs to get going again with the understanding that people must pay attention to their surroundings, and practice good hygine...

The only way to beat this thing, they way it has been proven to be defeated, is through extreme lockdown and testing. Lockdown and Testing are the two pillars. Until the PATHOGEN is defeated, non-essential business is irrelevant. This is a national crises and sacrifices must be made to defeat the enemy.

We won't have a country left if we allow the economy to cease to exist....

non-essential business does not = U.S. Economy

Think World War II. How many non-essential business's continued after December 7, 1941 and how vital were they to the overall economy?

Why don't you tell me Edge? 1941 is NOT 2020

Its a different year, but that's where the differences end as far as what the government and country can and must do to fight this new ENEMY!

So what should the government be doing that it is not doing?

The government needs to maximize all efforts at TESTING, building medical supplies and capacity, and locking down or keeping locked down as much of the country as possible. These efforts must continue until the virus is contained or destroyed.

all of those things are being done. Do you listen to the press briefings from the corona team?

To re-open the US economy in a limited fashion around Easter Monday (4/13/20) with masks, social distancing, no sports venues, no cruises, or major crowds, just minimal re-opening businesses. The object is to keep as many companies in-business as possible.

Or, keep the economy and businesses shutdown until the coronavirus (COVID-19) is under control as recommended by the doctors, even if that means that many businesses would NOT re-open due to the lost revenue and bankruptcy.

Just beginning my 3rd week of working from home, I am one of the lucky ones.

You saying there is a vaccine?

it appears so....

Annual deaths from influenza are 20-60k. It would take 20 years to get to 1.7 million deaths.

As you can see, your claim that COVID isn’t going to kill as many as influenza is unsupported.
so why incite the public into a panic, and literally stop the productive worker ant(s) from producing?
~S~

I think that is all Trump was trying to do, not scare the pants off people so that they refuse to go to work even though its relatively safe.

Cuomo had an upbeat presser today.
1. More people leaving the hospital each of the last 8-days.
2. Fewer people entering the hospitals the last few days. (a trend or a blip? we'll know next week)

Not to jinx us, but it looks from the last few days that the US curve is bending downward to a peak, like the EU appears to be doing. We'll know that in the next week or two.
View attachment 316848

I would say information like this is why the lockdowns must continue. We might, just might be starting to make some headway against this thing. Here is some other good information to report.

The percentage rate of increase in confirmed cases per day has been declining for a few days now:

March 24, 2020 - United States - 54,916
March 25, 2020 - United States - 68,489 - 24.7% increase
March 26, 2020 - United States - 85,594 - 24.97% increase
March 27, 2020 - United States - 104,256 - 21.8% increase
March 28, 2020 - United States - 123,776 - 18.7% increase
March 29, 2020 - United States - 142,224 - 14.9% increase

the trend seems to be going the right way. Trump's new date of 4/30 is looking possible.

June 30, 2020 is more realistic. You can't take any chances with this. Its so easy to transmit among people. A choir met for practice in Washington State on March 10, 2020. 60 people came in. They had hand sanitizer, no handshakes or hugs and practice social distancing keeping several feet between each person. No one who came were showing any symptoms.

45 out of the 60 choir members were infected with coronavirus. Of those 5 were hospitalized and two died.

This shows that despite hand cleaning and social distancing, just a couple of people not showing symptoms can infect a large group of people in a building.

No one should be allowed to go back to work at a non-essential service until they have tested NEGATIVE for coronavirus. Thanks to Trump, we don't have the capability to do that yet.

No its not. the curve is flattening,
WTF?

Pure bullshit

Do you just lie for the hell of it?

look at the CDC stats. turn off CNN, they are filling your little head with BS.
That's bullshit. If you have a link post it

Otherwise stop lying

From the article:
A recent CDC projection estimated that the U.S. coronavirus epidemic could infect between 160 million and 214 million people over a period of more than a year — and kill anywhere from 200,000 to 1.7 million people in the country.

So much for your claim that the worst case scenario isn’t worse than influenza.

you missed "in more than a year" compare that to 2 years of flu deaths. Those projections are not recent, they are several weeks old and the current ones are significantly lower.

I am not saying we should ignore it, just that the panic is unnecessary.

Annual deaths from influenza are 20-60k. It would take 20 years to get to 1.7 million deaths.

As you can see, your claim that COVID isn’t going to kill as many as influenza is unsupported.

Stats for the USA as of yesterday. From the CDC

142,000 cases of Corona virus
2500 deaths
4800 recoveries

mortality rate 1.75%

18,000,000 flu like illnesses
24.000 deaths
.13% mortality rate

So which one has the biggest impact on Americans and our medical system?
I’m not going to let you crawfish away from this.

You said the CDC’s worst projections indicated this would be less severe than the influenza. Your own link proves you wrong.

If COVID ends tomorrow, then it’ll clearly have a much smaller impact on Americans than influenza. But that’s unfortunately not going to happen.

that link gave old projections, that have been proven incorrect. The current stats that I posted earlier today give a much more accurate projection.

If you can do basic math, run the numbers for corona and flu out for two more months and see what you get------------then report back and admit that you were wrong.

BTW, the crawfish season is doing quite well in spite of all the restaurants being closed. Take out is booming

Projections yesterday were for 100-200k deaths, by Fauci and the president himself. That’s higher than any recent year’s tally of deaths from influenza by a factor of 2 to 10.

The statistics you just gave were not projections at all but current tallies. Go ahead and provide an updated projection if you think you’re still correct.

They both said that those were worst case projections that Fauci and Brix emphasized were not expected because of what we are doing to reduce the infection rate.

but you are free to panic if it makes you feel good.

Again, I don’t know how many times I’ve explained this, I’m not panicking.

But you’re not having an honest conversation. You said that even the worst case projections from the CDC showed not as many people will die from COVID as influenza. Time and time again you’ve either retreated from that position without admitting it.

Fauci and Birx have a point though. Fewer people will die because of restrictions that we’ve put in place. If fewer people die because of the drastic restrictions put in place, can you really say it wasn’t as severe? I’d say obviously not.

Of course its severe, the only point I have been trying to make is that we have severe medical issues every year. This one is scary because its new and drugs to fight it are just now being created. but it does not warrant the massive panic and political bullshit that is being created.

Come on, a corona relief bill that includes raises for congress members, funding for abortion, funding for the Kennedy center, that is a perfect example of what is wrong in DC.

it appears so....

so why incite the public into a panic, and literally stop the productive worker ant(s) from producing?
~S~

I think that is all Trump was trying to do, not scare the pants off people so that they refuse to go to work even though its relatively safe.

2. Fewer people entering the hospitals the last few days. (a trend or a blip? we'll know next week)

Not to jinx us, but it looks from the last few days that the US curve is bending downward to a peak, like the EU appears to be doing. We'll know that in the next week or two.
View attachment 316848

I would say information like this is why the lockdowns must continue. We might, just might be starting to make some headway against this thing. Here is some other good information to report.

The percentage rate of increase in confirmed cases per day has been declining for a few days now:

the trend seems to be going the right way. Trump's new date of 4/30 is looking possible.

June 30, 2020 is more realistic. You can't take any chances with this. Its so easy to transmit among people. A choir met for practice in Washington State on March 10, 2020. 60 people came in. They had hand sanitizer, no handshakes or hugs and practice social distancing keeping several feet between each person. No one who came were showing any symptoms.

45 out of the 60 choir members were infected with coronavirus. Of those 5 were hospitalized and two died.

This shows that despite hand cleaning and social distancing, just a couple of people not showing symptoms can infect a large group of people in a building.

No one should be allowed to go back to work at a non-essential service until they have tested NEGATIVE for coronavirus. Thanks to Trump, we don't have the capability to do that yet.

you had a good post going until you added the political bullshit. thanks to Trump and his team, we have more testing capacity than any other country in the world and we are doing more testing than any country in the world.

STFU with the politics and we can beat this thing.

We can not let this thing beat us...The economy needs to get going again with the understanding that people must pay attention to their surroundings, and practice good hygine...

The only way to beat this thing, they way it has been proven to be defeated, is through extreme lockdown and testing. Lockdown and Testing are the two pillars. Until the PATHOGEN is defeated, non-essential business is irrelevant. This is a national crises and sacrifices must be made to defeat the enemy.

Hmmm, how about if we treat it like we treated chicken pox and measles? continue our lives and people get it, recover, and then have a life time immunity?

What is gained by stopping the virus and destroying the country?

That idea would kill 1 million Americans by the end of April. That would be a disaster which is why every government on the planet is not doing that.

The country is not going to be destroyed by shutting down non-essential services. The United States shut down thousands of business's during World War II that were not essential to the war effort.

Right now, millions of American lives are at stake because this virus and the deaths from it are growing exponentially. It is not like some other disease. It is a deadly pathogen that is easily transmissible.

Were talking about people's lives here.

you are wrong, the mortality rate of corona has been shown to be very close to the annual flu. THIS IS NOT A DISASTER THAT IS GOING TO DESTROY THE WORLD.

When ignorant people like you and some of the Trump-hating media pukes spew this garbage, you are creating a panic situation that is totally unnecessary.

This thing will play itself out very soon. continuing to shut down the country will kill a lot more people than the virus ever could.

I am still waiting for one of you prophets of doom to tell us how many of the old sick people who have died with the virus would have died anyway from their underlying conditions. Until you can do that, all the stats are meaningless.

The average seasonal flu death rate is .1%

The average coronavirus death rate in the United States is 1.77%

The average coronavirus death rate in Italy is 11.03%

So the coronavirus death is anywhere from 17 times to 110 times as deadly as season flu.

More importantly ask yourself this: If this is nothing more serious then seasonal flu, why are cities building new make shift hospitals and make shift morgues? Why are hospitals at capacity with their ICU Beds? Why are there not enough Ventilators?

If you take time to think about and answer those questions, you will realize that stating this is nothing more serious than seasonal flu is total rubbish.

Are you really comparing Italy's demographic to the United States? This is why we can't count on MSM or people to remain calm, and not spread propaganda.

Were at the start of this crises, and only a fool would ignore what is going on in Italy.

Just to support your point about Italy, at yesterday's presser Dr. Birx said that the EU countries are on average about 9-years older than the US. That could explain, at least in part, why they are getting creamed by COVID-19. The graph below divides the US number to make the populations equal. It looks like the Italy curve is starting to bend down toward a peak, before starting downward.
1585577904751.png

The answer to that question is above my pay grade. I’ll let the experts decide what’s best.
Fortunately, not much is above my pay grade. People need to be free to use common sense. Unfortunately, common sense is the antithesis of government.
  1. Stay home if you don't feel well.
  2. Avoid coughing or sneezing on people and vise versa.
  3. Wash hands often.
  4. Avoid contact and crowds where possible unless necessary.
  5. Reduce activities where possible to minimize social contact.
  6. Eat well, get good sleep.
And we will be fine.

Think World War II. How many non-essential business's continued after December 7, 1941 and how vital were they to the overall economy?

Its a different year, but that's where the differences end as far as what the government and country can and must do to fight this new ENEMY!

The government needs to maximize all efforts at TESTING, building medical supplies and capacity, and locking down or keeping locked down as much of the country as possible. These efforts must continue until the virus is contained or destroyed.

all of those things are being done. Do you listen to the press briefings from the corona team?

Do we have the testing capacity we need? NO Do we have the medical supplies and support we need? NO Is there pressure to do away with the lockdown from uninformed or ignorant people? YES

Were not doing enough until these problems are solved.

Do we have the testing capacity we need? NO Do we have the medical supplies and support we need? NO Is there pressure to do away with the lockdown from uninformed or ignorant people? YES

Were not doing enough until these problems are solved.

yes, its not over until its over. we all agree on that.

Our testing capability is increasing every day, we now have tests the give a result within 15 minutes or less. Yes, we have the medical supplies that we need, American business has stepped up to meet the need. and of course everyone wants to get back to normal as soon as its safe to do so.

We understand where you are coming from, your underlying theme from the beginning has been political, we get it. You are fooling no one.

June 30, 2020 is more realistic
Just in time to grill our dogs for the 4th.....

~S~

A partial reopening. Testing needs to be in place, and would not invite anyone to your party unless they have taken a test that their negative for coronavirus. It only took a few asymptomatic people with coronavirus at a choir meeting of 60 people to make 45 of them sick and kill two of them after they met for two hours back on March 10 in Washington State. They practiced all the hygine and social distancing measures while they were at the meeting. It failed. It spread among them because they were in the same large room.

So anyone can get a test in 15 minutes?

None of your bullshit is true...as usual redfish

What I posted is 100% true. Those tests are being administered at a drive thru testing facility in NOLA right now, as well as in many other places.

But not everyone should get tested, only those with symptoms that MAY be corona, most are not corona, most test results are negative. There is absolutely no logical or medical reason to test 330 million people.

it appears so....

~S~

View attachment 316848

And you're cool with that? What happened to "we must lift restrictions now!" ? Your lord and master changed his tune and you just dance merrily along?

So anyone can get a test in 15 minutes?

None of your bullshit is true...as usual redfish

What I posted is 100% true. Those tests are being administered at a drive thru testing facility in NOLA right now, as well as in many other places.

But not everyone should get tested, only those with symptoms that MAY be corona, most are not corona, most test results are negative. There is absolutely no logical or medical reason to test 330 million people.
There is if you want people back to work.

Forum List

Back